Author Topic: Top 3 Animes  (Read 31837 times)

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
Re: Top 3 Animes
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »
FLCL, Cowboy Bebop and that's probably it. Been meaning to watch Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi for a while now, totally forgot about it.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
MSAA pokes serious fun at the entertainment industry in general. Usually taking cliches to their extreme as a joke,  it's genuinely funny. I recomend either the Dub or the sub. (whichever you find.) since their both equally funny. Though the "Hey, fucking cowboy and fucking cowgirl, buy a fucking hot dog!" speech is funnier in the dub.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline Thought Crime

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
Seriously?! No one's mentioned Ninja Scroll?? No love for Jubei.

1. Ninja Scroll. (This was the anime that got me into anime)
2. Serial Experiments Lain. (Really liked the first three DVD's. But was disappointed in the last DVD and ending.)
3.  I have about a ten way tie for third place. But i'll give an honorable mention to Escaflowne (Subbed only. The Dubbed makes me want to claw my face off). The movie is probably better than the series. But i liked both.

The thing that attracts me the most to anime. Is when the creators pull factual material into the stories. I love the attention to detail. A good example is with Samurai Champloo. The creators studied up on Musashi Miyamoto and Yagyu Munenori. Both were legendary swordsman.
Mugen is modeled after Musashi. If you watch closely to the fight scenes, Mugen always holds his sword with one hand and he always attacks first. This is the fighting style Musashi Miyamoto is most famous for.
Gin is modeled after Yagyu Munenori. Gin never attacks first. He always waits for his opponent to attack him. (The one exception to this, may be in Gin's last fight scene, don't remember off hand). Waiting for your opponent is called the 'perfect defense' made famous by Yagyu Munenori.

And that!!... is my pretentious history lesson for the day! ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:43:18 PM by Thought Crime »
~*Build a man a fire, and he stays warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he stays warm for the rest of his life.*~
       -T. Prachett

Offline Starry

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
I'd think I'd have to have watched Ninja Scroll to have mentioned it.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »
Ninja scroll is one of the first animes to really spark American interest in the 90s. That along with Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Ninja Scroll did terribly in Japan, but it blew up in America. It seems the Japanese preferred (Perhaps they still do) the bright colors, happiness, friendship conquers all stuff instead of the dark gritty more serious stuff that Americans were more interested in. (Hellsing didn't do super well either, but became a huge hit in America)

So with that said, Ninja scroll was one of the first animes I actually saw, and again, Akira and Ghost in the Shell were probably the first three I've seen.  They're all really good, but I wouldn't call them my top favorites... though Akira and Ghost in the Shell definitely seem to have their cult followings.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
You can count me a card carrying member of the Akira GitS Cult.  :D

And I think Ninja Scroll did so well because it filled a void that was left behind by Fist of the North Star. It was a violently over the top animated movie. And there was a market for that. After all,  there was a certain novelty to "Violent Cartoons" back in the early 90's. Which was coming off the era of GI Joe and 5 minute long gun battles where nobody ever hit anything with a gun ever. I think the only character to ever be shot and killed(later put into a coma) was duke... and he was shot by a god damn snake.

So yeah. The scene in the beginning of Akira, where the revolutionary is gunned down by like 15 gunmen, seemed to almost poke fun at western animation. (See! When we have 15 guys shoot at someone they hit their target.) Conversely, I watched Akira in Highschool during 2 separate occasions. Both times, there was riotous applause for that scene. Not so much because a nameless schlub was gunned down. But because a ton of bullets just flew and didn't hit air. (Wow, a cartoon character just got shot to shit!) That sorta thing isn't as amazing these days. (if anything, it may turn a few viewers off) but back then, it was like finally taking the kid gloves off .

And the top sellers then where series like Violence Jack, M.D. Geist, Genocyber, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, and Akira. Which, with the exception of Akira and maybe Genocyber, isn't a list of stellar movies and series. Hell FotNS is probably MST3k worthy on it's own. So Utterly bad it's hilariously good. But that doesn't make these series any less important to NA fandom. These did something that Speed Racer, Gatchman, Kimba, Astro Boy, Voltron and Even Macross couldn't do. It made North America take notice of Anime.

And I'd even venture a guess that people wouldn't have even bothered to fansub  some of the more popular shows coming out of Japan these days, if it wasn't for these series. They created demand for a product that western companies where having a hard time fulfilling. For every animeigo (Bringers of bubblegum crisis and Ah! My Goddess) and Viz (Ranma 1/2) there was a Streamline (Everything after Fist and Akira should have been called Shit Release #X) and USRenditions (You don't know what a bad dub is till you watch the USR Macross 2 dub).

Someone had to fill the void shitty translations and crappy dubbing left. And Fansubbers filled that void. And even though there where fansubbers before that. There just weren't many of them. Anime fandom was more akin to fans of Spanish Novella's today. Just a type of show in a different language that you really didn't watch unless you understood the language. Maybe you had a friend that got you into it when they subtitled it for you. But your friend definitely didn't have a comprehensive list of subtitled work. So fansubbers filled the void and the internet became their medium of choice. (why the hell wouldn't it be?)

TL:DR
Uber violent anime created a market and shitty localization boosted fansubbing to fill that market. So thank Ninja Scroll and U.S.Renditions for the fact that you saw any of these shows in our lists.  :D
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline coldheartzero

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
Cowboy Bebop
Robotech
Tokyo Godfathers

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
ninja scroll i will thank because it was good heck my anime club in high school watched it a few times
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 12:49:43 AM »
ninja scroll i will thank because it was good heck my anime club in high school watched it a few times

They let you watch that in high school? A girl gets raped in it... AND another girl is fucked. You have a very lenient school.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:19 AM »
 And I think Ninja Scroll did so well because it filled a void that was left behind by Fist of the North Star. It was a violently over the top animated movie. And there was a market for that. After all,  there was a certain novelty to "Violent Cartoons" back in the early 90's. Which was coming off the era of GI Joe and 5 minute long gun battles where nobody ever hit anything with a gun ever. I think the only character to ever be shot and killed(later put into a coma) was duke... and he was shot by a god damn snake. 

:D

Was Fist of the north star released in the US around that time? Kinda suprising... so what did we all watch in the early 70's and late 80's? I know the guy who voiced Speed Racer brought a lot of japanese animation that did really well in the US. Speed Racer and Astroboy come to mind. I guess Speed Racer was a big one... Gatchaman. Hard to compete with He Man and Thunder Cats right? lololol
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 01:21:02 AM »
it was an edited version of it you know the kind the you would see on animonday a few years ago
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline Starry

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 02:17:51 AM »
ugh Hellsing sucked.  I really don't get vampire lovers

Offline RyRain

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »
See, I like monster story's in general. Vampires are just one sub-genra, and I like stuff like Hellsing, the actual novel of Dracula, Ann Rice's stuff, etc. but I really hate the "glitter vampires" from stuff like Twilight.

Offline Hentai_Heitai

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 04:20:31 AM »
1. Seto no Hanayome
2. Sakigake Otokojuku
3. Excel Saga

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 04:27:55 AM »
About the Rurouni Kenshin OVA, though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG6kfOMp4yg#t=02m44s