Author Topic: Damn! Damn! DAMN!  (Read 5458 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Damn! Damn! DAMN!
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
I just accidentally deleted half of cGirls.cpp and then wrote and closed the file without realising what I'd done.

I can restore from SVN with 6000 lines of code I pretty much have to, but it's a whole day's work down the toilet.

Damn! And Thrice Damn!

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
Re: Damn! Damn! DAMN!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:30:17 AM »
I'm sorry anyway I can help.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:41 AM »
Ah, it's not so bad. I can get half of the changes back from the ruined file. The rest ... well I know what the problems are this time, so it will at least be faster.

I've been trying to find some of the child related issues flagged up by the faster pregnancy time allowed by the last lot of config file fixes. Are you still working on those? I was carving away at the pregnancy code, but it occurs to me I might be intruding into your area with that. Perhaps I should leave it and look at something else.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
I've been more working on HHH then WM.  The only reason I wanted to overhaul the pregnancy code was due to the save issue, which I think I finally got.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
OK then, I'll  recreate the code.

Shouldn't be that bad a job.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »
Ouch!  I wish I didn't know that feeling.  Kinda reminds me of when I typed in rm -rf * in the wrong terminal of my linux server late one night...
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »
Always save twice.  Preferably once to disk or jump drive.  This I have learned in college.
Still lurking.

exodia91

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »
reminds me when my 15 year old computer died and took my WIP rpg maker game with it. I was doing pretty well on it too... *weeps*

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
Always save twice.  Preferably once to disk or jump drive.  This I have learned in college.

Wouldn't have helped. I was saving every few minutes as I always do.  Trouble was I kit a key combination that deleted from the cursor position to near the end of the file. Then, not noticing this, I saved it so I could compile and test, and overwrote the days work.

The problem was that I did save, you see... 

Offline letmein

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »
If you're going to spend more than two hours on something, it's always profitable to alternate save locations to at least two versions.  Hence, two saves (granted, one of them is incomplete, but losing half an hour of effort is better than a day's).
Still lurking.