devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3815140 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers/Game Designers needed!
« Reply #735 on: June 14, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
Small update:

I've spent almost two and a half days coding and managed to do this:

- Refactoring jobs into classes.
This is a semi-useless programming thing that might never pay off but took almost 1.5 days to fix all bugs that came with it.

- Next Day code has been improved.
Lots of things fixed, bugs removed, code cleaned up.

- Next Day screen has been improved to facilitate testing, filters installed, all stats changes shown on separate windows.

=============
Next, I want to further improve jobs, load and manage actual costumer instances instead of generating random once and match costumers to girls (appropriate traits). That should keep me busy for the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:52:29 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #736 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »
I would love to take a look at the new jobs, but you have not commited the new code to the sf repository yet. Why not?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: June 15, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
I would love to take a look at the new jobs, but you have not commited the new code to the sf repository yet. Why not?

I don't have git on my laptop so I couldn't commit/push. Dropbox version was updated yesterday and I'll push in a couple of hours from my PC.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #738 on: June 15, 2013, 05:04:21 AM »
Ah, I understand now. Looking forward to the new code :-)

UPDATE:
Congratulations on our new subforum! Great job Xela (assuming you did that)!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:16:51 AM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #739 on: June 16, 2013, 06:55:05 AM »
Ah, I understand now. Looking forward to the new code :-)

UPDATE:
Congratulations on our new subforum! Great job Xela (assuming you did that)!

Thanks, Dagoth created the subsection, I did relocating.

// Code has been uploaded to both dropbox and sf. I am planning to improve jobs today, many things, especially in the strip relay that makes no sense as well as generating costumers list and work with that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:23:11 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #740 on: June 18, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »
Updated Sf:
- new items added (Dark's designs)
- costumers are not randomly created 'on the fly' anymore, a list is generated and we work with individual customers from that list now.
- traits now have meaning for whore job, if girl has a trait that client wants = extra income.
- relay code from strip job to whore/bar/club jobs had been reworked to make more sense and be more scalable.
- nickname/fullname code has been written to default to name if not specified.
- sucky brothel market fixed (broken due to Matt's rescaling earlier)
- some other minor bug/text fixes
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #741 on: June 20, 2013, 03:33:01 AM »
@Xela
Great to see things progressing quickly! :-)

By the way, as far as I know it is good practice to submit only changes that are logically releated in the same commit. So, basically every line in your post could have been its own commit. If we would follow that principle, we can use git to help fixing problems. For example, if we decide in a week or two that the changes to customer creation went in the wrong direction, we could revert those changes easily if they were their own commit.
We don't have to change anything now, but I think it would be a good idea to add only logically related changes to the same commit.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #742 on: June 20, 2013, 05:58:27 AM »
Great to see things progressing quickly! :-)

By the way, as far as I know it is good practice to submit only changes that are logically releated in the same commit. So, basically every line in your post could have been its own commit. If we would follow that principle, we can use git to help fixing problems. For example, if we decide in a week or two that the changes to customer creation went in the wrong direction, we could revert those changes easily if they were their own commit.
We don't have to change anything now, but I think it would be a good idea to add only logically related changes to the same commit.

I am doing that whenever convenient, however I've written most of the fixes/small add-ons while I was working on expanding job code and I wouldn't commit code while part of the game was in a broken state.
Like what we're doing?

Offline NEXEON

« Reply #743 on: June 20, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
where is the download link is available of current version of  game?  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #744 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »
where is the download link is available of current version of  game?  :)

Direct download link for a slightly outdated version is here:

http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=1890.0

Development version is here:

http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=1831.0

But neither is really playable due to the lack of content/balancing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #745 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:29 AM »
I've written most of the fixes/small add-ons while I was working on expanding job code and I wouldn't commit code while part of the game was in a broken state.
I agree that we should not commit broken code to the master branch, but I do think that it is okay to commit changes to development branches, even if those changes break something at that revision. That is the reason why I always commit to some development branch until those changes are ready for the master branch.

A useful tool if you want to get a small fix into master while you've been working on something else is the 'stash' command.
Basically, all you need to do is open a git console for the pytfall directory and enter "git stash". This will store all the changes you made to your working copy since the last commit and then revert your working copy back to the state of the last commit. Now, implement your fix, commit it, go back to the git console and enter "git stash apply". This will restore the changes to your working copy you saved with "git stash". A more detailed explanation can be found here: http://gitready.com/beginner/2009/01/10/stashing-your-changes.html

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #746 on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:36 AM »
I agree that we should not commit broken code to the master branch, but I do think that it is okay to commit changes to development branches, even if those changes break something at that revision. That is the reason why I always commit to some development branch until those changes are ready for the master branch.

A useful tool if you want to get a small fix into master while you've been working on something else is the 'stash' command.
Basically, all you need to do is open a git console for the pytfall directory and enter "git stash". This will store all the changes you made to your working copy since the last commit and then revert your working copy back to the state of the last commit. Now, implement your fix, commit it, go back to the git console and enter "git stash apply". This will restore the changes to your working copy you saved with "git stash". A more detailed explanation can be found here: http://gitready.com/beginner/2009/01/10/stashing-your-changes.html

LoL

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #747 on: June 20, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
Any ideas on how do we want leveling system to work? Like how many exp points/level? Do girls get 'power ups' every 5 - 10 levels, developing traits or higher stat caps?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:30:24 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #748 on: June 20, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
Classic RPG leveling (think Dungeons&Dragons) works like this:

1. 1000 XP total (0 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
2. 3000 XP total (1000 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
3. 6000 XP total (2000 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
4. 10000 XP total (3000 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
and so on

To reach the next level, you have to gain as many XP as you needed for the previous level plus 1000 more. That means gaining levels gets harder over time, but it gets harder rather slowly. I think it's a nice system.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:10:56 PM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #749 on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »
Classic RPG leveling (think Dungeons&Dragons) works like this:

1. 1000 XP total (0 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
2. 3000 XP total (1000 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
3. 6000 XP total (2000 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
4. 10000 XP total (3000 + 1000 gained XP needed for level up)
and so on

To reach the next level, you have to gain as many XP as you needed for the previous level plus 1000 more. That means gaining levels gets harder over time, but it gets harder rather slowly. I think it's a nice system.

Awesome! I like it :)
Like what we're doing?