devolution

Author Topic: Alternative to dungeon  (Read 7969 times)

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Alternative to dungeon
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
It would be nice to have a holding area for girls that isn't the dungeon.  If you have a full brothel, but don't yet control enough businesses to buy a second one, you can end up with a large number of girls languishing in the dungeon.  Those you don't enslave lose happiness very quickly, and often will kill themselves shortly after you finally get space to release them to (as a side note, it makes little sense that free girls lose happiness in the dungeon but slave girls don't).  What about having a housing option where you can send girls not currently being used elsewhere or being broken in the dungeon?
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Bloodly

Re: Alternative to dungeon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:34:02 AM »
Hmm...you can still adjust the quality of their rooming in the dungeon.  Is there a setting that would negate the drop?

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »
I don't know...I haven't really played around with room quality in a long time - does it actually have an effect on the game now?  I haven't felt a need to have anything higher than adequate, though it would be nice if there was some benefit to setting it higher.

Dungeons are a place of punishment.  They shouldn't be used as a waiting room.

I see the hiring process go something like this now:

Girl: "Hi, I'm broke, can you help me?"
You: "Sure, come work for me."
Girl: "Ok."
You: "I don't have a space for you right now, but if you'll just wait in the dark, dank dungeon of doom, I'm sure I'll have a spot open soon."
Girl: "Uhh....ok?"
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:52:53 AM »
Even though you have a point it'd just add another button and management screen to the game. Something we could honestly do without in my opinion.

I suppose you could use another word instead of Dungeon... but this is such a minor issue.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:38 AM »
Basically, we need some way to cancel the happiness drain if we don't want it for them-if it's a matter of 'Not enough room' or even 'switch out and rest for now' rather than 'punishment'.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »
Exactly.  There is also the issue with rebellious girls running away when you send them to the dungeon.  If I just want them out of the brothel to rest (because I'm playing a "good" game where I don't torture girls), it would be nice if they wouldn't run away without pretext.

Offline sgb

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
It could be resolved without making a new 'area' by having girls of certain status (ie not kidnapped or taken from a deadbeat customer/territory) immune to the happiness loss.  It doesn't really make sense that a girl that came willingly automatically gets chained to a wall in a dungeon.

As for transferring girls out, I don't really see the issue now that there's a transfer screen.  If you have 20 girls to the fill the first brothel, you should have enough trained gangs to quickly get up to the next brothel.  The point of the game is to keep expanding, and with a full brothel you will easily have enough income to support 10+ gangs if you want that many.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:40 PM »
You can build more rooms in the next version (3000 for 5 extra rooms).
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »
Sweet!  That will be a huge help.

Offline trex

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
Ah, that sounds great. Use up some of that mountain of gold that's just lying around.

Offline letmein

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
Actually, until the job/building system is revamped, getting more rooms isn't all that useful.  As it stands now, the number of customers will always be less than a full building can serve, so making it an *extra* full building will be pretty much redundant...

But in the future, it will be a very nice addition.m  ;)
Still lurking.

Offline sgb

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »
Yeah, right now 14 girls dividing into night/day with max advertising seems to be about peek operating level.  Adding more just seems to take away customers from other girls at that point, so your net income really doesn't change.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 01:09:21 AM »
Actually, until the job/building system is revamped, getting more rooms isn't all that useful.

Actually, it's very useful for my play style, if not for others.  I tend to accumulate girls at a rapid pace, far exceeding my acquisition of businesses.  By the time I get the second brothel, I have enough girls to fill that one and still have more left over.  If I can have extra rooms, at the very least I can train the girls rather than having them sit in the dungeon, where they can do nothing at all.

exodia91

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »
remember, you can always throw some girls in the strip bar to make some cash off them, and putting them to work in the gambling hall is supposed to attract more customers, I think streets also uses a separate customer pool, or at least it should.