devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3818904 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9240 on: January 05, 2017, 09:29:20 AM »
An event? I only found this about events, and I don't see how is it connected to alts.

I mean like a selected_idle/selected_hover atl external event triggers. I need to see the code but it is worth trying.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9241 on: January 05, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
So, after the renpy update where they updated python strings a bit there is no need to use u before strings, like here?
Code: [Select]
text (u"{color=#F5F5DC}%s/%s"%(hero.health, hero.get_max("health"))) xalign 1.0 style_suffix "value_text" xoffset -6 yoffset 4

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9242 on: January 05, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
There was no need in the past either, some people claimed usecases where strings crashed the engine without unicode conversion but I never encountered anything of a sort.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9243 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
I added prototype of traits info screen, it shows once you click on trait in character or MC profile. I'm not sure how much info it should show, but such screen is needed anyway, without it we force people to read traits jsons.

For skills bonuses/penalties I found icons to avoid showing raw numbers. I had a hard time searching for suitable icons, and while they are more or less suitable, they are not perfect. But I ran out of ideas  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:51:40 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9244 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:25 AM »
Looks good!
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9245 on: January 06, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
I'm unable to show there stuff like evasion bonus because it's not registered in the Trait class, and once I register it there, it stops working.

Battle-only stats can be hidden, but if you prefer to show them, it's up to you to register them properly in the trait class.

Xela, resolve the problem with DefenceBuffSpell. We can justify many things, but not the case when you can cast the very same spell twice or thrice getting double or triple defence buff.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:00:27 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9246 on: January 06, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Xela, resolve the problem with DefenceBuffSpell. We can justify many things, but not the case when you can cast the very same spell twice or thrice getting double or triple defence buff.

I'll take a look but this is tricky, a more appropriate control system is required. I'll add this to the BE TODO Issue.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9247 on: January 06, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
Ok... so in the best case scenario, how do we want buffs to work?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9248 on: January 06, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »
Ideally: all buffs/debuffs spells, including future ones, have special keywords as arguments.
If, for example, the target already has active buff/debuff with X keyword, then ANY spells with the X keyword cannot be casted on the target (or can be casted, but won't work anyway) until this active buff/debuff with the X keyword ends. It will allow full control for all buffs.

Easy way out: if defence_multiplier in current target effects, then no spells with defence_multiplier can be casted. I'm not sure though how well it will work with items and traits, since they can give defence multipliers too.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9249 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »
Ideally: all buffs/debuffs spells, including future ones, have special keywords as arguments.
If, for example, the target already has active buff/debuff with X keyword, then ANY spells with the X keyword cannot be casted on the target (or can be casted, but won't work anyway) until this active buff/debuff with the X keyword ends. It will allow full control for all buffs.

Ok, so we'll add a new property, lets call it "buff_group" and we add two options to it: ["kind_of_a_buff", level]. We'll apply the buff only if target does have the buff already or has one with the higher or same level?

If you confirm this, I'll code it in tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9250 on: January 07, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »
Simply
Code: [Select]
DefenceBuffSpell("Solid Field", attributes=["status", "earth"], defence_multiplier={"melee": 1.5},  "buff_group" = "kind_of_a_buff", ...If the target has active buff/debuff with "buff_group" == "kind_of_a_buff", then no spells with the same kind_of_a_buff can be casted on it. Until the buff/debuff ends, of course.
It will allow us to control how buffs stack, and also will automatically prevent cases when the very same spell stacks with itself.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9251 on: January 07, 2017, 03:44:42 AM »
It will allow us to control how buffs stack, and also will automatically prevent cases when the very same spell stacks with itself.

Ok, that would prevent stronger spell taking over though... but we can always add that later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9252 on: January 07, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »
Nothing wrong with it. Not our problem if player or ai decided to apply a weak spell when had a chance to apply a strong one.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9253 on: January 07, 2017, 05:12:28 AM »
Nothing wrong with it. Not our problem if player or ai decided to apply a weak spell when had a chance to apply a strong one.

If you say so, we can always add that at some latter point. There is a system in place already that should prevent the second buff from being applied, it is odd that it's not working or maybe it does work reports that describe what's happening are off. The latter is more likely according to standing code.

I'll add the new field in either case and see if reports can be improved.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9254 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:59 AM »
Perhaps secondary buffs don't actually work, I didn't tested it so deeply. But I managed to cast the very same spell 9 times on the same character, and that led to 9 buffs icons above her head.