Author Topic: Game Design/Ideas  (Read 124595 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Game Design/Ideas
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
We will need extrovert effect as well, opposite to introvert.

Ok, I'll add it today.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
I wonder if we should make some effects stockable. For example, introvert theoretically could be used with Dandere, Loner and Impersonal. So if some character has all three traits, she will have introvert x 3. We could nerf it to 90%, then introvert x 3 will be 70%. What do you think? Or it would be better to have different effects on different traits?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:02 AM »
I wonder if we should make some effects stockable. For example, introvert theoretically could be used with Dandere, Loner and Impersonal. So if some character has all three traits, she will have introvert x 3. We could nerf it to 90%, then introvert x 3 will be 70%. What do you think? Or it would be better to have different effects on different traits?

Once again... this is to powerful. I suggest a block on effect removal if one of the related traits is still active, other traits will be limited to their normal stat mutations. You'll have to give me per effect traits (Introvert: Dandere, Loner, Impersonal) for all traits/effects. I'll make sure that as long as one of those traits is still active, effect will not be disabled.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »
Xela, there won't be any problems if we combine similar effects? For instance, Optimist and Composure at the same time theoretically should offset each other with joy >60 and give increment +2 with joy<60.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2013, 10:15:37 AM »
Xela, there won't be any problems if we combine similar effects? For instance, Optimist and Composure at the same time theoretically should offset each other with joy >60 and give increment +2 with joy<60.

There shouldn't be. All effects should be able to work together without any issues, last thing we have to add to the effect system are blocks on traits that activate them (in case if one effect can be activated or removed by multiple traits)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Ok, so I've wrote a simple but solid class to build parties of 3 members max with implicit members if so desired.

Now we have to decide on format of exploration. My original plan was to simply make a background with a button for encounters and after you kill 20 monsters, you can fight the boss and move onto the next background. It's simple, clean but not to amusing.

Second option is to use a grid, each "tile" will have it's own background and player will be able to move from one tile to the next if that tile is not impassible (simplified rougelike format). There will be a number of tiles and we'll build grids by hand (I do not want to bother with random generator script before 1.0) but the advantage here is that we WILL use this or very similar format past 1.0 so the code I would write for the first option would have to be deleted while the code for this option we can use for future development.

In any case, if we go with option one, I am confident that the system will be done by the end of this weekend, if we go with option two, we "should" have a semi working version by the end of this weekend and working version by the end of next weekend... I would like to hear some opinions on what the best approach will be while I will put in some time into coding a class responsible for enemy strength and BE bridge (that we will require in both systems).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Well, I'd prefer more than 3 members, 4-5 maybe.
On the other hand, after 1.0 we could make max number of members depending on MC stats, like charisma, or ability to change party members more or less freely during combat, like in Golden Sun or FFX.

And what do you mean by implicit members?

As for exploration, I really dislike the first idea. I think it's a waste of time, since significant part of its code will be useless in the future. So I'd prefer grid.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »
Well, I'd prefer more than 3 members, 4-5 maybe.

Unless I am mistaken, BE supports 3 fighters per side at the moment, setting party size to top that is not likely a good idea at this point.

On the other hand, after 1.0 we could make max number of members depending on MC stats, like charisma, or ability to change party members more or less freely during combat, like in Golden Sun or FFX.

I will study BE after 1.0 in great detail, after I figure it out, I'll post some timeframes and options of developing a BE (by me) specifically for PyTFall versus using Jake's version we use today.

And what do you mean by implicit members?

Members that cannot be removed from the team, in main team, it's the hero. In the future, we can introduce other teams with specific leaders or maybe even with all/some implicit member to compete vs player and his team in exploration (who reaches unique items/locations first)

As for exploration, I really dislike the first idea. I think it's a waste of time, since significant part of its code will be useless in the future. So I'd prefer grid.

Well, grid it is than, six month ago I've tried to make that for Alkion but failed miserably, now I am more confident in my coding skills so I am planning to finish it in a week or two :)

We'll see what I come up with this weekend.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »
Ok, let me know if you need any specific pics/sounds/animation in addition to those in db.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
Ok, let me know if you need any specific pics/sounds/animation in addition to those in db.

Will do, I'll write base logic first and add resources from DB later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »
Damn... there are some many ways to write logic for this, does anyone have any ideas/requests for the system?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2013, 03:10:23 AM »
That's a difficult question. Based on my experience with trpg, I can propose fog of war, ie you don't know what in the next cell until you go there, and types of terrain affecting party both inside and outside of BE, like a swamp with penalties to defence and increasing fatigue.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2013, 03:20:48 AM »
That's a difficult question. Based on my experience with trpg, I can propose fog of war, ie you don't know what in the next cell until you go there, and types of terrain affecting party both inside and outside of BE, like a swamp with penalties to defence and increasing fatigue.

Fog of war I was actually already planning to add. Idea for the terrain penalties is very good, I didn't even consider that, but it would require some extra logic. Also, how are we going to handle exploration cost? My plan was to have it cost 2AP per teammember and no other limitations but you're right, fatigue should prolly be somewhere in there.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2013, 03:50:12 AM »
Let's see, in Kamidori different types of terrain require different amount of fatigue to cross, characters restore 1 fp per turn and 2 if they do nothing. There are also potions and special objects on maps to restore fatigue.
If you don't have enough fatigue, you cannot move, but still able to do anything else, like casting a spell or fighting.
I believe 5-10 fatigue per cell should be enough, maybe 20 in very rare cases. And 1-2 AP per cell.
On the other hand, we could use only AP to limit movement in most cases, and some types of terrain will increase fatigue, like swamp or thicket.

There are also skills and items that allow you, for example, move through the lava or fly. This way you cannot go everywhere in the very beginning of the game.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:01:15 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2013, 04:33:51 AM »
Let's see, in Kamidori different types of terrain require different amount of fatigue to cross, characters restore 1 fp per turn and 2 if they do nothing. There are also potions and special objects on maps to restore fatigue.
If you don't have enough fatigue, you cannot move, but still able to do anything else, like casting a spell or fighting.
I believe 5-10 fatigue per cell should be enough, maybe 20 in very rare cases. And 1-2 AP per cell.
On the other hand, we could use only AP to limit movement in most cases, and some types of terrain will increase fatigue, like swamp or thicket.

There are also skills and items that allow you, for example, move through the lava or fly. This way you cannot go everywhere in the very beginning of the game.

I can't see how that would work for us, you're (once again) describing rpg game, we have a brothel sim with a limited fighting element. I doubt that we can make RPG element good enough to be interesting on per turn basis(if only due to the lack of graphics). 2 AP cost to start the exploration and 10 - 15 per tile cost + only belt items will limit the "per turn exploration". If we're going to use large maps, we can make some tiles as "warp points" to jump on a new start.

Otherwise: First mock up of the map  ??? :

Like what we're doing?