devolution

Author Topic: catacombs idea  (Read 8109 times)

Offline b00marrows

catacombs idea
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »
i came up with an idea this morning, it helps with 2 issues i have with WM currently.
this issue is capturing girls in the catacombs, there is no dificulty to it and its somewhat free...

my idea is to make a minor cost to capturing girls, i have a few difirent ways of doing this.

1. A simple tick box in "brothel setup" selecting whether or not you want catacomb explorers to catch girls/beasts, with a cost to capturing relevent to the dificulty they need example,
Easy: 100 gold (lower tier/random girls)
Medium: 300 gold (mid tier)
Hard: 800-100 gold (high tier/unique girls)
the only issue with this is its somewhat random. and when the tick box is off you get moremoney/items while not capturing girls(possible difirent stats because you kill the monsters?)

2. have an item requirement, with tiers like shown above. the cost of the item depends on the tier and the item, and the girls you can capture get better depending on what one you have, for example:
easy/low tier= 80% of low tier girl 20% of medium
medium/mid tier =20% low, 70% mid and 10% high
high/top tier =20% mid 80% high

what i want to know is how hard would this be to modify? and be serious, dont just say "it will be hard because of the way WM is made"

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: catacombs idea
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:43:29 AM »
what i want to know is how hard would this be to modify? and be serious, dont just say "it will be hard because of the way WM is made"

Part one can be done, there is nothing in WM code that prevents or complicates this that I am aware of.

i came up with an idea this morning, it helps with 2 issues i have with WM currently.
this issue is capturing girls in the catacombs, there is no dificulty to it and its somewhat free...

my idea is to make a minor cost to capturing girls, i have a few difirent ways of doing this.

1. A simple tick box in "brothel setup" selecting whether or not you want catacomb explorers to catch girls/beasts, with a cost to capturing relevent to the dificulty they need example,
Easy: 100 gold (lower tier/random girls)
Medium: 300 gold (mid tier)
Hard: 800-100 gold (high tier/unique girls)
the only issue with this is its somewhat random. and when the tick box is off you get moremoney/items while not capturing girls(possible difirent stats because you kill the monsters?)

the only issue...  ::)

Interesting, who exactly are you suggesting we 'pay' for bettering out chances in finding better girls/items? Goddess of luck and fortune? The idea of exploration is that you never know what you may find or what you could encounter, this is one of the most counter-intuitive ideas for WM I've heard so far.

Anon had similar problems with WM so he introduced 'Levels' to catacombs, the deeper you went in, the stronger monsters became and the better rewards you got. His design was far from perfect but made more sense.

2. have an item requirement, with tiers like shown above. the cost of the item depends on the tier and the item, and the girls you can capture get better depending on what one you have, for example:
easy/low tier= 80% of low tier girl 20% of medium
medium/mid tier =20% low, 70% mid and 10% high
high/top tier =20% mid 80% high

I didn't understood this part...
Like what we're doing?

Offline akab

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:44 PM »
I didn't understood this part...

If I understand correctly I believe refers to the level of the object needed (sacrificed) for research.
For example, a gem.
Gem basic level / low level: if successful, it has a 80% to find a girl of low level and 20% to find a girl of average level... and so on.

Offline b00marrows

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »
i guess i wasen't clear enough.

to put it simply, a battle with a girl is nice, but who says she dosn't run away? what stops the girl from escaping while she is being dragged back by her ankles (altho it dose sound...cool)

it is also putting a cost to gaining girls, via an item! my 3 ideas are net's, handcuff's or ropes. with difirent tiers depending on the girl you capture.

yeah you COULD wrap a girl in rope but who says she wont gain some of her strength back and break out of it and escape? who says she wont cast a spell and escape?

with higher tier handcuffs they could be "enchanted" to stop spells and/or reduce strength? ( i know for a fact there's an item in the game already that dose this!)

higher tier girls are more powerful, so they take higher tier gear to capture. <- simplified

my main reason for this is i hate having to balance a demon god to that of a normal girl JUST BECAUSE SHE HAS A RANDOM CHANCE OF BEING THE FIRST MONSTER CAPTURED... (over exaggerated!)

Offline b00marrows

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »

If I understand correctly I believe refers to the level of the object needed (sacrificed) for research.
For example, a gem.
Gem basic level / low level: if successful, it has a 80% to find a girl of low level and 20% to find a girl of average level... and so on.

almost, higher items allow for higher level girls to be captured. and it dosent have to be sacraficed either, who says a fair of magical handcuffs are going to dissapear somewhere during the capture? why could you not gain the item back after some "training" have been done?

the reason lower tier girls are harder to capture with the higher tier items is beacuse the magical items are dangerous! you could slap a pair of giant, magicaly enchanted handcuffs on any girl but i doubt a weak/frail girl who just lost a fight would live the process...

Offline akab

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
Ah! I had not understood.  :D
Now it has certainly more sense, and I like the idea.

One would think to include some sort of random event, leading to the meeting
with individuals who could trade rare or unusual. Maybe even the ability to do
business  (objects or girls) or diplamacy with other Master.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
Your suggestion present far more problems and questions than they solve... and those problems are numerous so I am not even going to make a list but instead I'll address your 'main reason':

my main reason for this is i hate having to balance a demon god to that of a normal girl JUST BECAUSE SHE HAS A RANDOM CHANCE OF BEING THE FIRST MONSTER CAPTURED... (over exaggerated!)

You see, this is the main problem when making girl packs for games like WM. In most Anime and Games out there girls are designed to be extraordinarily beautiful, strong, smart, scary, powerful, charismatic and so on. They also come from virtual 'universes' with their own rules and physics where those girls are strongest/fastest/prettiest etc. There is no denominator that you can use to compare all of the heroines and there will never be one so that means that your demon god power is very relative and by the same logic nearly all of girls in WM should have overwhelming starting 'Looks' stat and a large number of girls in WM should have insane battle stats from the start.

That as experience and reviews on forums has showed us is not always appreciated by community and doesn't make the game 'fun' for many players.

That can be solved in a number of ways as for example in Alkion we have decided not to allow player to set girl's stats in xml, instead starting stats will depend only on starting traits that you use to 'describe' the girl when you make a pack.

In the end, if you think for example that a demon god of yours should have high battle stats, another person will always come out and say that a different girl from some other game or anime will beat the living shit out of her and there is no way to come to a conclusive end in the discussion like that so we will get stuck with a bunch of overpowered characters like in WM unless that issue is solved on the design (code) level, but as you can prolly see, your suggestion doesn't really solve it, instead it encourages everyone to make overpowered girls as it introduces new ways to prevent player from acquiring them with ease.

PS: The 'main problem' really I think is that your idea is not actually all that bad BUT if introduced on it's own it will not make the game any better for obvious reasons and if you want to make a good game where girls have 'levels' and different rules for acquiring girls of different levels it will likely be a new game, not the original WM.
Like what we're doing?

Offline b00marrows

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
-snip-
too true, there's not really any way of comparing the different "universes" of the girls. balance is ALWAYS an issue. I have decided to tell myself "when a girl is captured she looses most of her power" just to keep my conscience at bay  :D

i still want info on the first idea, a tick box (or something) telling the catacombs adventurers if they should capture girls/beasts. and maybe some bonus to gold/items if you do turn it off?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
i still want info on the first idea, a tick box (or something) telling the catacombs adventurers if they should capture girls/beasts. and maybe some bonus to gold/items if you do turn it off?

It is definitely not a bad idea to have a bar that you could shift to determine if your girls should hunt for more items in catacombs or more girls or more beasts and maybe another bar that you could use to tell them what 'risk' to take in those hunts/quests, with more 'risk' would come better rewards, that is something many people would welcome in game I expect...
Like what we're doing?