PyTFall > PyTFall: Game design

Characters+traits concept

<< < (4/8) > >>

DarkTl:
Living, I'm not sure if you really think that Briggs Myers' model will cover all personality traits, or that we can use traits like "Judging" in a hentai game without dozen of coders. If you do, then I'd suggest you to focus on tagger  ::)

Also, the point of new system is to have less traits, not more. The model will force us to create even more traits to reflect all facets of the personality, since it describes them strictly separately.

DarkTl:
Ok, let's summarize stuff.

1) We have 10 main archetypes (a good number). A character can have 1 archetype. It's not exactly always true, but usualy it is more or less. If we'll have major issues, we always can make 2 per character in the future.
Also there is mindless "archetype", but it requires special coding and it's a part of ST mostly, so we can add it later if needed, or handle it differently. Even if we add it, it simply will look like no archetype at all in gui.

2) We have 6 sets of modificators. They describe mutually exclusive parts of personality that are easy to notice and to use in the game. They are not mandatory, unlike archetypes. It's possible to add more, but it's much harder to use them in the code. For example, there are very rude characters, like Tayuya from Naruto. So in theory we could use traits for politeness. But in fact, refinement is politeness too. And we also cannot afford to write all dialogues three times (polite, rude, normal version).

3) We have flags. Combat Training/Adventurer/Assassin/Magic Gift can be easily replaced by skills, it's up to Xela, if he wishes to. Some flags will be a part of base races.

4) I'm not really sure how else to describe body. I guess we could use stuff like skin and hair color as flags for customers, but there are too many possible variations, I think.

5) Sex traits were OK already. Can't say I want to add something. Again, in theory there are different views on sex, but in a hentai game with brothels we hardly can afford morality of this kind.

Now I'll think about traits invisibility. And I probably have to make custom icons for archetypes by myself, I doubt it's possible to find decent ones.

Xela:
I am not sure what you mean by modifiers here. Personality types don't need to be anywhere near perfect.

Keep it simple, we allow possibility of modding for unique characters.

DarkTl:
Anyone can be optimistic or pessimistic, for example. It's not tied to archetypes. They also have cool effects that I want to keep.  I expect some of them to be useful for ST too.

Basically, modifiers matter only in special, uncommon cases, and they carry effects too. Archetypes matter all the time.
In terms of coding we should focus on archetypes, and make checks for modifiers only when we want to.

livingforever:
Hi!

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 04, 2015, 02:03:49 PM ---Living, I'm not sure if you really think that Briggs Myers' model will cover all personality traits, or that we can use traits like "Judging" in a hentai game without dozen of coders. If you do, then I'd suggest you to focus on tagger  ::)

--- End quote ---
That sounds kind of rude. Not only do you discredit very widely accepted psychologists, you're essentially saying "mind your own business and do your job" to me.
I'm sure you didn't mean to be offensive, but I still wanted to point this out.

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 04, 2015, 04:35:40 PM ---1) We have 10 main archetypes (a good number). A character can have 1 archetype. It's not exactly always true, but usualy it is more or less. If we'll have major issues, we always can make 2 per character in the future.
[...]
2) We have 6 sets of modificators. They describe mutually exclusive parts of personality that are easy to notice and to use in the game.

--- End quote ---
I don't see why this is better than 16 archetypes (always mutually exclusive) without modifiers, based on psychology instead of mangas.

Then again, what you proposed is a lot more cleaned up than what is currently in place and I don't want to complain about improvements too much.
Have fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version