devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3816173 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5535 on: August 21, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Sorry for all the "new guy" troubleshooting going on here.

We just need proper guides...

>>>

Unique characters go to:

Code: [Select]
game/content/chars/Naruto/*Image Folders + JSONS.
Random characters go to:

game/content/rchars/elfs/*Image Folders + JSONS.*elfs bit is not required, I just use it for better sorting.

If you managed to launch the game, rest should be perfectly fine. .rpy files can be thrown "whereever the hell" as long as it is above the "game/" folder.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5536 on: August 21, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »
No idea... Gismo said the same. I get very visible delays when dissolving to the map screen, when I click on Window's X to close the software, when quickly moving the mouse over the new buttons with locations and etc.
Nope, nothing like that.
Though I have no idea how to return to the brothel from the map  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5537 on: August 21, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
There is a return to main screen button there :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Gismo

« Reply #5538 on: August 21, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »
Though I have no idea how to return to the brothel from the map  :D

For educational purposes, I removed the exit button.
Because we had two buttons with one functional  :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5539 on: August 21, 2015, 02:55:35 PM »
Ah, I see. It has a tooltip "return to main screen", so I fugured it will lead me to the main menu.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5540 on: August 21, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
I've managed to make some great progress on jobs/buildings tonight, there is still tons of work to be done but the system now works directly off buildings instead of stripped testing functions. I'll close the proof of concept issue, it's not officially proven :)

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5541 on: August 22, 2015, 06:50:15 PM »
What is the value of nonexistent flag? Let's say I set "quest_no_sex" flag for all characters with unique quests, and as long as this flag is true, they will refuse to do it no matter what. But all others don't have it false, they simply don't have it at all.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5542 on: August 22, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
It's None but proper python if the other option is true is:

if not char.flag("my_flag"):
    # Normal operations
else:
    # Refuse in case of True

It's actually kind if fun to have stuff like:

a = True
b = not a
b is False here.
b = not not a b would be True :)

I was away for the whole day so I didn't get anything done... going to push some code I wrote yesterday and fall asleep.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5543 on: August 22, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »
Question for anyone who knows:

If I have these girl packs installed in my dev game and I attempt a commit (my name on git is the same as it is here by the way) will it not commit those packs to the project?

Also, there was no "chars" or "rchars" folders inside of "content" in the project that I cloned from git, I added them and placed the girl packs within as instructed. Was this supposed to be as such, or was it intended to come with these folders and I simply cloned an incorrect version (I fail to see how that could happen, but stranger things have happened with git).

"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5544 on: August 23, 2015, 03:45:49 AM »
Question for anyone who knows:

If I have these girl packs installed in my dev game and I attempt a commit (my name on git is the same as it is here by the way) will it not commit those packs to the project?

Also, there was no "chars" or "rchars" folders inside of "content" in the project that I cloned from git, I added them and placed the girl packs within as instructed. Was this supposed to be as such, or was it intended to come with these folders and I simply cloned an incorrect version (I fail to see how that could happen, but stranger things have happened with git).

As far as I understand, it is intended. Currently the git only updates coding files, data files and a few (button type) small graphic files for functionality.

Perhaps this is for bandwidth issues, but either way the chars/rchars folders take up the largest amount of space by far, and normally get relatively few updates.
So, as far as I remember since the beginning of switching to git/sourceforge (from dropbox) they've had mega or some other download site take the hit for holding all the heavy media files.

And yes, it's more troublesome when you're just getting into it, but when we were using dropbox it seriously took forever trying to pull all that data when I first hopped in.

and as far as your question, I believe the ".gitignore" file is currently preventing that from uploading. (dont quote me on that, I'm not entirely sure how all that works),
but as long as it doesn't show the files marked in the left pane in Hg Workbench (when you're going in to commit), it shouldn't be trying to upload.

And yes, if the most recent update you have is from 2015-07-13 by Alex, titled Слияние. that should be correct. (revision 938)

or at least, that's the latest one I have.

update: looks like the last update was 11 hours ago.

haha, I look like a noob. don't even have the latest information. lol

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:24:41 AM by Armegetton »
This could be the end ...

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5545 on: August 23, 2015, 04:24:49 AM »
I'm just going to move myself to this thread to consolidate everything, no need to have you guys jumping back and forth to the other thread.

I cloned the project, threw in a few packs, launched it with renpy, and it loaded. I went to start a new game and got this jargon:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

Every other button works (load game, credits, etc.) but when I attempt to launch into a new game that's what I get. That is more path errors than I care to discern for myself. Admittedly I wasn't sure where to put everything so I put it where it seemed to be appropriate. The girl packs (both their image folders and data files) I put in games/library/characters and the testing.rpy file Xela gave me I put in the top level (just in "game").

1.) Did I put everything in the right place?
2.) Am I missing something I should have?
3.) Is that error supposed to be there and has anyone gotten it before?

Sorry for all the "new guy" troubleshooting going on here. Once I get up to speed it'll be smooth sailing... Well, as smooth as it gets in game dev.

I just realized you may still need help with this. Well, even if you aren't I'll post a few screenies and you can see if something's off.

and the parts of the path you care about is the ...\game\content\etc.

you need both \game\content\rchars and \game\content\chars
where chars is for named characters and rchars (r for random) is for generic ones

the game engine should be able to work without many of the folders as it goes through and checks for content.
but the girl packs should come with their own data_*.json files, you shouldn't need to do any of that yourself.

and as far as the garble-dee-gook picture names go, I think that's how we're doing the tagging now, which actually can be edited in game.
but for the most part, I wouldn't think most ppl wouldn't need to worry about that either.

We just need proper guides...

>>>

Are you talking about char and rchar folder management specifically? Or what kind of guides do you mean?

and sorry for the double post.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5546 on: August 23, 2015, 05:17:58 AM »

No, char and rchar folders are ignored at any depth, I've added you to collaborators (you now can push and pull and mes with Issues and etc.) but GitHub allows to propose merge requests so you can push even without any rights on the site, main difference is that someone would have to authorize every request for the latter.

You should have the correct version. Those folders are setup to be ignored, everything inside of them is setup to be ignored and etc.

We've switched back to Git on GitHub which is faster and seems to be more reliable that SFs Git.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:21:50 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5547 on: August 23, 2015, 05:32:14 AM »
No, char and rchar folders are ignored at any depth, I've added you to collaborators (you now can push and pull and mes with Issues and etc.) but GitHub allows to propose merge requests so you can push even without any rights on the site, main difference is that someone would have to authorize every request for the latter.

You should have the correct version. Those folders are setup to be ignored, everything inside of them is setup to be ignored and etc.

We've switched back to Git on GitHub which is faster and seems to be more reliable that SFs Git.

Ok, so no more TortoiseHg and all that?

.... (LOADING)

nice, a quest log! wooo! and I like this new window icon better as well.

well, you were right, this program and this site are definitely easier to use.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:20:46 AM by Armegetton »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5548 on: August 23, 2015, 06:23:16 AM »
Yup, we don't use it anymore. Personally, I read many bad things about it, even if we ignore its recent week of downtime which is already quite bad. Instructions for the new repo are here.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5549 on: August 23, 2015, 06:33:54 AM »
Yup, we don't use it anymore. Personally, I read many bad things about it, even if we ignore its recent week of downtime which is already quite bad. Instructions for the new repo are here.

Thanks guys. I got everything up and working. Only took like 10 minutes total. I remember spending a couple hours trying to figure out the tortoise one.

hmm, I guess the in-game tagger has been removed? or moved?