Author Topic: Making a game through twine  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Dabanisher

Making a game through twine
« on: December 25, 2018, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm trying to make a game through twine. I'm calling it Dimension Door Administration and im using the same coding base as free cities which is twine(sugarcube). i plan on many things to be features of the game.
-random chance encounters
-slave management
-story
-dungeon crawling(maybe still looks a bit iffy from what i have seen on others doing it)
-Pregnancy(want this but i have no idea how to impliment it yet)
-combat

I come from no coding background at all and have basically just been going through guides and tutorials on how to manage this (from what I'm told) much simpler program. it uses css and javascript on top of itself and this program is basically a base for a choose your own adventure game. but i finally found out that whoever made free cities was able to do it on twine(sugarcube). and so I've begun to try and make a game. Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:32:41 PM by Dabanisher »

Offline Solitude103

Re: Making a game through twine
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 01:02:08 AM »
Welp. I can't offer no help as I have no knowledge on the matter, but I wish you luck. I might venture on my own journey someday, but I gotta' go through some tutorials as well.

Offline spiker1984

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 03:19:30 AM »
I'm trying to make a game through twine. I'm calling it Dimension Door Administration and im using the same coding base as free cities which is twine(sugarcube). i plan on many things to be features of the game.
-random chance encounters
-slave management
-story
-dungeon crawling(maybe still looks a bit iffy from what i have seen on others doing it)
-Pregnancy(want this but i have no idea how to impliment it yet)
-combat

I come from no coding background at all and have basically just been going through guides and tutorials on how to manage this (from what I'm told) much simpler program. it uses css and javascript on top of itself and this program is basically a base for a choose your own adventure game. but i finally found out that whoever made free cities was able to do it on twine(sugarcube). and so I've begun to try and make a game. Any help would be appreciated.
Strong recommendation to download Adam & Gaia from F95zone. If you read the intro and don't want to actually play the game, just download the "player" file (it's embedded in the main post) and not the many Gbs of images/videos that are able to be downloaded separately.
The main plot is post-apocalyptic, only man left, repopulate the world.
Involves lots of exploring the world (ie: dungeon crawling), many random events that happen both while out exploring but also randomly between days. You end up with "wives" and "children" (read: slave management), combat, pregnancy, and story.
Much more plot- and exploration based than Free Cities, which is WAY more focused on the slave management piece.
Both are great. Adam and Gaia might be the easier one to understand the code, the way the game is put together, etc. The author also released his Twine source code IIRC.

Find the game here: https://f95zone.com/threads/adam-and-gaia-v2-2-beornwahl.6362/

Offline Dabanisher

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:16:25 PM »
ive played the game it was interesting i might look at its code see if i an gleam something from it. maybe a mechanic or something

Offline Dabanisher

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »
was able to get character stats ready. the usual strength, agility, constitution, wisdom, and charisma. But I kinda want to go a fenoxo way and add dialogue when it concerns your characters features and such so I added those and plan on make the story dynamic according to those values. Not sure if id do your character as other races considering what id have to add if your taste is a bit furry but I would like to try at least. Currently im also trying to learn css to make it look nice as well as the images i have collected from making packs and collecting them. I always wanted to make scripts but i never could find a way learn to. anyway that progress so far...

Offline spiker1984

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 05:38:13 PM »
was able to get character stats ready. the usual strength, agility, constitution, wisdom, and charisma. But I kinda want to go a fenoxo way and add dialogue when it concerns your characters features and such so I added those and plan on make the story dynamic according to those values. Not sure if id do your character as other races considering what id have to add if your taste is a bit furry but I would like to try at least. Currently im also trying to learn css to make it look nice as well as the images i have collected from making packs and collecting them. I always wanted to make scripts but i never could find a way learn to. anyway that progress so far...
I'm excited to see what you come up with. I'm a huge believer in image-packs. If you could use them in your game you'd be way off to a headstart, especially if they're the same tags as WM or Brothel King.

Offline Dabanisher

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
gonna be honest im not seeing an easy way to do that unless i find a way to use packs in javascript. but i am trying to make it as similar to whoremaster as possible but with some story on top of it.

Offline Dabanisher

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »
if anyone has any ideas that may point to an easier way to make a text game or comprehensive guides for beginners on javascript. I would appreciate a link.

Offline spiker1984

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
if anyone has any ideas that may point to an easier way to make a text game or comprehensive guides for beginners on javascript. I would appreciate a link.
Not sure if this is helpful, since neither of these suggestions is technically Javascript, but two other slave-management games in easy-to-develop frameworks are Brothel King and Strive4Power. Both have elements of slave management. Both are made of script files, much in the way something like the Freecities Git version is made up of scripted js files.
BK is in Ren'Py. It's scripted in Python.
Strive is in Godot. It's in some proprietary but easy-to-understand language.
Both have more story than something like FreeCities or WM.
Both are coded so as to be really easy to pick apart the files and see how they work. So it might be easy to figure out how to code them.

Get BK here: https://www.henthighschool.com/brothel-king/
Get Strive here: https://strive4power.itch.io/strive-for-power