devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3816337 times)

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5580 on: August 23, 2015, 02:28:34 PM »

If you want to work with graphics, I can link you our db folders and you can make some gifts items.
If you prefer to create new graphics, you could try to make unique icons for traits. But it won't be easy.
If you want to work with lines or interactions coding, I can tell how interactions and lines can be improved.
If you want to make packs, by all means go ahead and do any packs you want. You will need my tagger and some h-pictures sources, I can give links that I personally use for pack making.
If you want to do something related to pure coding, ask Xela  :)

Sure, link me.

I can work on new graphics too, easy isn't in my job description. I do what needs to be done really.

I can work on interaction lines if you'd like to explain how I could go about that.

I feel like enough people will make packs that it isn't really necessary for me to do so. Especially once the beta is released and the popularity picks up, players will make all sorts of packs.

Coding isn't really my thing, but if that's what you need the most help with now I'm sure I can run through the renpy tutorial and get to work on python, it doesn't seem like a difficult language. Whatever is a priority right now.
"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5581 on: August 23, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »
One, two, three. I believe you can download the whole folder there. You can also instal dropbox and ask Xela to add you there. It will download everything by itself, but there is a lot of junk too.
Existing gifts are in game/contant/items/gift.

The idea was to have very different gifts that might or might not work depending on characters traits, and also some general-purpose ones that will work every time but won't be as effective. Gifts have a json with logics, it's game/contanet/db/gifts.json. It's outdated now, since at the beginning of the year we changed traits system a bit, but it might give you the overall picture.
All gifts cannot be used for anything, and simply disappear after you give them, increasing (or decreasing) disposition.

So if you want to do something simple (but still time consuming), you could try to come up with different gifts based on those icons in db and cut those icons like we did for all other items. Maybe write name and a short description in json if you feel like it. Of course you don't have to use only those icons in db, but we have so many that looking for new ones is probably an overkill.

Icons for traits are more complex and creative task. You saw our elemental icons and maybe also race and main personality icons too.
So the idea to to have smaller, less detailed but still understandable icons for all or most of the traits. Our traits are in game/contant/db, in jsons starting with "traits_".
To make an example, try to switch google into searching images mode and enter "boobs icons".

Since you have to search for decent pictures and edit them, it's obviously much more difficult than gifts. That's how I made main personality icons half a year ago.
Even in the case of boobs you will need 4 similar, yet different icons for all 4 traits.

Lines/interactions are based on imagination mostly. Writing skills are good too, but I managed to make them all with zero writing skills  :D
I don't want to force you into writing interactions, but if you want to, you could take a look at game/library/interactions/GM - go out.rpy, starting with label interactions_eattogether string (lines before it are commented out and never used). You cannot see the whole logic from the game, since there are many checks for very different cases.

At this point I would welcomed even concept without coding, I mean stuff like possible checks and events.
You can also come up with ideas and concepts for other types of spending time together options. It's 90% of imagination, 10% of coding. And I have problems with this kind of imagination lately, so...

If anyone is willing to come up with personal quest for Tenten, that would be cool too. I have ideas or ready quests for everyone else from naruto pack, but I stuck with her.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #5582 on: August 23, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
If anyone is willing to come up with personal quest for Tenten, that would be cool too. I have ideas or ready quests for everyone else from naruto pack, but I stuck with her.

She's a weapons nut, I would pursue something in that general direction like locating a new secret weapons maker.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5583 on: August 23, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
I'll get right on it right after I ask this, how do I open a .json file? I tried looking for an option through renpy and couldn't locate one.
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline Gismo

« Reply #5584 on: August 23, 2015, 04:40:06 PM »
I'll get right on it right after I ask this, how do I open a .json file? I tried looking for an option through renpy and couldn't locate one.

Use notepad ++ (or any text editor)

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5585 on: August 23, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »
Use notepad ++ (or any text editor)

Ahah! Thanks Gismo, much appreciated. *thumbs up*
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5586 on: August 23, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

Icons for traits are more complex and creative task. You saw our elemental icons and maybe also race and main personality icons too.
So the idea to to have smaller, less detailed but still understandable icons for all or most of the traits. Our traits are in game/contant/db, in jsons starting with "traits_".
To make an example, try to switch google into searching images mode and enter "boobs icons".

Since you have to search for decent pictures and edit them, it's obviously much more difficult than gifts. That's how I made main personality icons half a year ago.
Even in the case of boobs you will need 4 similar, yet different icons for all 4 traits.

"Smaller, less detailed, but still understandable icons... how small are we talking? 100 x 100px... 200 x 200?
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5587 on: August 24, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »
Smaller than other icons, I think 100x100 is enough. Of course we always can resize them ingame, so any larger size is acceptable.

Offline MrKlaus

« Reply #5588 on: August 24, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
Hi, it was some time from my last visit.

Don't know if the guild thing and exploration is still in the game, but if they are...
I would propose maybe something like this for TenTen's potential scenarios:

1. We meet her in town. From chatting with her, MC gets the knowledge, that: She lost her scroll (she uses it to summon all the weapons she uses). To find it the MC would have to send search parties to the general areas around the city. After let's say 3 sweeps around town that would bring zero results the scroll could be purchasable in one of the shops. Return it to her, she joins you.

2. MC meets her while taking a stroll in the woods (some other general area). Quick chat and we get to know Tentens story. She got robbed while was taking brake in the woods after hours of training. When her guard was down, some bandits used sleeping gas to knock her out. After she woke up, her summoning scroll and all belongings are gone and she is penniless (maybe ad a rape to the mix if you would like more darker approach to the story).  The bandits can be in three explorable areas - send parties to find and fight the bandits, the scroll would be a onetime drop item.

3. After certain rep in the arena gained by the MC, she could be a random opponent in one of the dog fights. After losing to the player, she would approach explaining that her today performance was bad due "health issues" (sudden period, headache, lack of sleep - couple next door bang loudly all night) and demanding a rematch in a week or two if you are a honorable warrior. Beating her the second time would result in Tenten recognizing your strength and wanting to join your party.

4. Nothing much. Minor event in a bar/pub at night. You run into drunken TenTen, a brawl between her and MC starts. Or something lighter (anime like stupid thing), you trip + grab her boob and a fight starts. After the fight - the result wouldn't matter, she will join you - If you lose: some chat and employing her as your body guard. If you win: some chat and take her in as a role model/master, the winning option would result in not paying for her services.

Hope I gave you some ideas for a scenario/event.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5589 on: August 24, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Yup, you did, thanks. If you are interested in helping the project, there are other characters that could use ideas for small events/quests.

Offline MrKlaus

« Reply #5590 on: August 24, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
Yup, you did, thanks. If you are interested in helping the project, there are other characters that could use ideas for small events/quests.

Gimme a name list  8)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5591 on: August 24, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
Foremost Robin and Hancock from One Piece. But in general every unique character except the ones from naruto pack (since we had another writer who helped a bit there) could use a small quest when you meet them.

I suppose you have to be familiar with characters to make events without reading wiki or something like that, so you could take a look at mine/Cherry packs threads and see if there is anything familiar there.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5592 on: August 25, 2015, 05:04:48 AM »
I wonder if we need interactions tracking system. I feel like disposition alone is not enough to make it interesting, so we could use AA system when the game remembers how many times you did something, and have checks based on it.
The thing is, I can do it by myself anytime based on flags. But if we'll have something more centralized eventually, it would be a waste of time.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #5593 on: August 25, 2015, 05:41:01 AM »
We can wrote a flag manager later. Any system that we create would have to also account for inter characters relationships. it's not something I am looking forwards to designing and coding atm.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5594 on: August 26, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »
Question1: Does anyone mind if I update a few more of the npc graphics? (in particular, the which and the tailor shop... possibly the armor shop/forge girl as well)

Question2: Can I create custom icons for each of the shops instead of having the same "pointer" style icon for every one? I can also change the .json file to reflect this change, I've learned my way around them.

Question3: I see this layout for all items, what does it mean?

Code: [Select]

{
    "id": "Exotic Bouquet",
    "icon": "content/items/gift/eb.png",
    "desc": "This tastefully-arranged bouquet is comprised of many types of flowers that usually only grow in faraway lands. It's colorful, it's gorgeous, and it shows that you're willing to spend a lot of money to impress.",
    "price": 300,
    "chance": 65,
    "dismod": 30,
    "cblock": 5,
    "infinite": false,
    "locations": ["General Store"],
    "traits": {"Ill-mannered": 40, "Not Human": 45, "Tomboy": -20, "Noble": 15}

Is there a manual somewhere that explains what all of this means? I assume the following:
id, icon, price,infinite and locations are all obvious
chance: odds of the item showing up in shop (out of 100) every week or day. (each time new items are generated)
dismod: no idea
cblock: no idea
traits: how much the item affects a certain trait (0 = trait loss, 100 = trait gain) OR how much it effects a slaves happiness based on the whether or not they have the trait

I'm looking to start designing the new gifts that are to be mostly based on their compatibility with traits so this info will be very helpful. Also, if this is the old format of how gifts are constructed, I'd like a heads up on the new one.

Question5: Because the game is free I assume it is ok to use well known/copyrighted girls for the npc updates? Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I may stash a few backups in case we run into an oddity with someone releasing a shopkeep in a girl pack or something. Or do we simply want to avoid implementing any girl that we might want to be a slave as a shopkeep (a.k.a. keep it generic)?

On an end note: I am currently working on making the smaller icons that correlate to traits, but I will switch off between all of this depending on if I get burnt out on one or the other. Always good to have a lot of things to do. Once I am done with a few trait icons, if I can't figure out how to implement them, I'll ask about that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:23:57 AM by Pseudononymous »
"You think I CARE!?"