Author Topic: New items concept  (Read 36229 times)

Offline DarkTl

New items concept
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:37:26 PM »
Let's sort out items.
What I think about current system:

1) Body+arms+feet are overkill. Every time I create a cool armor, I have to duplicate it twice without a good reason. So there should be 1 body slot that includes all parts when needed.

2) I want underwear slot, probably not for MC though.  It should be unavailable even for view, unless the girl is a slave or a lover (in which case it's 100% available like any other slot). It still exists though, and AI can choose what to wear.

3) Two slots, for big and small weapon, are fine. Though we shouldn't call them weapon slots anymore (there are shields, infamous dildo sword and stuff like fans), more like right and left hand slots.

4) All less important items like rings, amulets, capes, some of existing boots and gloves too should be combined into one general class. There should be several general slots, I think about 3-4.

You can put into these slots any general items (like cape+ring+boots, or three amulets for example) as long as their id is not the same (for example, you cannot wear three rings of constitution, but ring of constitution + small ring of constitution + ring of power are ok).

5) Misc slot is a problem. The very idea of gradually working items is fun and useful, but often we need this functional on non misc items, or we need misc items that give normal bonuses. Perhaps it could be possible to extend the idea, so that any item could be gradually working, yet giving normal bonuses at the same time too if needed?

6) If we free misc slot by sharing its mechanics, I'd rather use the slot itself for something else. Maybe for things like furniture (like our stripping pole) that give small bonuses to all girls in the current building, or for pets (we already have a couple).

7) Perhaps we should abandon the idea of changing traits via items. We don't have many traits, and they are quite important. It's also too simple to equip an item and stop being clumsy instantly.

8) How about requirements for items? Not stats, but occupation and rank. For example, only warriors can wear heavy armors, and only best of them (4 rank and higher) can wear dragon skin armor.
I know it reduces player's freedom though, at least occupation part. But rank part seems reasonable anyway.

9) I wonder if we need two slots for body, one for work and one for free time. Someone had this idea at some point, but I'm not really sure if it will be useful.
You see, warriors don't wear armor all the time (usually), and strippers don't continue to wear nothing after work too.
The problem is that we don't see girls too much outside of work, and when we do, items don't matter much either.

But the very idea is reasonable.

Of course we don't have to use second slot for such cases. In fact, we could use instead one more algorithm for autoequipping system, that based solely on traits and charisma, and not on other stats or occupation.

10) I'm not really sure about universal disposition bonus when you give an arbitrary item to a girl. Plate armor seems a bit inappropriate for a stripper, even very good plate armor, like from mithril.
In fact, I think that a stripper should refuse to take such an item, unless you already fully control her inventory, and have a disposition penalty.
So items could use gifting limitations, like bad occupation and bad trait. Iirc, so far we have good trait and bad trait fields only for autobuying system.

11) Gifts... I'm not really sure here. I think they should have something special about them, not just be items that rise disposition.
At very least they could rise arbitrary stats. Like joy or some skill.

12) Sex toys. I think we should put them in underwear slot too, they suit perfectly. Though you can wear both underwear and toy at the same time, but this is a minor discrepancy.

13) Elements for weapons and body armor. Like fire, water, etc. With numbers too (fire 2).
I'm not sure yet how will we use them in BE, but we can do it for sure. I basically don't want to set all elemental fields in the future, when we'll begin to work with BE, if I can do it right now, and the game could just ignore them meanwhile.

14) Sets.
They are arbitrary sets of items that could be equipped at the same time, and give some arbitrary bonuses when all items in a set are equipped currently.
Many people already asked for sets, so I guess we should give them.

The problem is how to tell the player how many items a set includes, how to tell that this item is a part of a set, and where and how to display this bonus.
All this can be written in description, but that seems quite clumsy to me.

Also, I kinda dislike the idea that we have to check all slots to determine if a set is completed or not. I guess we could use flags instead, so when you equip an item, it gives some hidden flag, and when there are enough such flags with the same id, they give a bonus.

15) I remember one of problems in our current items system!

It's about termination of temporary effects. If you drink a potion that temporary gives you 1000000 hp for one day, you will be dead the next morning without additional scripting. It's a major issue, really.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:46:36 PM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

Re: New items concept
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Forgot about this one.
16) Locked slots for slaves. I mentioned them, it's when you can enable autoequipping, but lock some slots for it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
Let's sort out items.
What I think about current system:

1) Body+arms+feet are overkill. Every time I create a cool armor, I have to duplicate it twice without a good reason. So there should be 1 body slot that includes all parts when needed.

Lets :)

I vote against this! (Do I get two votes as the most active member of the dev team?  ::) )

I think if this is put to the vote, you'll loose every time. The lure of having a matching set of armor is too appealing and familiar.

2) I want underwear slot, probably not for MC though.  It should be unavailable even for view, unless the girl is a slave or a lover (in which case it's 100% available like any other slot). It still exists though, and AI can choose what to wear.

... Yeah, slot is not a problem, but we have content for underwear with current system? And i don't like all the extra logic, not at this development stage anyway. Basically I don't care, if noone object added complexity, this is on as a new slot.

3) Two slots, for big and small weapon, are fine. Though we shouldn't call them weapon slots anymore (there are shields, infamous dildo sword and stuff like fans), more like right and left hand slots.

As long as we don't allow dual weapon yielding with super bonuses. I have a bit of an issue with this because one would expect being able to equip two large weapons and also distinguish between large weapon that requires two hands. Our items system is already very advanced... stuff like this messes it up even further. I don't even know how to vote here becaues I don't know what "baggage" this "simple" request carries with it.

4) All less important items like rings, amulets, capes, some of existing boots and gloves too should be combined into one general class. There should be several general slots, I think about 3-4.

You can put into these slots any general items (like cape+ring+boots, or three amulets for example) as long as their id is not the same (for example, you cannot wear three rings of constitution, but ring of constitution + small ring of constitution + ring of power are ok).

I plainly vote against... why would we want unspecified accessory slots when we have good content for specific slots?

5) Misc slot is a problem. The very idea of gradually working items is fun and useful, but often we need this functional on non misc items, or we need misc items that give normal bonuses. Perhaps it could be possible to extend the idea, so that any item could be gradually working, yet giving normal bonuses at the same time too if needed?

I am not sure... misc items always have their own logic when applied all over the code. Maybe we can do something like allowing any item having misc/normal.consumable "Effects" (for internal use with the game). Maybe it can work, maybe there will be some deal breaker in the code, I can't tell atm.

6) If we free misc slot by sharing its mechanics, I'd rather use the slot itself for something else. Maybe for things like furniture (like our stripping pole) that give small bonuses to all girls in the current building, or for pets (we already have a couple).

Maybe...

7) Perhaps we should abandon the idea of changing traits via items. We don't have many traits, and they are quite important. It's also too simple to equip an item and stop being clumsy instantly.

Any idea simplifies the concept without compromising gameplay, I support. This is one of those ideas. We can come up with series of events to control some traits if we that is required. Or counters/large events during the gameplay.

8) How about requirements for items? Not stats, but occupation and rank. For example, only warriors can wear heavy armors, and only best of them (4 rank and higher) can wear dragon skin armor.
I know it reduces player's freedom though, at least occupation part. But rank part seems reasonable anyway.

We discussed this. There is already a powerful, complicated mechanic in place that negates effects of powerful items when equipped on weak characters... Adding more..., whenever we add more to something that (imo) we've already taken care of (to a good degree), we are f%cking up the game and ourselfs along with it. At least that's how I feel about it.

9) I wonder if we need two slots for body, one for work and one for free time. Someone had this idea at some point, but I'm not really sure if it will be useful.
You see, warriors don't wear armor all the time (usually), and strippers don't continue to wear nothing after work too.
The problem is that we don't see girls too much outside of work, and when we do, items don't matter much either.

But the very idea is reasonable.

Of course we don't have to use second slot for such cases. In fact, we could use instead one more algorithm for autoequipping system, that based solely on traits and charisma, and not on other stats or occupation.

Yeap, one line of code can do this for you without any additional code (autoequip method you've mentioned). We just need to add casual set to it but it's very easy to do. Basically I vote yes in favor of using auto-equip system.

10) I'm not really sure about universal disposition bonus when you give an arbitrary item to a girl. Plate armor seems a bit inappropriate for a stripper, even very good plate armor, like from mithril.
In fact, I think that a stripper should refuse to take such an item, unless you already fully control her inventory, and have a disposition penalty.
So items could use gifting limitations, like bad occupation and bad trait. Iirc, so far we have good trait and bad trait fields only for autobuying system.

You don't get any bonus when giving items to characters atm unless it's through gift system. I acutally have no idea what happens if you give them items that raise disposition, I prolly just coded that like you've asked me to when the system was initially designed. I can take a look at the code and find out, logically, I would think that only consumable items could have such effect when being equipped (consumed).

11) Gifts... I'm not really sure here. I think they should have something special about them, not just be items that rise disposition.
At very least they could rise arbitrary stats. Like joy or some skill.

Joy is a good bet, maybe they already do. Skill, we have plenty of other items for that, it's not the purpose of gifts to do so.

12) Sex toys. I think we should put them in underwear slot too, they suit perfectly. Though you can wear both underwear and toy at the same time, but this is a minor discrepancy.

I think they should be misc... seems like a bloody good fit. Also it prevents overpowering through items that generate stuff while being worn (sex toys tend to have this effect in many games).

13) Elements for weapons and body armor. Like fire, water, etc. With numbers too (fire 2).
I'm not sure yet how will we use them in BE, but we can do it for sure. I basically don't want to set all elemental fields in the future, when we'll begin to work with BE, if I can do it right now, and the game could just ignore them meanwhile.

You can put anything you like in items fields and game will ignore it all for as long as it doesn't anticipate it. This is more or less a safe bet so it's reasonable.

14) Sets.
They are arbitrary sets of items that could be equipped at the same time, and give some arbitrary bonuses when all items in a set are equipped currently.
Many people already asked for sets, so I guess we should give them.

The problem is how to tell the player how many items a set includes, how to tell that this item is a part of a set, and where and how to display this bonus.
All this can be written in description, but that seems quite clumsy to me.

Also, I kinda dislike the idea that we have to check all slots to determine if a set is completed or not. I guess we could use flags instead, so when you equip an item, it gives some hidden flag, and when there are enough such flags with the same id, they give a bonus.

Sets are easier to add than you think.

From you I'll need:

"set": {name: "DragonBone Armor", effects: {"mod": {"magic": 100, "defence": 100, "attack": 100}, "max": {"attack": 100, "defence": 100}}, desc="Kickass armor set!"}

My approach would be to:

Add "name" to Effects and Description to tooltip when hovered (same as for traits).

If just one item of a set is equipped, there is a small red ball in the top left corner of the slot. If two or more, they turn yellow. If all (even if all is just two), they all turn green. Player can just click on the slot to take a look at the items name, it should be apparent when the entire set is called. In an odd case where it's not apparent, hint should be added to items description.

*I went with effects in my proposal because there is a system in place in the code where Effects can literally do whatever the f#ck. We can have item sets from developers and good modders that do truly unique things.

15) I remember one of problems in our current items system!

It's about termination of temporary effects. If you drink a potion that temporary gives you 1000000 hp for one day, you will be dead the next morning without additional scripting. It's a major issue, really.

I've fixed this very long time ago.

16) Locked slots for slaves. I mentioned them, it's when you can enable autoequipping, but lock some slots for it.

More else/elif forks...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
As long as we don't allow dual weapon yielding with super bonuses. I have a bit of an issue with this because one would expect being able to equip two large weapons and also distinguish between large weapon that requires two hands. Our items system is already very advanced... stuff like this messes it up even further. I don't even know how to vote here becaues I don't know what "baggage" this "simple" request carries with it.
Well, you could try to come up when better names. The fact remains that they are not longer just weapons.
There is no new logic involved, except "non-weapon" weapon type that I mentioned already. Shields just give you defence instead of attack.

... Yeah, slot is not a problem, but we have content for underwear with current system? And i don't like all the extra logic, not at this development stage anyway. Basically I don't care, if noone object added complexity, this is on as a new slot.
Content here is not a problem either. Logic makes perfect sense, the slot will be irrational without it. So if you don't want to code hidden stuff, the slot is useless. If you want to code it, I'll make it.

I plainly vote against... why would we want unspecified accessory slots when we have good content for specific slots?
...good content?

The very fact that we have a separate slot (even two in this case) for rings forces me to make multiple various rings. Same with amulets, same with capes.
Meanwhile most of them don't have a real meaning because I created them only to have them, not because I found a cool icon or had a decent idea. Using them as general items will provide freedom for creativity, and it also will allow us to freely use unusial items like earrings for example, as a part of those general items.

Basically, creating an armor or a weapon or even an underwear is much more simple and interesting process then creating those damn rings (let them burn in hell).

You don't get any bonus when giving items to characters atm unless it's through gift system. I acutally have no idea what happens if you give them items that raise disposition, I prolly just coded that like you've asked me to when the system was initially designed. I can take a look at the code and find out, logically, I would think that only consumable items could have such effect when being equipped (consumed).
Ok, now that's some news to me.
What does dismod field do then?  :D

Joy is a good bet, maybe they already do.
Not in the json anyway. Maybe in the code, but I doubt it.

More else/elif forks...
That's more important (in terms of fetishes  ::) )  than you probably think.
For example, you want slaves in collars, or, I don't know, maid slaves. Collar/maid gown equipped and locked, no more wasting time on it ever.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
Well, you could try to come up when better names. The fact remains that they are not longer just weapons.

We'll think on it...

There is no new logic involved, except "non-weapon" weapon type that I mentioned already. Shields just give you defence instead of attack.

I know... but it feels like new logic is required or at least expected :(

Content here is not a problem either. Logic makes perfect sense, the slot will be irrational without it. So if you don't want to code hidden stuff, the slot is useless. If you want to code it, I'll make it.

There is no difference between hidden and displayed slot other than a few lines of code in screens. I'll take a look at it... slots are easy, I just don't want a mess with too many slots and hidden slot is not a good idea because you don't even know if characters has anything equipped.

...good content?

The very fact that we have a separate slot (even two in this case) for rings forces me to make multiple various rings. Same with amulets, same with capes.
Meanwhile most of them don't have a real meaning because I created them only to have them, not because I found a cool icon or had a decent idea. Using them as general items will provide freedom for creativity, and it also will allow us to freely use unusial items like earrings for example, as a part of those general items.

I don't like characters being able to equip multiple boots and capes. Even amulets seems odd. I can add this on the review but I believe it's a loss to the game.

Ok, now that's some news to me.
What does dismod field do then?  :D

It does nothing. We (or I) never figured how to use it property because items can be taken from characters, unequipped, bought by them in shops while being impossible to tag individually (I recall that I've already explained why). So in order not to create a really, really freaky mess, it was never coded in.

Not in the json anyway. Maybe in the code, but I doubt it.

I'll take a look, it can be done based on disposition bonus they provide. I think just giving them gifts should simply give joy in the label (being the only play where a gift can be given).

That's more important (in terms of fetishes  ::) )  than you probably think.
For example, you want slaves in collars, or, I don't know, maid slaves. Collar/maid gown equipped and locked, no more wasting time on it ever.

Right... I'll lock some items on a review. We can add a field ("locked": true) for example.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
There is no difference between hidden and displayed slot other than a few lines of code in screens. I'll take a look at it... slots are easy, I just don't want a mess with too many slots and hidden slot is not a good idea because you don't even know if characters has anything equipped.
But that's expected, right? When you see a random girl, you can't say if she has an underwear at all, and if she has, which exactly.
For slaves and lovers it will be visible all the time, for others you don't even see a slot there.

I don't like characters being able to equip multiple boots and capes. Even amulets seems odd. I can add this on the review but I believe it's a loss to the game.
Alright, let's put it another way. Instead of same id you cannot equip general items with the same type, where type is an arbitrary string in json. That's a one simple check.
So even if we use new items like earings, all of them will have earrings type, so no multiple earrings too.

Feels like a flexible system for modders as well.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
But that's expected, right? When you see a random girl, you can't say if she has an underwear at all, and if she has, which exactly.
For slaves and lovers it will be visible all the time, for others you don't even see a slot there.

A lot of stuff in the game works that way or assumed to work that way. Stats, Traits, Misc Items (some of them for sure), Inventory with no limits. It's a better not to hide it,

Alright, let's put it another way. Instead of same id you cannot equip general items with the same type, where type is an arbitrary string in json. That's a one simple check.
So even if we use new items like earings, all of them will have earrings type, so no multiple earrings too.

Feels like a flexible system for modders as well.

Prolly for the next review, I am too tired to properly consider this atm but it seems to me like a significant complication for auto-equip function that is far from being as straightforward as you may think.
Like what we're doing?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »
Hi!
Alright, how to sort this...

There are multiple ways in which you want to change slots. Let's start with the most important one, the body equipment slots.
I think we should keep body equipment slots as they are, same with main hand and off hand slot (that you should also name that way), but I do understand DarkTI's point, so why not create an option for items to use multiple slots?
A two handed weapon could use both the main hand and the off hand slot for example. A full body armor could use all body slots and so on.
I think that would be a very simple and intuitive solution for a complex problem.

Next, the accessories like rings and amulets. I personally think that they should be seperated from the body slots and simply be called accessories. It's not as limiting as rings but not too general either.

I don't know about the underwear slot and to be honest I don't really care much about it, but I don't like hidden information in general.

Personally, I hate the miscellaneous slot. Not only is it a bother for the programmer, it's also a bother for the player because that slot is inconvenient and confusing. Either an item is consumable or it is equippable, the misc slot is both. Very strange and very unnecessary. I'd just remove it.

The free time armor slot - as Xela already mentioned - becomes obsolete with the auto-equip system.

Also, I'm all for simple requirements for some items. Why solve this with a complex stat system rather than just putting a required rank on the item?
Have fun!

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 03:28:34 AM »
- Misc items are confusing indeed. They do have the same mechanics, but there is nothing else that unites them. There are pets, there are small items, and even furniture.

It's hard to imagine how girls handle all this stuff, especially since they keep misc bonuses everywhere, not just inside the building. I'd say if we keep misc slot, it should have a precise function, not just be a slot for graduatly working random items. Perhaps we should abandon obviously immovable objects at very least.

- We don't have many rings, especially good ones. And we have hands slot, so sometimes you shouldn't be able to equip rings anyway, like with plate armor gloves.
I propose to combine hand and ring slots into one slot. Hand is hand, either you wear a ring or a glove. Unless you one of those people who use in skyrim that mod for 10 rings slots  ::)

- Capes are a problem in terms of icons. It is the most rare category ever in this regard.
I propose to combine it either with head slot (they usually have a hood), or with neck slot (they are normally attached to the neck and shoulder area).

Also, I kinda dislike the idea of small magic amulets as such. I want neck slot only for jewelry and for things like collars and ribbons. So to combine neck and cape slots could be the best bet.

Offline MuteDay

• Loving life and PinkPetal Family
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 03:32:32 AM »
lol at least for rings, wouldnt it be better to have only 2 ie you have two ring fingers, except characters that are either handless or 1handed

Please Enjoy all the hard work i Do to help make the game and forums a better place :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »
Hi!
Alright, how to sort this...

There are multiple ways in which you want to change slots. Let's start with the most important one, the body equipment slots.
I think we should keep body equipment slots as they are, same with main hand and off hand slot (that you should also name that way), but I do understand DarkTI's point, so why not create an option for items to use multiple slots?
A two handed weapon could use both the main hand and the off hand slot for example. A full body armor could use all body slots and so on.
I think that would be a very simple and intuitive solution for a complex problem.

It may be simple to understand, but it's a b!tch to code and maintain. It's not just that we would no longer be able to assume that one item can take just one slot during iteration but the auto-equip method will require a lot of added complicated code to check if every item that takes up more than one slot is better than remainder of the pool with the best items when used in separate slots. To make matter worse, new suggested logic already requires to put in check for complete sets and do the same thing or end up with a rather sh!tty auto-equipment method.

I kinda like this as a solution but really hate this as implementation.

Next, the accessories like rings and amulets. I personally think that they should be seperated from the body slots and simply be called accessories. It's not as limiting as rings but not too general either.

I don't know about the underwear slot and to be honest I don't really care much about it, but I don't like hidden information in general.

I dislike these generalizations in games. But both ways are matter of personal preferences.

My attitude towards underwear is exactly the same.

Personally, I hate the miscellaneous slot. Not only is it a bother for the programmer, it's also a bother for the player because that slot is inconvenient and confusing. Either an item is consumable or it is equippable, the misc slot is both. Very strange and very unnecessary. I'd just remove it.

Also, I'm all for simple requirements for some items. Why solve this with a complex stat system rather than just putting a required rank on the item?

I'll answer about the misc slot in my post to Dark because he was the one who suggested it.

Stats logic (imo) is quite good and already at place... I'd really prefer to keep it.

============================================

- Misc items are confusing indeed. They do have the same mechanics, but there is nothing else that unites them. There are pets, there are small items, and even furniture.

It's hard to imagine how girls handle all this stuff, especially since they keep misc bonuses everywhere, not just inside the building. I'd say if we keep misc slot, it should have a precise function, not just be a slot for graduatly working random items. Perhaps we should abandon obviously immovable objects at very least.

You've requested the slot. When it was discussed, we've decided that if all items have this mechanic, snowball effect will be unmanageable and good items very hard to create without starting one.

The slot was also created to handle special case items found in WM and other games that do not really fit in normal slots. I think that it was a decent idea back then and that it's a decent idea now, why back out or limit it all of a sudden?

It doesn't need to be logical, not everything in the game can be. It's a good, interesting slot with it's own "powers". Not mentioning code for it is already written.

================================
- We don't have many rings, especially good ones. And we have hands slot, so sometimes you shouldn't be able to equip rings anyway, like with plate armor gloves.
I propose to combine hand and ring slots into one slot. Hand is hand, either you wear a ring or a glove. Unless you one of those people who use in skyrim that mod for 10 rings slots  ::)

- Capes are a problem in terms of icons. It is the most rare category ever in this regard.
I propose to combine it either with head slot (they usually have a hood), or with neck slot (they are normally attached to the neck and shoulder area).

Also, I kinda dislike the idea of small magic amulets as such. I want neck slot only for jewelry and for things like collars and ribbons. So to combine neck and cape slots could be the best bet.

lol at least for rings, wouldnt it be better to have only 2 ie you have two ring fingers, except characters that are either handless or 1handed

Really? We don't? I don't have 37 excellent rings with cool picture in my dev version right now? Even if you think that's no enough, I've proposed to add "LVL-1" text to pictures when they are displayed to allow rings with levels. Rings are actually excellent design in my opinion at least and we have some of the best content for it!

We've decided to roll with 3 rings in PyTFall, I see no good reason to change that.

*We do have 15 decent capes (1 or 2 have poorly cut images), I see no reason to change that either. Same thing for amulets. They also look well (positioned) in the equipment screens!

================================
This: "main hand and off hand slot", prolly is the best option to rename the slots we're gonna come up with.

More discussion points (for current items review, if you think something should be left for the next review, do tell :) ):

1) Do we need added test to display next to pictures?
2) Do we need to create more slots like "quest" or attributes like "character_id" (cannot be equipped to anyone except specific characters).
3) Do we need to create an option for the item to pick it's own background when displayed in inventories and slots? Some items have really dark pics, some have the opposite. It is impossible to pick one backgrounds that works for them all, but it should be possible to come up with two, one light and one dark. If we use the same frame for them, it should not look too out of place.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
You do understand that without any traits modification AND without libido many items will become useless on spot, right?
Go ahead, count how many items use them, if you can do it via console.

Really? We don't? I don't have 37 excellent rings with cool picture in my dev version right now?
Pictures are cool, no doubt about it. Too bad we don't have enough stats or other changable things to give them meaning.
I would understand if we had like 25 various skills and 50 flags. But we don't.

You've requested the slot. When it was discussed, we've decided that if all items have this mechanic, snowball effect will be unmanageable and good items very hard to create without starting one.

The slot was also created to handle special case items found in WM and other games that do not really fit in normal slots. I think that it was a decent idea back then and that it's a decent idea now, why back out or limit it all of a sudden?

It doesn't need to be logical, not everything in the game can be. It's a good, interesting slot with it's own "powers". Not mentioning code for it is already written.
The idea of gradually working items is yours though.
I wonder if it's possible to make them to not work in some cases, like during exloration for example.

We do have 15 decent capes (1 or 2 have poorly cut images), I see no reason to change that either.
I hope you like those 15 capes a lot, because there will be no more decent icons. Even Gismo was unable to find more.

1) Do we need added test to display next to pictures?
2) Do we need to create more slots like "quest" or attributes like "character_id" (cannot be equipped to anyone except specific characters).
3) Do we need to create an option for the item to pick it's own background when displayed in inventories and slots? Some items have really dark pics, some have the opposite. It is impossible to pick one backgrounds that works for them all, but it should be possible to come up with two, one light and one dark. If we use the same frame for them, it should not look too out of place.
1) I don't understand this one  :D
2) Yup, character_id would be priceless. Though I doubt quest items need a slot for equipping, they just have to be there. Like keys, for example.
3) Yeap, makes sense.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:51:01 AM »
Aha!
I managed to open some resourses from Dungeons and Dolls after all  ;D

Yeah, well, the good news: that now we have cool items and even can easily add demountable android in the game, like an assistant for example.
The bad news: still no textures for maze.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:07:40 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
You do understand that without any traits modification AND without libido many items will become useless on spot, right?
Go ahead, count how many items use them, if you can do it via console.

Many items mod more than just libido and/or traits. That's not the point.

Also I have not yet removed traits assignment through items either.

And also... we will have more and more skills as we move forward.

And... :D New skills system allow as to mod three multipliers and theoretical + practical skills. Meaning a lot more possible content for items.

Pictures are cool, no doubt about it. Too bad we don't have enough stats or other changable things to give them meaning.
I would understand if we had like 25 various skills and 50 flags. But we don't.

We're bound to at some point. But there are plenty of combinations as well. If you're having trouble coming up with new items, just focus on the once we have. If you really run out of options even for that I can take a look at it myself.

The idea of gradually working items is yours though.
I wonder if it's possible to make them to not work in some cases, like during exloration for example.

Possible but not necessary. It doesn't all need to be perfect and make total sense.

I hope you like those 15 capes a lot, because there will be no more decent icons. Even Gismo was unable to find more.

1) I don't understand this one  :D

I meant text. If we need an option to add text to pictures when displaying items? We can prolly leave it until we have more skills/content and may require more items than we can find icons for...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
C'mon, most of those capes are 100% cartoonish. Have some standards, it's not DisneyFall ::)
I'd take only 3 of them. While there are literally hundreds of other items types in db, non cartoonish ones.

Let's clarify something. What skills do we have currently? Refinement and service I remember. Anything else?

I meant text. If we need an option to add text to pictures when displaying items? We can prolly leave it until we have more skills/content and may require more items than we can find icons for...
I still don't understand how is that supposed to look, or how can we use it. Items already have descriptions, right?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:33:15 AM by DarkTl »