Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3816032 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5550 on: August 23, 2015, 06:55:25 AM »
It's still there but I've coded that as proof of concept, it was never really functional. Dark made a solid tagger, i don't know if it's posted anywhere since noone is working on tagging the packs off-team.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5551 on: August 23, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »
Of course it's posted. There were people who helped us to retag stuff when we needed it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5552 on: August 23, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »
I didn't know if you were keeping this version up to date, or just the one at the DB.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5553 on: August 23, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
It's the same thing. Links in that thread lead to my db, and db keeps links the same as long as you don't delete file but just replace it.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5554 on: August 23, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
So ... is it still impossible to "acquire" girls through the meet girls option?

Or rather than impossible, if they need 500+ disposition and talking to them or other actions only give a few points each time.
am I wrong in thinking that it would take a month ingame at best to "get" one?
especially if the hero only has 3 ap a day, and the girls only have 2

plus the girl would probably move locations, so .... yeah ....

and while the disposition bar itself seems to be working, the girls aren't losing any AP.
and I have no idea what the "Points" are for,
all they seem to do is go 0 -> 2 -> 1 -> 0 and it just keeps repeating.

and I did notice on certain girls (not all girls), that the
Code: [Select]
$ char.override_portrait("portrait", "shy")
(line 180 in "GM - praise.rpy", for example)
doesn't work and shows the "no portrait" icon. shouldn't it be reverting back to the normal portrait if they don't have one?

again, I haven't been around in a while, but I guess I thought this was a pretty large part of the game itself. hmm.
This could be the end ...

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5555 on: August 23, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
Yup, intreractions are not balanced in this regard because it's to early to do, I still didn't added some major options. There are devs shortcuts in intimacy menu that can do anything.

Good catch with override_portrait, Xela will have to code it better  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:17:39 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5556 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »
Yup, intreractions are not balanced in this regard because it's to early to do, I still didn't added some major options. There are devs shortcuts in intimacy menu that can do anything.

Good catch with override_portrait, Xela will have to code it better  :)

hmm, you say "too early", but aren't we in version .53? at least according to the roadmap, isn't that where we address things like this? or have things changed? Is xela deciding all of this himself?

well, no worries. I was just making sure I wasn't doing it wrong. =P

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5557 on: August 23, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
There are cases when the same image base could be used more than once for non random characters. Issue.
Specifically, I was thinking about version of hinata from another world from one of big movies where she had confident and assertive personality. A cheap, but reliable way to increase the amount of characters and quests.

hmm, you say "too early", but aren't we in version .53? at least according to the roadmap, isn't that where we address things like this? or have things changed? Is xela deciding all of this himself?
If Xela wants to do it now, he is welcomed to. It's his roadmap, I have my own  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5558 on: August 23, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
Roadmap is largely obsolete, outdated and was written for a simpler game concept. We spend most of our free time writing code and content for the game, my plan is to update these forum blocks before the next release to avoid endless stream of questions, sadly I don't have time to both write the code and keep documentation, roadmaps, todos and etc up to date at the same time.

===
I'll start another issue with the portrait thing when I can.

===
Dark is right about it being to early, we're slowly advancing relationship concepts, writing more stuff for personality type, updating/rewriting code for jobs/locations and etc. Some things needs to take proper shape before we finalize interactions. Game is not written of a fixed concept, we're trying different things, testing, throwing stuff out/keeping it and etc. Writing accept to a job after that's done will take me an hour, writing it now and keeping it up to date every time I tweak the code or Dark tweaks the content can only result in time wasted.

>>>
It's development version, hence not a playable one, although keep debugging what you can! :) These are two new issues that need to be fixed regardless.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5559 on: August 23, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
When you're sure at least about the later, lets start with something simple: pytfall\game\content\gfx\interface\images\elements. In this folder are the icons we use for Elemental Alignments, if a character has more than one, we crop the image (vertically) and show one image made up of several of these icon. There are some issues with that so an you make sure these icons or of the same height/width and all have the exact same amount of transparent pixels between the image and it's boarders (or remove that spacing all together).

Do you need these to be the same size and resolution as well? There are larger and smaller pictures. Most elements are the same size, but the ice element is about half the size of the rest and the neutral element is about twice the size as the rest. Would it be helpful to resize them to be the same size as the rest?

------

Edit: I have resized all elemental images to be 200x200 with a resolution of 96 (neutral and ice included). The sizes are now standardized and the transparent pixel margins are also identical. I have not pushed the change yet, as I am not certain that this is what you actually wanted. But as far as I know it should make things much easier. As soon as I have the green light I'll commit > pull > solve/merge > push.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:48:17 AM by Pseudononymous »
"You think I CARE!?"
"Yeah, you're getting really angry about it."

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #5560 on: August 23, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
Roadmap is largely obsolete, outdated and was written for a simpler game concept. We spend most of our free time writing code and content for the game, my plan is to update these forum blocks before the next release to avoid endless stream of questions, sadly I don't have time to both write the code and keep documentation, roadmaps, todos and etc up to date at the same time.

===
I'll start another issue with the portrait thing when I can.

===
Dark is right about it being to early, we're slowly advancing relationship concepts, writing more stuff for personality type, updating/rewriting code for jobs/locations and etc. Some things needs to take proper shape before we finalize interactions. Game is not written of a fixed concept, we're trying different things, testing, throwing stuff out/keeping it and etc. Writing accept to a job after that's done will take me an hour, writing it now and keeping it up to date every time I tweak the code or Dark tweaks the content can only result in time wasted.

>>>
It's development version, hence not a playable one, although keep debugging what you can! :) These are two new issues that need to be fixed regardless.

It's no problem at all, I'm not expecting anyone to waste their time. I'm just clarifying the situation, because I still don't have a complete grasp of the "big picture" of the game.

So, to summarize. There are going to be multiple styles of play to "win".
and they include:

- making money via brothel and girls
- fighting in the arena
- exploring areas; forest/dungeon/etc

this can probably be shortened to: empire management and fighting, (or sim and rpg)

girls can be acquired via:

- slave market
- relationship building (girls meets)
- finding girls through exploration? (is this a part of the game now? like whore master?)
- (possibly events of some sort?)

are players expected to do a little bit of everything to progress? or can they choose only one and still manage to get by?

is this roughly similar to what's happening? or how far off is this?

Do you need these to be the same size and resolution as well? There are larger and smaller pictures. Most elements are the same size, but the ice element is about half the size of the rest and the neutral element is about twice the size as the rest. Would it be helpful to resize them to be the same size as the rest?

I don't mean to butt in, but I'm thinking that is exactly what he wants. not only same size and pixel resolution, but the same number of buffer alpha pixels so that when the pictures are cropped together, the total picture will still be a circle. like:

_____RRRR______
___RRRRRRRR____
__BBBBBBBBBB___
__BBBBBBBBBB___
___GGGGGGG____
_____GGG______

and not:

_____RRRR______
___RRRRRRRR____
_BBBBBBBBBB___
_BBBBBBBBBB___
_____GGGGGGG__
_______GGG____

or some variation

edit: now that I look at the "crop image vertically" my bad ASCII art might be a bit off, but same difference.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:51:45 AM by Armegetton »

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5561 on: August 23, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »
I don't mean to butt in, but I'm thinking that is exactly what he wants. not only same size and pixel resolution, but the same number of buffer alpha pixels so that when the pictures are cropped together, the total picture will still be a circle. l

That's what I figured, I'd just like to validate it before I go and screw something up. As stated in my edit above, all elements are now standardized. I'm just waiting for the go ahead. And don't ever feel like your butting in if you like to speak to me, all intended aid is appreciated. You're good bro.
"You think I CARE!?"

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5562 on: August 23, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »

Push and we'll see. You don't need to worry about it so much, reverting your changes is just one/two mouse clicks or one line of console code. What you describe is exactly what was needed, I need to pull your changes in order to check if it was done correctly (by adding all elements to any of the characters and see how Ren'Py crops the new pictures).
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5563 on: August 23, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
So, to summarize. There are going to be multiple styles of play to "win".

Yes but I don't think we'll have "winning" at version 0.7 (Beta). I have a lot of plans like Economy/Politics/Clime and etc. modules that may also allow winning even without following an extensive story like but there is no way to get all of that coded and debugged for 0.7 release. As for a content driven (Story based) ending, Dark is working on that and I don't know all that much about his plans, so far he has a decent number of meeting scrips for Naruto Girls and some scripts for a story line based off a powerful Star weapon mentioned in the intro.

this can probably be shortened to: empire management and fighting, (or sim and rpg)

This part is right, we're trying to build a cross between sim/rpg game. It should be noted that game code is structured in such a way that it would be very easy to remove sim/rpg part if it becomes apparent that such a design cannot be managed. So far I believe that it is.

girls can be acquired via:

- slave market
- relationship building (girls meets)
- finding girls through exploration? (is this a part of the game now? like whore master?)
- (possibly events of some sort?)

Yes.

Exploration module has a working code but Gismo overwrote the interface with a mockup (preserving older, working code). We decided to keep the new design and update existing code but I have not even started working on that yet.

are players expected to do a little bit of everything to progress? or can they choose only one and still manage to get by?

Players should not be forced on any specific path unless they're a part of a quest/specific story line or have picked some specific form of MC setups (N/A atm).

is this roughly similar to what's happening? or how far off is this?

Game is supposed to be an open world environment with many things to do/paths to take/stories to follow. That's a premise I am working off right now.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pseudononymous

• You don't say...
« Reply #5564 on: August 23, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »
Push and we'll see. You don't need to worry about it so much, reverting your changes is just one/two mouse clicks or one line of console code. What you describe is exactly what was needed, I need to pull your changes in order to check if it was done correctly (by adding all elements to any of the characters and see how Ren'Py crops the new pictures).

Committed and pushed, but it isn't showing up on GitHub. It showed the changes, staged them, and pushed them, gave me the green check and "up to date" message, but I'm not seeing the update on the git repo.
"You think I CARE!?"