Author Topic: Help  (Read 4131 times)

Offline momoit67

Help
« on: December 10, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
First off I need to say that I love this game!

Anyway I need help getting the game to run.  I used to have a windows machine so everything was fine and dandy but it sorta imploded so I needed to get a new computer.  This new one happens to be a Mac and I have no idea how to get this game working on it.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Mak

• Donator
  • PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any helpful advice, I just found this too amusing to pass up.

There's a place for all the planet's creatures, it's next to the mashed potatoes.

Offline momoit67

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
As much as I enjoy CAD's comics, it doesn't resolve the issue...

thanks for trying to add humor to an otherwise bad situation though, that's always nice

Offline GonDra

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »
The problem is trying to get a .net exe to run on a mac.

As I know next to nothing about macs i sadly can't help you much.
You could try using wine to run the game.

There was a Linux branch some time ago so the basics to make it run on mac should be there but you would need to compile and/or change things in the source probably.

Offline momoit67

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
I haven't been having any luck with wine so I'd have to try and look at the code to see if I can figure anything out, which I probably won't get around to for a while...

Offline Mak

• Donator
  • PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
I tried to help find an answer since my other post was less than helpful.

I don't really know anything about macs either so hopefully someone can be of more help than I'm about to be.

Since this is compiled with VC++ it will only open with windows. It is open source though, so it may be possible to compile it with another similar mac friendly program. There's some info with links here.

There's also Xcode which may work, which if I recall correctly is free if you have OS X; and may have even come with your mac. Info here.

The only other solution I could find was a more general solution (and possibly very costly,) for running windows software on a mac. It's to use the mac boot camp utility to install and run windows xp. If your old pc had xp and you still have the disc, this may be a good free solution which will allow you to run any of your old windows only stuff. I think there's also some sort of virtual environment that would allow you to easily switch between both OS'.

Good Luck.
There's a place for all the planet's creatures, it's next to the mashed potatoes.