Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3815620 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9255 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:12 AM »
It's done. It was a case of reports only with just the one buff being active at any time. It still works like that but you now can specify the buff_group to allow more than one active buff.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9256 on: January 07, 2017, 06:42:33 AM »
Decided to take out some more standing BE issues. BE now takes a new max_skill_level argument which allows to block spells according to their menu_pos. Setting it to for example 5 will cut off all major spells and can be used for indoor fighting where civs are nearby.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9257 on: January 07, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
You can now add "master_shake": True to the target effects dict, it will shake the screen as targets are being hit.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9258 on: January 07, 2017, 08:03:22 AM »
I added max_skill_level to the tavern fights, work perfectly.

Just noticed that half of spells use casting_effects=[...], which does not work anymore, while the other half use attacker_effects={...}, which works. How weird  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9259 on: January 07, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
I'll take a look, it is weird cause both old and new way used to work...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9260 on: January 07, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
I'll just change everything to attacker_effects, and you can remove old casting_effects code.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9261 on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »
I'll just change everything to attacker_effects, and you can remove old casting_effects code.

I've added new effect to signify whos attacking turn it is to clear your request from 10 days ago, looks nice :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9262 on: January 07, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »

It's weird, they are setup to work based of sorting index which I don't think we even use anymore.

Code: [Select]
sfx=None, gfx=None, zoom=None, aim=None, xo=0, yo=0, pause=None, anchor=None, target_damage_gfx=None, # <=== These should die off in time!
All of these are very old and have been replaced.

Edit:
Ah, I see what happened... when trying to setup default values for different attack types, some older definitions got disabled.

It doesn't make sense to get rid of one old field but keep the others around, we'll get rid of them once we're sure that all older fields are gone.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:04:25 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9263 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »
I found and pushed a damage effect for water. The idea is do nothing with sprite but show the bubbles webm over it. Pretty much like we do with on_fire damage effect, however there is no need to recolor or hide sprite itself because webm is transparent.
Sadly, we don't have such effects yet, so I don't have an example to make it work.
The webm is located in content\gfx\autowebm\be_water_mask. Now, I have no idea if it's possible to do with webms in renpy, or easy enough to make sense. In which case it should be deleted.

I've added new effect to signify whos attacking turn it is to clear your request from 10 days ago, looks nice :)
Looks awesome!  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:34:16 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9264 on: January 07, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
The webm is located in content\gfx\autowebm\be_water_mask. Now, I have no idea if it's possible to do with webms in renpy, or easy enough to make sense. In which case it should be deleted.

Done, you can use "on_water" to activate the effect. There is also an option to get the enemy sprite to shake at the same time, to do that it must end with shake, like: "on_water_with_shake".

I've also corrected/improved some stuff like arrows used to pick target.

Edit: master shake is separated from all of that so it can be used at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:17:19 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9265 on: January 07, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Ah, I see what happened... when trying to setup default values for different attack types, some older definitions got disabled.

It doesn't make sense to get rid of one old field but keep the others around, we'll get rid of them once we're sure that all older fields are gone.
I updated all skills and spells, they all use the new format now.

It, however, led to unexpected problem. Some simplest attacks have more than one sound, which used to be selected randomly by the old format. Now I use
        SimpleSkill("Whip Strike", attributes=["melee", "physical"], critpower=.4, desc="Lashing with a whip.", effect=4, range=1, vitality_cost=1, menu_pos=0,
                              main_effect={"gfx": ProportionalScale("content/gfx/be/whip.png", 150, 150), "sfx": list("content/sfx/sound/be/whip_attack_%d.mp3"%i for i in xrange(1, 2))},
                              target_sprite_damage_effect={"gfx": "shake", "initial_pause": .05, "duration": .5})
but I don't see it working. It always plays the very first sound in the list.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9266 on: January 07, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
but I don't see it working. It always plays the very first sound in the list.

Wow... that's unexpected...

There is a lot of garbage code floating around between the skill classes, mostly dealing with going from old to new styles of arguments, it is worth the effort to clear some of that before major refactoring effort.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9267 on: January 08, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
It's funny :) In a bunch of places, there are 2 - 3 ways in BE classes to do same or very similar things... prolly working on BE on and off, I kept forgetting what was already there.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9268 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:48 AM »
Oki, I've completely refactored SimpleSkill out of the code, let me know if the sound thing persists and if it does.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9269 on: January 08, 2017, 06:42:08 AM »
The bug is still there. You can test it via Throw attack.
        BE_Action("Throw", attributes=["ranged", "physical"], desc="Throwing a projectile.", effect=5, range=3, vitality_cost=1, menu_pos=0,
                              main_effect={"gfx": ProportionalScale("content/gfx/be/throw.png", 150, 150), "sfx": list("content/sfx/sound/be/throwing_attack_%d.mp3"%i for i in xrange(1, 2))},
                              target_sprite_damage_effect={"gfx": "shake", "initial_pause": .05, "duration": .5})
There are two very different mp3, throwing_attack_1 and throwing_attack_2, but it always uses the first one. Maybe I should set sfx somehow differently, I don't know.