devolution

Author Topic: Top 3 Animes  (Read 32020 times)

Offline Starry

Re: Top 3 Animes
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
well FMA brotherhood did just reach the end of season one so it would make sense to show reruns for a while
That's what I figured, I don't really keep track.

Hell, I'm not that fond of Brotherhood...or remakes in general.

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »
Why did they remake FMA anyway. To paraphrase a certain famous game critic "I have things in my Refrigerator that are older than that show." And it was pretty solid as well. Not like they where rewriting crap.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »
I thought Brotherhood followed the mangas story line which the original anime completely ignored about half way through in order to finish up the show. I can't say for sure considering I never finished the manga just going off of what I remember reading.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
FMA brotherhood is indeed following the manga, so in a way it split FMA into 2 versions like the Tenchi has been split
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »
A better parallel might be Ah! Megami Sama which started off as a "Barely Based on Source Material" OVA. And ended up as a regular TV show based more on the Manga...

Oh well. There is an ass ton of Anime that needs to get rebooted. Top of my list of series I would like to see get one is Battle Angel. Maybe James Cameron can spark some new interest in the series.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline morbriner

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
1.Van Dread
2.Robotech (that was the start for me)
3.Steel Angel Kurumi
those are my top three.

Offline coldheartzero

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
I got the season 1-4 DVD set for 90 bucks.
 :P
The whole "support the original authors" kick is just a bunch of crap. 
Crunchyroll can burn in hell, dirty streamers.  Streams suck, and unfortunately, that's where things are headed.  I refuse to watch netflix, hulu, or Crunchyroll.  Keep the streaming to youtube, with the home made music videos where it belongs.  Hell, you can even get a local copy on cable these days.  It's called DVR.  Seems to me, streaming tv on the internet is a step BACKWARDS.

If you're wondering where my hatred of streaming comes from, it's because I live in Oklahoma, where we get a LOT of bad weather, and the internet tends to go out.  "Get a better internet service" really isn't an option, as I've had DSL (worthless junk), have cable right now, and well, we have satellite tv and that goes wonky every time a cloud passes by, so I'm not getting satellite internet.  If the power goes out while I have a local copy, I can hop on my trusty portable dvd player or the laptop and watch the show via flash drive, dvd, or external (I have one that you don't have to plug into the wall).

LOL, I live in Oklahoma, right in the path of "Tornado alley" and my internet in the last 15 years hasn't gone out long enough to ever make a complaint like the one you're making.

Streams are also not as bad as what some of these clowns have made them out to be. If you've got even a remotely good internet connection Hulu and Netflix will give a very good quality visual.  Faster the connection, better the quality. Currently I'm on a 1 meg connection (19.99 a month, cheaper than some dialups) and Hulu's video quality reminds me of what I used to see on Saturday and Sunday latenights.

Netflix occasionally leaves something to be desired though. When I had a fast connection (5megs) it was all but dvd quality with no interruptions. With my current connection I get at least 1 "you connection has slowed, please wait while we adjust your playback" for every 4 full length movies I watch/stream. Image quality is about VHS quality. A little trick though, sometimes it's faster to just refresh the webpage and let it load again. It will start right where you left off.

I can't speak Japanese, but I was married to a Japanese woman and I have a Japanese daughter and we watch anime a lot. She has told me that sometimes the Subs are wrong, but more often than not because of the differences in English and Japanese the subs are correct for the most part it's just that English and Jap don't translate directly and you need to make alterations to make things understandable. Then there are some subs that just fubarred but hell that happens.

A lot of the hate posts I've read are just wrong, reminds me of the WoW forums, jump on something and let it roll, hate for the sake of hating.

Offline Starry

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
Can't stand subs myself.  In any circumstances.  I can't pay attention to the visuals if I keep having to read the damn screen.

It might be related to why every time I see Evangelion I just want to punch them in the face.  (Hard to do without breaking your TV hah.)

Or it might not.

At any rate, anyone with a connection under 5 megabit should use cFosSpeed in my opinion.  I'm on an EVDO connection and it makes pretty much everything better.

Offline megamanx

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
I watch every anime with the subs enabled because it can be hard to hear the tv sometimes and trust me the subs make a lot more sense than the dubs to at times
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »
It all depends on the quality of the translation (step 1) and the quality of the presentation. (Step 2)

Step one is easy to screw up. I ranted a little about L's and R's (and B's and V's) in another thread but that just one of the ways a translation can be a little flaky. Another way is to screw up cultural differences. You can be too literal and end up making no sense. (Though I'm sure you will please some purist freaks)  On the same token, you can just insert what you figure is the closest NA equivalent and end up sounding totally corny. (See almost all of Streamlines dubs. Just what the hell is a slogwart Mr. Macek?)   

Step two is even easier to screw up. You can either Subtitle or Dub for presentation. Subtitles run the risk of alienating people that can't multi task. (It actually takes a little practice to pan a scene and read the subs to get the full effect of whats going on.) Also, there are other concerns like Making your Subtitles too long and stay on screen for far to short. Causing the viewer to rewind constantly. (problem with a few fansubs) And not Subtitling enough. If we don't understand the language we probably can't read the signs either. And if you are going to leave a cultural reference as is there had better be a footnote at the top of the screen.

Now if you go dubbing, you run into the problems of lip-synching (It's Godzilla! <lips flap for another 30 seconds>) and Emoting. Which that final bit is the biggest problem with Anime dubs. Flat, emotionless, Monotone voices sound obnoxious enough but nothing horrifies the ears like fake emotions. And if you can't character act DON'T CHARACTER ACT. Use your normal voice god damn it!. By way of example, and because I find bad dubbing to be rather funny, here is the top 50 worst VA's in Video Game history.  Note that number 7 is more of an example of bad translation and not bad dubbing. Paul Eiding is actually a competent VA.

Admittedly however, it's far easier to screw up a dub then a sub.  Subs aren't better by default though. They are just easier to pull off.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline megamanx

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
that is why I said at times, not all the times some of the series do a good job others, not so much :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:40:17 PM by megamanx »
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
that is why I said at times, not all the times some of the series do a good job others, not so much :D

Oh definitely. I was mostly looking for an excuse to post the top 50 worst Video game VA's when I posted that.  :D
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline megamanx

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »
those fifty were funny thanks for that :D
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.

Offline Starry

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:49 PM »
I dunno.  To me shitty dubs were a problem of the 90s.  I haven't really noticed it since.

Offline megamanx

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »
there are still some going on even today but they are less than the 90's
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.