Author Topic: Game Design/Ideas  (Read 123420 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Game Design/Ideas
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:15 AM »
Hey there!  I know this is a small little group posting ideas, but I'm amidst other projects now that are waiting on others, and because ideas are part of what I do, I thought I'd brainstorm a bit while I was here!  Of course in this brainstorm, I set out with large overarching goals that might need a lot of reworking or simplification to fit within the design goals, and might not be appropriate for the project at all.  With that said, the only cost is time reading, so I hope it won't be too high a price.  My wording here is written a bit train of thought, so statements such as "I think it should", etc, should not be taken as expectation, just how I express my potential ideas when I'm thinking to myself, and I didn't take much time to filter my thoughts too greatly only because as I started brainstorming, my brain decided it was a bit pent up so there's more material than I expected to write.  Because this is a first post here, it is going to be heavy on concept and light on specifics.  If any ideas are considered relevant, you can decide which ones fit the project and I can help flesh them out so long as I still have time to assist.

Thanks for a great post :)

I think items could work on multiple tiers.  Ores, plans and enchantments should all dictate what guards and regimens can wield.  Dusts, tools and coals are needed to create items.  Dusts help enchanting, tools and coals are needed for creation and enhancement of weapons and armor.  Each of them are used and broken as items are made, and are spoils of exploration, dungeon delving, expansion, bought on the black market or summoned with mana (assuming you have the connections or strength of magic, respectively).

Items themselves should grow with the players, allowing modification and diversity.  For instance, a dagger found may only start with Sharp, granting a plus to damage, but it can be enchanted to do fire damage, or help the girl sneak through the dungeon or elsewhere more easily.  Its 'sharp' may be upgraded to vorpal with a scroll, or changed to 'double bladed' with another. Base weapons and armor should be rare, and have limits to their upgrades, where as the upgrades for their stats should be more plentiful.  Infusing weapons with new enchantments should be costly in both gold and mana, but offer tangible benefits in line with their costs .  i.e. weapons should be useful even if 'better' options come along.

Alchemy/smithing we might add later, we've talked about that a bit already. It would require some changes in items system but it's a LOT less complex of a system than for example Arena/Exploration as far as the code goes.

As for items augmentations, I never really liked that concept in games generally and if it is going to be added, it'll be around 3.0 version I expect :)

Mana drain – This is a simple renewal mechanic made to combat the 'infinite gains' problem of the original Whore Master, and the core reason behind it.  Eventually, girls will run out of mana they can meaningfully contribute.  Though I do think there should be immortal girls that are immune to this – I also think they should be very rare and hard won.  I also think they should be either very difficult, very pricey, or perhaps impossible to breed.  This could be dependent on how far the player is in the game, the amount of resources they have, or the difficulty of game they've chosen. When girls run out of mana, they could still earn gold for the player – giving him the chance to convert gold to mana to keep themselves from going under.  But the exchange should become less desirable the more gold is being converted to mana.  The idea behind this is that eventually a player will do better to replace current girls with new ones (likely their offspring or newly captured girls).

Alternatively, the player should be able to add girls to a mana pool so that they can replenish more well trained girls.  This would offer an effective drain for extra girls gained through exploration and conquest, without exploding population outward.  Let's say they are brought to the dungeons and milked of their orgasms to filter that energy into the other girls.  This is where the offspring mechanic ties into this system neatly.  In this way, trained girls are at a premium, and if they are replaced it is more slowly with similar (or better depending on the effort put in) replacements, all without such a sharp rise in population with no drain to match.  There are always girls in the lower levels feeding mana up to the 'useful' girls, and there will always be a need to get more girls of lower caliber, but endlessly cluttering up your brothels will girls would come at a price of lower gains (lesser girls pay out less and are wasteful of mana) thus the incentives work to keep populations reasonable.

Having mana and spells might also be a window for a tangible reason for alignment.  Alignment makes dark powers 'orgasm denial torture', 'regenerating flesh' (cheaper version of the good aligned 'protective shield', in battle she endures the agony of being cut up but heals from it quickly with limits defined by the amount of mana in the spell, but at the same time must endure the psychological stress of torture in terms of morale in battle and mood/fear after the battle), etc.  Out of battle, having protective shield can protect your girls from violence, whereas regenerating flesh can let sadistic clients torment girls for their own amusement, or let them endure through more prolonged torment designed to break them in the dungeons.

We already have 4 delimiters in the game: AP, HP, MP and Fatigue. Adding yet another one is out of question at the moment, we have to many stats to work with as it is. I don't see draining AP/Fatigue from lesser girls in favor of better once either, maybe something like throwing a girl into the coma with small chance of death in order to create an item that can double the amount of AP/Fatigue for a day for any character.

There should be an option for girls to offer themselves willingly into slavehood.  Doing so should require a complex, long chain of actions, and be rewarded with benefits such as improved stat growth, greater mana, etc.

After Alpha release, one of the first things we'll work on is a decent slave training system that will prolly require new stats, improved classes system and so on. I don't know about girls willingly go into slavery, doesn't seem important enough to write complex interactions/path, especially right now when there is so little content in the game.

Time skips.  The player should be able to send children into an alternate dimension to be raised.  Thus breeding superior women based on their parents stats without the game needing to take untold weeks for the girls to be viable.  Also, you could direct the girls training every few week (which for them would be a much longer period of time) to help improve their stats in certain ways - so long as you're willing to invest the gold and/or mana it takes to get the effect you desire.

This is kinda brilliant :) I've been thinking of a decent way to accelerate child growth for a while, this seems like a very good solution. We'll use it after pregnancy is added.

Strategy – Expansion should be a long, slow slog that comes in several phases.  First, building up gold and mana should be necessary for a long while.  War cannot be fought without basic resources.  Building up critical mass of resources should be necessary for every phase of the war, which will be a large mana and gold burn.  At the end of it however, you have expanded your front line outward, which means more area to defend and more resources to expend to do so, but at the same time, a larger area to cultivate and capitalize upon.

Conceptually, this means building up regimens (the analogue to gangs in whore master), training them and growing their ranks, equipping them with items infused with ores and enchantments found during exploration and dungeon delving.  It means, if possible, having girls out there on the front lines who are experienced and able in combat.  It means ideally having your player commander equipped with rare spells and the mana needed to cast them on the field of battle.

Moving forward on the field of battle will be a slow move, week to week.  Injuries will be mitigated by healers within the gangs and more effectively among your girls, all costing mana.  Any casualties that are injuries may return next week or in the coming weeks, whereas deaths cannot be replaced.  Once you commit yourself to a battle, you must find a secure defensible front (fort or castle).  Failure to do so means you are driven back to your territory, losses incurred without any appreciable gains.  Success on the other hand requires a significant resource drain... that goes along with new opportunities.

Capturing new territory should not be the end of the struggle.  Each town, fort, wooden pallisade, forest hold or castle should have a holed up elite guard that has the mana to conjure the food and resources they need for what is essentially indefinitely.  The player must then infiltrate with high risk to a few elite girls, fight in the streets and then floor to floor in a direct conflict, or slowly win over the people, surviving the countless rebellions and magical strikes from within the stronghold until the people accept you.

Either way, whether they come out to negotiate, get kidnapped out, or imprisoned after a mighty battle, your job is then to legitimize yourself within the area by 'marrying' yourself (either enslaving or entering into a one sided polygamous relationship with) the civic leader, the duchess, the princess, the queen, or all of them.  Each is harder than the next, and each gives a bonus to mana for breaking them or seducing them and making them part of your kingdom.

Training all  of them under your banner will, instead of the rest simply falling in line, give your player the chance to unlock secret family heirlooms, artifacts and ores that can teach your player spells, enhance your regimens, or empower your girls, as well as having royalty that may make excellent whores for the wealthy elites or, if you want to milk their mana faster at the expense of efficiency, given to the masses to rut like animals for much less money but much more immediate mana.

I don't see this happening in PyTFall, maybe in Alkion... It will be to awkward. If someone is still working on this game in 5 years, maybe it can be some form of a "second stage", after the main part is completed, but it's not productive to go there right now.

Dungeon delving should be an equally in depth experience.  With the chance to have girls captured as real as the chance to capture girls.  There should be ways to quell the influx of monsters into an area so it can be secured, sealed from the more dangerous parts of the dungeon, and used to contain girls for torture or for training.  There should be boss monsters that take either weakening through consistent battles, undermining through cutting off the flow of monsters, or goading into a challenge by stealing his women out from under him.  Once you defeat all bosses of a level, you can go deeper. 

However, each new level is not a stairway but a portal, and choosing to put a small amount of mana into the portal will open you to another small level with very little usable room for girls and very few usable dungeons tools.  A larger mana contribution yields a much larger dungeon with more places to hold women and more effective training tools, but also a much longer, harder fight to clear that level.  Choosing to hold a level requires ongoing mana expenditure to keep it attuned to the manor.  Otherwise, the player can choose to let it slip when they move, draining it of resources and moving on to a new random dungeon.

That's about how we're planning to go about it. There will be no girl loss/capture before the slave training module, maybe there will be based on capturing girls for other trainers/market but not before Alpha. Torturing chambers for captured explorers/party members in the dungeons we'll use :) Rest we've talked about already I think.

Girls, customers, and ongoing happiness.
In whore master, an outside observation (this could be completely wrong) is that satisfaction seems to be based on only a few things, whatever the customer is doing with one girl, her talent and attractiveness, and the cleanliness of the place.  It might add depth if there were more factors.  Perhaps you would get more out of a customer if they had a talented waitress serving him first, they ended up gambling away some of their money, and got a show before eventually entering the brothel.

This would give incentive to train many girls for many occupations that don't earn you much at all by themselves, but become necessary for higher paying clients and to be seen as a respectable establishment at higher levels of success. This could be another use for random girls, rewarding that excitement of random chance in seeking out and finding new girls to add without drowning the game in resource machines.

That already works to a decent degree and will farther be improved in the future. Jobs logic can be layered and improved indefinitely but if truth be told, I am beginning to doubt that it's a correct path, people seems content with really basic jobs in a lot of other games and prefer playability, diversity and content to logical depth.

New girl occupation:  Talent scout – Having a loyal enough girl with high intelligence will unlock this option, letting you assign a girl to go through the world and seek out other girls based on your expectations.  However, higher expectations lead to longer search times (depending on her stats, experience with the job and morale), and will often come with complications.  A girl with high magic may be in a wizard school and have powerful friends to keep from you or to try to take her back if you seduce her away, she might be a priestess who is chaste and impossible to seduce, who has no interest in leaving so you have to put her temple in crisis so offering herself up is the only way to get her, etc.

I think Dark's proposal of Recruitment agency made more sense, but it's an option.

I think in terms of expenses, the player should be very limited.  Perhaps his manor was destroyed and nearly driven away from all other planes of existence in an attempt to banish him.  It took most all of his power to keep from being separated from the other planes, but that means he can only keep the manor open for half the day.  A> This gives an enforced "Rest" period to help new players and challenge more experienced ones who power through  B> it gives a use for the 'mana' mechanic. Spending mana allows you to do one of many things.  Maintain a stronger link to the material plane.  (allowing girls to work day and afternoon, then later day, afternoon, and dusk, then finally day, afternoon, dusk and the coveted nighttime if we wanted to expand the day/night cycle even further, but that's something that's a bit more tricky as working 4 times a day must be balanced with the extra maintenance and income involved).

I didn't get this but sounds overcomplicated and restrictive, something we've agreed to avoid.

As an aside for shops, it might be useful to have the ability to place an order for certain items.  You pay a premium, but you don't have to wait on the store to stock it.

This might become easier once items system is finetuned.

==================================================
I do welcome ideas and proposals at all times, real help however would be commenting on game elements that are already in place or writing concepts/cementing in concept of game elements that are at hand or are planned to be implemented soon. Otherwise, thanks again for a great post, couple of ideas we'll definitely use!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:17:59 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
There should be an option for girls to offer themselves willingly into slavehood.  Doing so should require a complex, long chain of actions, and be rewarded with benefits such as improved stat growth, greater mana, etc.
Nice idea, but we might as well use clones for this purpose. They are almost slaves anyway, since you have to pay for their life prolongation, and it is balances the benefits.

I think in terms of expenses, the player should be very limited.  Perhaps his manor was destroyed and nearly driven away from all other planes of existence in an attempt to banish him.  It took most all of his power to keep from being separated from the other planes, but that means he can only keep the manor open for half the day.
True form of your first brothel  :)

I kinda like the concept in terms of story though.

Offline Ponderer

« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
We already have 4 delimiters in the game: AP, HP, MP and Fatigue. Adding yet another one is out of question at the moment, we have to many stats to work with as it is. I don't see draining AP/Fatigue from lesser girls in favor of better once either, maybe something like throwing a girl into the coma with small chance of death in order to create an item that can double the amount of AP/Fatigue for a day for any character.

Alrighty!  Though I don't mind you not being interested in the idea, I do want to make it clear that AP, HP, MP and Fatigue do something far removed from the intended Mana mechanic.  Those four are specific to the girl and intended for her personally.  Mana serves as balancing agent and a currency akin to gold.  The intent would be to provide a drain mechanic to avoid an uncontrolled ballooning population.  If instead you let one girl risk coma to double another girls' abilities...

A> If the first girl does not recover, you've still made the problem worse.  Now you have a more powerful girl that can output double her previous effect.

B> If she does recover, you've made the problem much worse, you are best off investing in the item gamble, as once they recover you can train them up, and in the meantime your prime girls get a doubling of their own capacity.

The mana mechanic would be intended to give a clear drain, so that if you wanted to keep a well trained girl viable, lesser girls would be 'used' like batteries to keep their mana going.  Thus providing a mechanic intended to help balance the influx of new girls as the game progresses.

True form of your first brothel  :)

I kinda like the concept in terms of story though.

Thanks, and I think I know why!  It's simply an evolution of the original whore master, from the intro:
"Welcome to crossgate, in the city of the realm of Mundiga, where criminals rule and space-time overlap with other worlds and dimensions"

and of the brothels lower levels:
"Underneath, endless catacombs extend, constantly shifting in dimensional flux, drawing in beings from a thousand different worlds"

The brothel and the place defying dimensional boundaries is a great way to let people add whatever pictures they want, and have whatever girls they want, while not breaking the canon of the universe. :)

Alright, thanks again for your time!

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
The mana mechanic would be intended to give a clear drain, so that if you wanted to keep a well trained girl viable, lesser girls would be 'used' like batteries to keep their mana going.

Ok, I understand it a little bit better now but why is

mechanic intended to help balance the influx of new girls as the game progresses.

needed in the first place? We're not building PyTFall on top of original WM (even if we did, it could have been still balanced out), game is fully capable of tracking the amount of girls/npcs/monsters etc. at any given time. Batteries just add confusion and micro, or am I still missing something?
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
The brothel and the place defying dimensional boundaries is a great way to let people add whatever pictures they want, and have whatever girls they want, while not breaking the canon of the universe. :)

This is a great idea with a LOT of potential, in the end it will depend on amount of people that would be willing to work on/submit content after the game is playable. So far we are barely capable of managing one city, forget a dimension :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Ponderer

« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
Ok, I understand it a little bit better now but why is
(My mechanic)
needed in the first place? We're not building PyTFall on top of original WM (even if we did, it could have been still balanced out), game is fully capable of tracking the amount of girls/npcs/monsters etc. at any given time. Batteries just add confusion and micro, or am I still missing something?

There are ways to manage the influx of girls, but tracking them can only be a tool for some other mechanism by which they are controlled.  I.e. the concept exists to avoid more draconian population control methods such as hard caps on the number of girls you can play with.  I.e. I'm not implying that whore master and this game share the same code, I'm proposing one method to preserve that endless flow of girls that gives replayability with different advantages and play styles... all while avoiding one clear problem in the concept, in that the more girls you have the more resources you get until you inevitably reach a critical mass and can steamroll through any difficulties that may arise.

You know what, let me put it another way: 
Problem as conceptualized:  Variety and randomness of girls is both a desired boon to play, and their contribution to the game creates linear gains that do not match the drains, overcoming gameplay challenges.  This proposal is intended to be one possible answer to the problem as I have conceptualized it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »
Problem as conceptualized:  Variety and randomness of girls is both a desired boon to play, and their contribution to the game creates linear gains that do not match the drains, overcoming gameplay challenges.  This proposal is intended to be one possible answer to the problem as I have conceptualized it.

Understood.

Simpler way to achieve the same goal: increase upkeep based on a number of girls in players employment (Like Population/City/Happiness in Civ series --> Number of girls/Buildings/Upkeep modifier in PyTFall).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:17:23 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Ponderer

« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
It's possible to do it that way, it would not track with the other gameplay elements proposed around the concept of mana (player based magic and upgrade options depending on the reserves of mana) but if you like any of those you can find an analogue that works for your concept.

That solution does work in those strategy games mostly because city population is married to power where the point is that power translating into troops to project yourself onto the field of play and expand.  This idea was borne of the concept that having large amounts of girls under you isn't only a path to power, but a prime motivator in the game.  As such, I proposed this over an idea where you set that kind of elastic population based limits to avoid frustrating the player as they want more girls but find they have to fire them sometimes to ultimately make more money.

I.e. having big cities isn't what people really get into strategy games for, though it is desired.  Having a lot of whores to master over was a rather large part of whore master.

That said, as long as you knew what I meant, offering a few ideas isall I really wanted to come here and brainstorm for!

Have a great day. :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
I believe not just many whores under your command, but a very large number of characters around the world, including random ones, is what will be a large part in our game. And looks like it will be almost impossible to recruit everyone, or at least quite time consuming.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
I believe not just many whores under your command, but a very large number of characters around the world, including random ones, is what will be a large part in our game. And looks like it will be almost impossible to recruit everyone, or at least quite time consuming.

World population will be controlled, after game elements are complete, we'll know how many girls will be required for the city/arena/exploration/slave market and so on. Game will try to use unique girls first and fill the gaps with random once. Every 7 days or so game will check if any girls have been recruited or died and restore the balance.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
It's still a lot of girls. Arena ladders alone will require a fairly large number of "free" characters.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
It's still a lot of girls. Arena ladders alone will require a fairly large number of "free" characters.

Yeap, right now I am working with 369 loaded into the game, Arena should not require more than 120 - 140 but I am trying to program it in such way that any amount will be enough (which might be a mistake since it requires more and more complicated code).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
If it's too complicated or time consuming, we might set a minimum number of unique girls for the game (and check it at the start of a new game), or make at least 1 random pack mandatory. I know you guys dislike them, but it's the easiest solution for lack of girls anywhere. That, or using clones of unique girls, but it's almost the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:45:53 PM by DarkTl »

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »
I don't understand.... there is a problem when running out of recruitable girls?
Places like arena could be filled with some "generic fighter" NPCs if there are no random girls, places like girlmeets and slave market would be empty but... why no?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
I don't understand.... there is a problem when running out of recruitable girls?
Places like arena could be filled with some "generic fighter" NPCs if there are no random girls, places like girlmeets and slave market would be empty but... why no?

Yeap, 10 - 20 NPCs would solve the problem as well. Right now I am working with random girls for the Arena but NPCs should be really easy to add to the mix.

If it's too complicated or time consuming, we might set a minimum number of unique girls for the game (and check it at the start of a new game), or make at least 1 random pack mandatory. I know you guys dislike them, but it's the easiest solution for lack of girls anywhere. That, or using clones of unique girls, but it's almost the same thing.

Arena is complicated and time-consuming regardless of extra checks required to ensure that it works even with an empty game, but it would speed things up and prolly make game run a bit faster if we agreed that there will always be 100+ characters available to participate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:12:33 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?