devolution

Author Topic: Off-Topic:  (Read 163430 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Off-Topic:
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »
I'm getting Flashforward flashbacks here: "Also, we gave the world Britney Spears"

Offline letmein

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
I must be missing some reference there...
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
Flashforward: the FBI guy is in a German prison to negotiate the release of a Nazi war criminal. One of his team has a dig at the Germans, and the prison governor replies by reeling off a list of US atrocities, including selling smallpox contaminated blankets to the redskins.

And the FBI guy, whose name I can never remember, thinks about for a moment, and says "also, we gave the world Britney Spears" as if that was an atrocity the governor had missed.

Well, it made me smile, anyway.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 04:00:13 PM »
lol, yes she is an atrocity.
Also thinking back to basic training (used to be in the army), the basic definition they use is that strategy is the planing phase of an attack, while tactics is the doing, a strategy may contain many tactics for achieving the objective. This is the military definition and from that i guess its kinda simple to see why so many people may get them confused.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline letmein

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Ah.  Well, she's' not very good ("Toxic" is one of my all-time most hated songs), but personally, I'd put many other artists (and a few entire genres) above her in the music atrocity rankings.
Still lurking.

Offline letmein

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:42:40 AM »
Realizing that this may be my last, best chance to ever beat Doc...  I shall take this opportunity to make my ninety-ninth post, and *finally* beat him out on post count!  Yay! 

:dances:

...and most of those posts were even on-topic!

Actually, I might as well mention that this forum has done a pretty decent job of growing up.  What are we at, now... a shade over 120 members in about a month?  [looked it up:  from Oct 10 to Nov 6, so four weeks minus a day]  That's not too bad.  I don't remember what the old forum had - not that many, since guests could post - but this one seems to be handling the traffic well.  Kudos to Solo and Dagoth, for their ever-so-intrusive administrative duties.  And, of course to necno, for the game - I honestly think it's better, right now (or at least, with version 1.28, this last one's a wee bit buggy   ;) ) than any of poolka's myriad creations, AND their heavily altered children.

(for those of you that don't know who poolka is, he was the coder behind Slave Maker AND Sim Brothel, both of which were then taken over by fans, cleaned up a bit, and expanded.  So, basically, he single-handedly created every game of this particular type that I've ever been able to find, until necno came along.  He used to hang out at the funny games forums; don't know what happened to him.  He quietly released a little gem called Hentai High this last summer, then dropped off the earth completely.  Actually, I don't suppose anyone here knows about Hentai High, or can find a copy of it...  the forum thread at funny games was killed, and with it went my link to that particular game.)
Still lurking.

Offline Savagefrog

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
Game Hentai High can be found at funny games sim date/rpg archives page 2.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 03:39:02 AM »
Realizing that this may be my last, best chance to ever beat Doc...  I shall take this opportunity to make my ninety-ninth post, and *finally* beat him out on post count!  Yay!

I've been coding more that posting the last couple of days, so you're probably going to stay in the lead :)

Actually, I might as well mention that this forum has done a pretty decent job of growing up. 

I'll say. I was surprised by the the number of new posts waiting for me this morning. This place is really taking off.

Kudos to Solo and Dagoth 

Seconded. You're doing a sterling job, chaps!

Offline Vanreis

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 03:50:58 AM »
It seems that discussion about occupational wars has ended but still I'd like to put one historical fact in it just to show that this kind of wars can only be won by genocide (even if it is slowly) but it mostly ends with retreat of occupation army. It happened in years 1772, 1793 and 1795 in small but not tiny east european country called Poland. After Swedish Invision, Cossacs Uprising and numerous wars against Russia Poland was divided three times between Russia, Prussia (todays Germany) and Austria. It was simply erased from world maps. Country was united again in 1918 at the end of I World War which makes it 123 years from the moment it was partitioned. Of course Poles (Polish people) didn't simply wait util someone liberates them. In the "meantime" they took part in many liberation wars (for example American Revolution where the most famous Pole who took part in it was Tadeusz Kościuszko) and even had a motto "for freedom yours and ours" which was supposed to mean that they were going to help you free your country while preparing to free their own. Pretty interesting isn't it? 123 years of not only occupation but also partition of both land and people and it still wasn't enough to kill "Polish spirit". Should I also add that after 1918 Polish had to fight few wars against its previous occupants to reaffirm (for example they crushed Red Army in 1919-1921). I guess if Indians had as strong connections and weren't divided into tribes American history would look a "tad" diffrent.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 04:16:25 AM »
Thank god I'm working with other coders now, its all getting a little larger then i expected it to get. Which of course makes me happy :D
Just have to keep coding  ;)
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline letmein

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
@frog:  Thanks.

@Doc:  Maybe.  Mostly, I just did a marathon posting session, but that required a *ton* of other people posting at the same time too.  It's no fun to just post haphazardly... 

@Vanreis:  Good point.  Or, take a look at the Balkans - they've been subjugated on and off since the Greeks were the bad boys of the block, and they still ended up independent.

@necno:  YES!  Code until your fingers bleed...
Still lurking.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »
Seconded. You're doing a sterling job, chaps!

Well, I'm not doing anything :), it's mostly kudos to dagoth for lending us part of his hosting :).

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
I wonder when there going to start the high jacking attempt
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 11:34:32 PM »
I'm biding my time...I will strike when the forum least suspects it  >;o)

[edit]

wow...massively belated dyslexia correction made.  It's a wonder anyone could make sense of that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:53:53 PM by zodiac44 »
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Sigfried666

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 06:04:27 AM »
Sooo, I'm gonna go off a tangent, and ask if DocClox, or any other member of the forum, are liking the Flashforward series.
See, I have yet to watch it, and my friends keep telling me it's good...
Is it really good? Do you guys think I should make time to watch it?