Author Topic: Item refusal  (Read 5493 times)

Offline ker

Item refusal
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
I think it might be interesting if giving girls items were a bit more dynamic.  Right now it doesn't seem to be important whether or not she likes the item, just give it to her and click on equip.  You can take very rebellious girls and turn them completely tame just be spending a few thousand gold.  Makes it to easy.  It'd be better if you had a few different results depending on how bad the item the item is for the girl, her rebelliousness/happiness, whether or not she's free or a slave, and if she's in the brothel or the dungeon.

If she's in the brothel, your actions would be a bit more restrained.

If she didn't like the item she could
1.  Simply refuse.
2.  Demand a bribe in order to equip the item.
3.  Demand a higher cut or her freedom to equip the item.
4.  Request a similiar, but higher cost item available in the market.
5.  Agrees to wear the item, but she sells it at the market during her free time.
6.  Agrees to wear the item, but reports you to the police during the next raid and/or free time (only free girls)
7.  Runs away
8.  Attacks you.  If she wins, you can't control your brothel for a few days although your matron still functions.  Runs away after.

If she was in the brothel, you could force her to equip the item.  It would force a fight with the guards, but if she is restrained, the item is equipped.  But there would be a chance of both her being scarred/injured or the item breaking.  As well has a good deal of PC hate, and the chance of her reporting you to the authorities if she's free.  She might also try to remove the item once out of the dungeon.

I'd say that items that increase obediance or reducing spirit would be locked or trapped in some way, so if she tries to remove it later, she might
1. Suceed
2. Break the item
3. Scar or injure herself
4. Fail

This could also add some more utility to having gangs watch girls.  If she tries to remove or sell the item, your guards would prevent her from doing so, and report it to you.

exodia91

Re: Item refusal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
I would like a more dynamic gift system, it always miffed me how a girl with max love and -100 rebellion who's also a super slut, absolutely hates slutty clothing and nipple rings. This is something that will probably be looked into in the future. But I wouldn't make it high priority.

Offline sgb

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »
You could improve the system without any massive overhauls.  Basically something like:
-If a free girl hates the item, she gives it back to you and her love goes down/hate goes up.  Love/hate adjustments based to 'how bad is it' (ie trying to give her a slave control band makes her hate your guts, an overly skimpy dress just annoys her).
-If a slave girl hates the item, it goes unequipped like it does now and love goes down/hate goes up.  If you force it to equip anyhow, love/hate further changes.
-Tolerance for a item should be calculated (if it's not already) by current rebelliousness, obedience, love (more likely to blindly trust you), libedo (sluts don't care as much), and intellegence (dumb girls unlikely to know something is 'bad' for them).

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
...What about fear?
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
I did a bit of messing around with this around Christmas. Nothing that changed the acceptance algorithm, just something to vary the responses according to the girl's mental state.  There are a lot of factors that probably should be taken into account, and the amount of text grows quickly, the more factors you consider.

Also, and this was a surprise, the order in which you check attributes seems to affect the tone of the response. That is, if I write a decision table that checks PC Hate first, I seem to end up writing a set of responses that are primarily about how she hates the player. If I consider libido first, the responses take a different tack entirely. Of course, it doesn't have to be that way; it was just the way I found things working out. Still, I thought we could use this to advantage.

The thing to do, I think, would be to consider at most four stats, and then to randomly select the stats checked, but weighted by how strong her feelings were. So if a girl had 100 hate, you'd tend to see a lot of angry responses, but it would be possible to catch her in a good mood from time to time, for instance.

The other thing I might look at, (and this will not happen for some time yet) would be to try and work out a format for a response template. So you could design reponse matrices based on various stats, and with custom text and probably accpetance tests. It would give people a lot of control over how girls reacted, and using templates that could be shared between girls would cut down on the work involved.

But like I say, not for some time, and in  any case I want to think about it a bit more.

exodia91

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
Might be overthinking it a bit mate XD. Just have it sum up like 5 stats plus how girls think of the item with good (PClove, - rebel, etc) as positives and bad (bad item, rebel, etc) as negatives, and if the end result is positive she takes it, really positive she really likes, etc. BUT give each item one sort of customizable variable that modders could have point at any stat, and give em like 3 slots for responses that override regular ones if the selected stat is in those ranges. Simpler and easier to implement for you, I think. If not, ignore me.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
give each item one sort of customizable variable that modders could have point at any stat, and give em like 3 slots for responses that override regular ones if the selected stat is in those ranges.

Yes yes a million times yes. That would be so yes. I had a hell of a time balancing some items that would benefit immensely from such a mechanism. Associating an exception to the "how bad is it" stat with even a single stat, skill or trait would be a huge improvement. Like with BDSM or bestiality stuff that most girls would find repulsive/gross but would be accepted by girls who like that or have high skill in it.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 05:18:27 AM »
While we're on the subject of items. How about adding the ability to give girls more than one item at once?
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »
Well, you can multiple select and transfer more than item if they are of different types.

If you want to transfer multiple items of the same type (say 5 healing potions) then I'd be keen, but I can't think of an interface that would work with everything else, and which wouldn't be more of a pain than just spamming the arrow button.

Suggestions welcome, obviously.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
Maybe have a "Give multiple" button.  Click that, and it brings up a text box, slider bar, spinner arrows, or whatever, to allow the player to select how many of the item he wants to transfer.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
mmm... but then it needs to work with the listbox as well. And I need to know which list entry is to to affected. Or assume they all are. Or disable the give multiple button for multiple selections. None of which seems very satisfactory.

Maybe when I get around to the table widget that might work.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »
If you have multiple items selected, you set the maximum allowable value for the transfer to the quantity of whichever item you have the least of.

As an example, if I select 3 items:
  • Chocolates (50)
  • Flowers (30)
  • Energy Drink (5)
The "Give multiple" option would allow me to give at most 5 of each.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Archfiend

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
If she didn't like the item she could
1.  Simply refuse.
2.  Demand a bribe in order to equip the item.
3.  Demand a higher cut or her freedom to equip the item.
4.  Request a similiar, but higher cost item available in the market.
5.  Agrees to wear the item, but she sells it at the market during her free time.
6.  Agrees to wear the item, but reports you to the police during the next raid and/or free time (only free girls)
7.  Runs away
8.  Attacks you.  If she wins, you can't control your brothel for a few days although your matron still functions.  Runs away after.

If she was in the brothel, you could force her to equip the item.  It would force a fight with the guards, but if she is restrained, the item is equipped.  But there would be a chance of both her being scarred/injured or the item breaking.  As well has a good deal of PC hate, and the chance of her reporting you to the authorities if she's free.  She might also try to remove the item once out of the dungeon.

I'd say that items that increase obediance or reducing spirit would be locked or trapped in some way, so if she tries to remove it later, she might
1. Suceed
2. Break the item
3. Scar or injure herself
4. Fail

I like this train of thought - maybe not all of the potential results, but the concept is cool.