PyTFall > PyTFall: Game design

Characters+traits concept

<< < (3/8) > >>

DarkTl:
Updated the second post, I'm beginning to sort traits out little by little.

--- Quote from: Xela on January 03, 2015, 10:34:04 AM ---I can't tell if you're being serious or messing with us as part of Holidays cheer

--- End quote ---
Sorry, it's new year+birthday+vacation, things were vague  ::)

You misunderstood my intentions though. I'm referring to the fact that if you know all character stats because you just created her, it's less interesting for you. Thus I wonder how could we randomize stuff.

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 03, 2015, 12:21:46 PM ---You misunderstood my intentions though. I'm referring to the fact that if you know all character stats because you just created her, it's less interesting for you. Thus I wonder how could we randomize stuff.

--- End quote ---

There is no way around it really. You'll know traits, magic, occupation, relative stats/skills of any character you create. As I've said, randomization can be achieved through the modding files.

DarkTl:
Oh, of course I know traits because I'm familiar with characters.
But I don't want to know their level, stats, rank, occupation and location sometimes. To make things clear, let's just say anything that is not specified in data files will be 100% random.

I studied a bit principles of describing personality meanwhile (a professor of psychology is my colleague, it was his birthday yesturday). I can say that if we describe characters like pro psychologists do, then we'll have even more traits than currently.
So archetypes is the way to go, though I don't think it's possible to make all of them mutually exclusive.

livingforever:
Hi!

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 04, 2015, 04:52:12 AM ---I studied a bit principles of describing personality meanwhile (a professor of psychology is my colleague, it was his birthday yesturday). I can say that if we describe characters like pro psychologists do, then we'll have even more traits than currently.
So archetypes is the way to go, though I don't think it's possible to make all of them mutually exclusive.

--- End quote ---
I don't know what you've been reading, but the first thing that comes to my mind when trying to describe personalities is Briggs Myers' model (which is mostly based on C. G. Jung's work).
It would essentially require four binary choices (8 traits in total):

* Extroverted <-> Introverted
* Sensing <-> Intuitive
* Thinking <-> Feeling
* Perceiving <-> JudgingThese few choices allow a quite extensive psychological profile.
Infos on the resulting types here - if you don't trust this source, use Google: "16 personalities briggs myer"
Have fun!

Xela:
Guys, try to think in a framework of what we can effectively use in the game and how instead of modeling it of rl concepts. We need simple, almost stereotypical personality types that leave as little questions as possible.

http://wiki.anime-sharing.com/hgames/index.php/Artificial_Academy_2/Character_Creation/Personalities

could work with some trimming (Like we wouldn't need Joyful, Lively and Cheerful as separate types for example). Another option is to make a list of traits in use today that are in use today and see how we can mutate that to a better system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version