Author Topic: Is WM still under development?  (Read 10645 times)

Offline leiric

Is WM still under development?
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
In the sense of 'is it still being worked on'? I get the feeling from the forums that the answer might be no, but I'm hoping to get the opposite answer.
I don't like you.

Offline ghen

Re: Is WM still under development?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
the svn is freely available.  You are welcome add to it, fix bugs, etc.

Offline leiric

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer! So this means, if I'm reading you correctly, that the original dev team has left the project to its fate. Sad story.
I don't like you.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Necno (the original singular and main dev) is working on a new project (Birthright) in what free time he has, and is no longer working on WM.
Docclox is on hiatus though he's said that he eventually plans to come back and finish up some things.
I've also been very very busy with other things and had gotten tired of working on WM. However, if I eventually have free time for it and the itch to work on it, which is fairly likely, I may do some further work on the project at some point. So... on hiatus as well.
I can't really speak for the remaining devs (WonderDog, delta224, anondb, Mirroar, myrikhan), but it's been a while since we've heard from one of them.

So... currently, nobody is working on it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:48:15 PM by Dagoth »

Offline leiric

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
@Dagoth: My thanks for the detailed answer, though I can't say I'm happy to hear it. :S

For years now, I've been playing with the idea of making a game that would be very similar to WM; the main difference being, that it would be done in PHP/MySQL and - obviously,- it would be multiplayer, but its mechanics would be much the same as WM's. Would you have any objections if I took advantage of the ideas in WM and used them in creating this 'WM-online'?

I'm aware that it's open source now, still, I'd like the approval of (at least some of) the original devs.
I don't like you.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
I guess necno would be the main person to ask, but for my part I don't see any problem with it and of course there's the obvious benefit of possibly having a cool new game after a while.

Offline zartog

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
Rather startling, google isn't listing pink petal games anymore when I literally search: "pink petal games",
if it wasn't for the WM wiki page i don't know if i would have been able to get back here.  Odd.  Maybe it's just google search engine acting weird.  Although it did list lots of sites with info about the site, just not the site.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I thought WM was shutdown or something for a few minutes of desperate searching.

Offline leiric

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
I guess necno would be the main person to ask, but for my part I don't see any problem with it and of course there's the obvious benefit of possibly having a cool new game after a while.

Thank you, I will ask him then.

Rather startling, google isn't listing pink petal games anymore when I literally search: "pink petal games",
if it wasn't for the WM wiki page i don't know if i would have been able to get back here.  Odd.  Maybe it's just google search engine acting weird.  Although it did list lots of sites with info about the site, just not the site.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I thought WM was shutdown or something for a few minutes of desperate searching.

I'm glad the wiki helped you at least, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for it around here; I seem to be the only one adding stuff to it. :S
I don't like you.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »

...Uh-oh.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
For years now, I've been playing with the idea of making a game that would be very similar to WM; the main difference being, that it would be done in PHP/MySQL and - obviously,- it would be multiplayer, but its mechanics would be much the same as WM's. Would you have any objections if I took advantage of the ideas in WM and used them in creating this 'WM-online'?

I'm aware that it's open source now, still, I'd like the approval of (at least some of) the original devs.

Help yourself, as far as I'm concerned. Ideas are free. The setting belongs to necno, so you'd want his OK before you set anything in Crossgate, but everything else should be fair game :)

Offline leiric

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »
Help yourself, as far as I'm concerned. Ideas are free. The setting belongs to necno, so you'd want his OK before you set anything in Crossgate, but everything else should be fair game :)

Thanks! I already pm'd necno about this, but so far I received no reply; however, I won't have time to seriously begin coding in the next few months anyway. As for the setting, I don't think I will be using it, so this would not be an issue.
I don't like you.

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
wow, I just googled the actual address/url, and it didn't even pop up. though there were a lot of sites linking here
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:17:05 PM by fires_flair »

Offline alexpn

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
wow, I just googled the actual address/url, and it didn't even pop up. though there were a lot of sites linking here
Google not show all sites in co.cc domain afaik.

Offline Ctwo

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »

If you do start working on your idea would you drop a few links here? While I'm not a programmer I like to think I have a fairly good head for what will and won't work for game mechanics. I'm sure there are a lot of other people that would be currious too.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 03:51:39 AM »