Author Topic: Default pictures usage  (Read 3801 times)

Offline chacal06

Default pictures usage
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »
Hello,

From what I could see playing the game, it seems the pictures from the default folders don't get used much (unless there's something I missed in the config file that is).

I  think of the default folder as a backup folder where you can save faceless pics for the game to use in case you are a bit short on pics for a specific girl. As it stands they're not getting much use.

If a girl is missing a picture category (such as group) the game will display a basic sex pic from the girl's folder rather than a default group pic.
 If a girl's folder is completely empty, the game will display a default profile picture (no problem here) and a default basic sex picture for any event (with the notable exceptions of birth and death events). As a result I don't think there is a situation where any default picture other than profile, preg, sex or death will ever get displayed, which sorts of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

It also means the les / group / beast etc. pictures of the default folder are completely useless. They will never get displayed unless you copy/paste them in a girl's folder.

This game has been out for some time now so I am guessing it is a deliberate choice and not an oversight.
 I suppose some players would rather see a picture of the girl, even if it doesn't fit, than a faceless pic.
 I'd rather have the game check the girl's folder for a fitting picture (event wise) and use one from the default folder if there isn't one.

Is there any chance the way the game handles the default pictures is going to change ?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Default pictures usage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
Sounds like a bug, although I couldn't tell you what the initial intention was. One for necno, I think...

Offline sgb

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »
I think I mentioned this in the bug thread.  Dagoth said that is was intended for the defaults to only get called on now for girls that are missing completely.  If there are SOME images in the folder, then it just pics something at random from that folder instead of calling for a default.  The only defaults that seem to get called now are the pregnant images.

It made perfect sense to me that defaults would get used if a particular category of image was missing from a folder.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
i noted that when you get a new girl and if she becomes pregnant and there isn't a pregnant picture it uses the default one no matter if there are other pictures
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
As a result I don't think there is a situation where any default picture other than profile, preg, sex or death will ever get displayed, which sorts of defeats the purpose in my opinion.
That sounds basically right. For any specific sex categories which are missing, it falls back to a regular sex image for the girl. Other than those specific images, all others fall back to default images if missing. I don't see how the purpose is defeated; images from the default folder are only used when absolutely needed, as a fallback.

I suppose some players would rather see a picture of the girl, even if it doesn't fit, than a faceless pic.
Pretty much.

Offline chacal06

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »
That sounds basically right. For any specific sex categories which are missing, it falls back to a regular sex image for the girl. Other than those specific images, all others fall back to default images if missing. I don't see how the purpose is defeated; images from the default folder are only used when absolutely needed, as a fallback.

Why put anything other than profile/preg/death/sex pictures in the default folder then ?
They'll never get used. Might as well get rid of them for the next release.

I realize it is a matter of personal preference and not a real issue though.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
since they are already there could there just not be a check, instead of just having it directing it to imagetype_sex?
maybe something like this (not complete... I just changed the else into an else if and a few little things)
Code: [Select]
    case IMGTYPE_ANAL:
            if(girl->m_GirlImages->m_Images[IMGTYPE_ANAL].m_NumImages > 0)
                ImgType = IMGTYPE_ANAL;
            else if
                if(girl->m_GirlImages->m_Images[IMGTYPE_SEX].m_NumImages == 0)
                return m_DefImages->m_Images[IMGTYPE_ANAL].IsAnimatedSurface(img);
so that it checks to see if there are any pics (then would used them) and if there's none checks for the default otherwise goes to the correct image category.
it's probably more difficult then that (since that scrap if code doesn't load the images just directs what images to use), so if its not do able that's no problem.

on another note, I was reading the file (actually stumbled upon ^that^ code by accident)
there was some interesting dice rolling happening (directly after the stuff for the current script for the sex acts). is it used any where is there a plan to use it some where?

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »
I don't remember what half the dice rolls are for any more :D

But yes the defaults are used to display pictures in categories that are missing pictures for a particular girl. They worked when I first created them and I don't think I've changed the code afterwards. With the quality of image sets available the default pictures probably aren't used much at all... except in cases where the creator of the image set forgot something.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)