devolution

Author Topic: Rivals  (Read 3926 times)

Offline betatester

Rivals
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:32:13 AM »
When you get new rivals you have a very cool description
so just 2 ideas

- you have no description of you father murderers and I think it's a shame
- each rivals headquaters shoul be materialized on the map with 1) the name 2) the number of territory controlled 3) a description
- the possibility to raid rivals and have specific girls, objects, technology, magic and the like depending on their description

As an inspiration when I think about gangs I always think on this very old but nethertheless very good game Chaos Overlords
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Overlords
(searching for an abandonware link)
perhaps you can find some ideas there
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:46:33 AM by betatester »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Rivals
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:03:37 AM »
We're obviously thinking along the same sort of lines here.

Definite plans to give the the initial opponents the same sort of treatment. The trouble is, that's a lot of text for the startup, especially so six times over. So I thought I'd introduce a "Gather Intelligence" activity for the Goons, which would gradually reveal details about your enemies, as well as the information you need to finally defeat them.

Given that, base locations and enemy strongholds follow from intelligence, and getting some interesting loot makes sense in that context.

Oh, and I played Chaos Overloads non-stop for about a year, back in 2001 or so. It's a great game. I just don't seem to have a system that  runs it these days. Trouble with a lot of these early W95 games.

There's a D/L link on abandonia, BTW.

Offline hewhoispale

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
You might want to call it 'scout' or somesuch since they have an 'intelligence' stat. Unless you mean them to go about it in a mind flayer sort of approach.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:26:59 AM »
On the subject of Chaos overlords I would reccomend looking into a program called DOSBox.  On the subject of rivals once we deal with all the jobs we can start on that.  They are in need of a overhaul anyway.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »
On the subject of Chaos overlords I would reccomend looking into a program called DOSBox.
Got that. Doesn't help though. CO is an early pure Windows 95 game. That said, I just tried it and have been running it nicely under XP and VBox, so the compatibility problems aren't as bad as I remember.

On the subject of rivals once we deal with all the jobs we can start on that.  They are in need of a overhaul anyway.

Sounds good to me :)

Offline Command

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »
Here's an interesting idea how about have one rival which is the main character's sister or half sister.

once you defeat that rival your choice would likely have a drastic reaction to whither you are good or evil.

Not to meniton plot wise having a familiy member betraying the family would be pretty good.