Author Topic: Game Design/Ideas  (Read 124599 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: Game Design/Ideas
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
Do you think that I cannot create girl/item/marker on the map/trail/brothel with pure script right now? Complex and unique stuff we'll do with script, simple maps and encounters with JSON.
Right now I cannot, most players cannot too. In other words, this way no one is able to create a dungeon with a boss without your help, unlike items or girls. It means more trouble for you after all  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
Right now I cannot, most players cannot too. In other words, this way no one is able to create a dungeon with a boss without your help, unlike items or girls. It means more trouble for you after all  :)

Boss tile as well than...

I've managed to code in a starting sequence for combat.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2013, 08:40:01 AM »
Btw, if we going to use huge maps, we'll need teleport tiles as well. With the choice of destination, like in Diablo.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:43:12 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »
Btw, if we going to use huge maps, we'll need teleport tiles as well. With the choice of destination, like in Diablo.

Ok, I didn't have any time to code today but did make a very good progress yesterday. We could use teleport tiles but I am beginning to think that JSON stuff is an overkill before 1.0. We can make one or two decent maps for 1.0 and leave it at that or the whole game is gonna be more of a rougelike that Brothel Sim.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
Well, json is a tool to simplify content creation in our case. If you want to create dungeons by yourself, be my guest. While I was bored these days, I created SAO and Tales of Vesperia packs, so I will always find something to do  :)
I going to bring to 300 the number of items this week.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »
Well, json is a tool to simplify content creation in our case. If you want to create dungeons by yourself, be my guest. While I was bored these days, I created SAO and Tales of Vesperia packs, so I will always find something to do  :)

The issue here is that while making all tools required to build maps is easy, creating  a system that tracks and makes those maps playable is somewhat harder. I'll see what's the best way soon (Best way is to allow user creation obviously, I mean what's  the best for now).

Also... I am thinking of using Jakes battle engine for 1.0 and write one from scratch after that, I'll take a very good look at Jake's BE mechanics and what it really offers us after 1.0 release, figure out timeframes and we'll decide on what's best afterwards together.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »
Fleet of foot/Dawdler, we can simply add a 33% chance to add/remove 2 AP on daily basis. That will be an overpowering effect already since the whole game is based around AP.
So, are you going to create effects for them or it simply will be hardcoded?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2013, 07:01:02 AM »
So, are you going to create effects for them or it simply will be hardcoded?

I'll create effect when I get the chance, forgot all about it...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2013, 03:10:03 AM »

Oki, I have set aside 4 hours for the project today so I am going to work on some tiles and map logic. We need to agree on a map format (one large map with "rooms" and "corridors") or a number of smaller "areas".
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2013, 04:15:25 AM »
If we'll divide the large map into sections using bosses, one map should be enough. If you prefer to not use them yet, we could use several little maps, this way high-level maps could be be available at a predetermined level of MC or after some quests.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2013, 04:29:22 AM »
If we'll divide the large map into sections using bosses, one map should be enough. If you prefer to not use them yet, we could use several little maps, this way high-level maps could be be available at a predetermined level of MC or after some quests.

I am in favor of one large map with warping tiles :)

What areas should we make and what backgrounds we got/can get? Oh, and enemies/Bosses are also required... Possible item rewards as well I suppose.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2013, 04:44:29 AM »
All forest backgrounds in my db folder, locations\dungeons\forest.
I have divided backgrounds into three groups, normal, elven and dark. Besides, I've found a good deal of pics for forest ruins, so we either could make a separate tiles for them, or player randomly could find ruins during exploration.
Unless you agree to use pics of real forests, I doubt we can find any more backgrounds.

As for item hunting, I'd prefer to not concentrate on mobs only and create events for rare items like finding forest ruins with a chest guarded by several mobs or even mini-boss.

Enemies are basically random characters with battle sprite and portrait. As for mini-bosses and maybe even bosses, we could use usual mobs with higher stats and different names, at least for alpha.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2013, 04:53:45 AM »
All forest backgrounds in my db folder, locations\dungeons\forest.
I have divided backgrounds into three groups, normal, elven and dark. Besides, I've found a good deal of pics for forest ruins, so we either could make a separate tiles for them, or player randomly could find ruins during exploration.
Unless you agree to use pics of real forests, I doubt we can find any more backgrounds.

As for item hunting, I'd prefer to not concentrate on mobs only and create events for rare items like finding forest ruins with a chest guarded by several mobs or even mini-boss.

Enemies are basically random characters with battle sprite and portrait. As for mini-bosses and maybe even bosses, we could use usual mobs with higher stats and different names, at least for alpha.

Ok, maybe clearing a tile completely from all enemies will give a chance to find some decent items on the said tile?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2013, 05:07:28 AM »
Yeah, sounds nice. We could also use corresponding value for tiles to define the chance to find ruins after clearing. This way you have to go deeper into forest in order to raise your chances.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2013, 05:21:46 AM »
Yeah, sounds nice. We could also use corresponding value for tiles to define the chance to find ruins after clearing. This way you have to go deeper into forest in order to raise your chances.

Prolly a good idea as well, now I need to translate all of that into the code...
Like what we're doing?