Author Topic: <-- Archived -->  (Read 112623 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
If you want to know, imagine how player at first trains warriors in schools as long as it's more or less cheap, then buys cheap training dummies (as misc items) and continues to train experienced warriors with this crap.

Well, even the most skilled boxers in the world still use punching bags, do they not? It's a matter of balance, dummies are supposed to give a very slow bonus compared to schools. Like I said, it's your call, in this case it is literally one extra line of code :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Sure they do. But I doubt they use cheap, straw punching bags. Furthermore, in PyTFall you probably can find a professional, decent training dummy in dungeons only  :)

One more thing. I know you decided to leave it out, but I think about rare items slightly reducing upkeep, so no additional micromanagement, no questions why you shouldn't pay for non equiped item, etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:00:19 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
One more thing. I know you decided to leave it out, but I think about rare items slightly reducing upkeep, so no additional micromanagement, no questions why you shouldn't pay for non equiped item, etc.

Reducing or increasing? You can give it a go, but don't make items more complicated than they have to be. It stops being fun if player is forced to keep an eye on to many things at once.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Reducing. I've just stumbled upon great icons of trees and thought about a little fruit tree misc item (since the girl is eating its fruits, you don't need to pay for her food at job as much as before).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Reducing. I've just stumbled upon great icons of trees and thought about a little fruit tree misc item (since the girl is eating its fruits, you don't need to pay for her food at job as much as before).

LoL

You have no idea of how insane that sounds :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

If you say so. I personally find it amusing, just like custom meetings with some persona characters in Ncog folder. A good game should bring a smile from time to time.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
If you say so. I personally find it amusing, just like custom meetings with some persona characters in Ncog folder. A good game should bring a smile from time to time.

Fair enough ;)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

A question about game logic.
Let's say I make a potion restoring all hp. In many games it's just means that the potion restores insane amount of health rather than sets its current value to max. It won't be a problem if I write something like mod health = 10000?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:15:17 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
A question about game logic.
Let's say I make a potion restoring all hp. In many games it's just means that the potion restores insane amount of health rather than sets its current value to max. It won't be a problem if I write something like mod health = 10000?

Not a problem at all. It will work as you describe.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

I hope we don't have to write all item's properties in its description like in wm to make sure player will know about them?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
I hope we don't have to write all item's properties in its description like in wm to make sure player will know about them?

Write what you feel like writing. I don't mind if part of the items function remains a mystery. I would like to avoid revealing everything an item does (that is perfectly doable) because it will kill mystery of certain items.

Alternatively we could add a field like 'hidden', setting it to true or false. If hidden is true, only description is available, otherwise everything is reported.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

Alternatively we could add a field like 'hidden', setting it to true or false. If hidden is true, only description is available, otherwise everything is reported.
I like the idea. While you can't possibly know all properties of some artifact from dungeons, you do know properties of mass-producing items from local city shops.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
I like the idea. While you can't possibly know all properties of some artifact from dungeons, you do know properties of mass-producing items from local city shops.

Ok, I was hoping description would be enough be enough, but building extra screen displaying item stats shouldn't be hard.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

I wounder what happenes if I set mtemp of a misc item to 0. Will it work like usual item, simply giving bonuses to stats when equipped?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
I wounder what happenes if I set mtemp of a misc item to 0. Will it work like usual item, simply giving bonuses to stats when equipped?

Nope, it will do the same thing as if it was set to 1, apply items effects every day.

===========
Edit: Unless you wish for a different behavior, it's a stupid coincidence but I was writing code for mtemp field of misc items slot when I saw your message :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:43:26 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?