devolution

Author Topic: <-- Archived --> (Items Concept)  (Read 76290 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Items Concept
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Shops and clerks for them are done for now. We have cafe, witch hut, workshop and general shop (let's use these names for location field as well). I expect some kind of hangout or black market for drugs and maybe laboratory or another scientific-looking place for more advanced items like guns in the future.
The next are items hunting locations.

Besides, I think that an addict to drugs loly that had sex with the devil is overkill even in hentai game, so I've found a more adult witch.

Also we might need another type of items in the future, quest items. I propose that they cannot be equipped or used, but still could give bonuses or penalties to the owner (if were created with bonuses or penalties), and they cannot be sold, thrown out, given to someone, etc. except for quest cases.

Oki, I am planning to put wrap up some logic and start on locations tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
Forest backgrounds are done. I divided them into folders: battle for BE, entrance for entering new areas, general view if we'll need forest pics for some global map or something, stage for general forest pics during exploration, ruins for ruins with chests and powerful mobs you can randomly find during exploration.

Maybe in the future you could go into ruins and the game will generate a small random dungeon, as we discussed it before. If you prefer to leave it until 1.0, for now several options related to research of the ruins should be sufficient, like go inside, explore the surrounding area, throw a stone inside, etc.

I propose 3 areas for now: forest, elven forest, dark/evil/cursed/whatever forest, going by the layers, like in that old huntsman game. MC obliviously could hunt for monster girls in elven part; besides, we could create a separate fame system here: if you want to go to dark part to hunt for top items, you need good relations with inhabitants of elven part, so you can't attack and capture anything that moves even if you have uber party, you should complete some quests for them, etc.

I think about two more locations, something like a maze of canyons leading to the underground maze and ruins of an ancient or simply prewar city.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
Forest backgrounds are done. I divided them into folders: battle for BE, entrance for entering new areas, general view if we'll need forest pics for some global map or something, stage for general forest pics during exploration, ruins for ruins with chests and powerful mobs you can randomly find during exploration.

Maybe in the future you could go into ruins and the game will generate a small random dungeon, as we discussed it before. If you prefer to leave it until 1.0, for now several options related to research of the ruins should be sufficient, like go inside, explore the surrounding area, throw a stone inside, etc.

I propose 3 areas for now: forest, elven forest, dark/evil/cursed/whatever forest, going by the layers, like in that old huntsman game. MC obliviously could hunt for monster girls in elven part; besides, we could create a separate fame system here: if you want to go to dark part to hunt for top items, you need good relations with inhabitants of elven part, so you can't attack and capture anything that moves even if you have uber party, you should complete some quests for them, etc.

I think about two more locations, something like a maze of canyons leading to the underground maze and ruins of an ancient or simply prewar city.

Great, I am working on improving ItemShop class right now so we can inherit from it and create more shops (real shops). I will prolly have to improve it many times in the future but I am almost done with that now. Soon I will start with GUI.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »
Shops in item's location field:
            GeneralStore:
Code: [Select]
'General Store' Only temporary: 'Item Shop'
            Cafe:
'Cafe'            WorkShop:
'Work Shop'            WitchesHut:
'Witches Hut'
Right now it is impossible to buy items for girls because all items go to MC and there is no transfer system. I try to write it tomorrow.

Also NPCs in shops don't even have names yet (we'll add content later).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »
I believe if quest makers will need permanent owners for quests instead of random girls as clerks, they might as well coming up with names, like Marie for witch hut from Ncog.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
I believe if quest makers will need permanent owners for quests instead of random girls as clerks, they might as well coming up with names, like Marie for witch hut from Ncog.

We'll see... We can make it work either way. Cross that bridge when we come to it :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
Had an idea for game opening, player starts off as a orphan, remembering only what his mother (before she died from some illness when he was 5). She worked as a prostitute in a brothel in town of Crossgate and got pregnant by the owner of the large chain of brothels there. After he was killed by local ganglord, she fled to PyTFall with her child. Than player chooses from a number of lifepaths deciding on class/starting stats. Wishing to follow in father footsteps, you've been trying to collect some gold to start off a business of your own but never managed to do that. After class/events are chosen, you meet a masked stranger giving you a strange artifact without any explanations. You then have to go to one of the shops we've created, figure out that it's worth quite a bit of money and sell it to get the cash in order to start your first business. Later in the game you'd get a quest to retrieve the artifact and get access to catacombs (instant travel instead of wasting AP).

Would make a nice connection...
Well, that's a nice cameo if by masked stranger we mean MC's brother from Crossgate, but I'm not sure about catacombs part. In WM they, being endless and probably multidimensional, played the role of a universal source of items and girls. Do we need them the same way if we also will have several more locations? Or do we need other locations if we'll have all-purpose catacombs? I don't think so.

They have to be nerfed a lot. For example, they lost their original properties, and while you can meet some mobs or monster girls there, you can't find everything and everyone as before.
Instead they could be used for immediate travel to remote locations without wasting AP.

Besides, the only known open entrance/exit located in Crossgate. I guess MC should find a closed door for a start, and the artifact serves as a key.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
I have sorted items by shops. Those which still have Item Shop as location should not be for sale at all, I'll change it when we'll have names for forest locations.
Also due to change the concept of traits we have lost several items, I'll create several new ones in the near future.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
I have sorted items by shops. Those which still have Item Shop as location should not be for sale at all, I'll change it when we'll have names for forest locations.
Also due to change the concept of traits we have lost several items, I'll create several new ones in the near future.

Awesome! Like I've said, I will not have a lot of time this week but I'll try to write/fix a bit code every day. I made sure that male filter appears when the item screen is first called, not when item is chosen. Also I randomly found and removed out of range error when player tries to equip an item that is chosen but does no longer exist in the inventory (equipped already) (hero).

We can come up with forest names before I code in the forest btw: like "Forest_1", "Forest_2" and so on.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
Yeah, but I have to know how many layers the forest will have. The best items should be the furthest.
How about 3?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
Yeah, but I have to know how many layers the forest will have. The best items should be the furthest.
How about 3?

I think we'll have more than that eventually... maybe a compromise, simply tag all relevant items as "Forest" and have script decide what's what based on other factors (such as price/rarity and so on)???
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »
I tried to contact GonDra via pm a couple weeks ago to check items descriptions and still don't get an answer, despite the fact that he was on the forum several times already.
I'm afraid we need a new editor.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 04:11:25 AM »
I tried to contact GonDra via pm a couple weeks ago to check items descriptions and still don't get an answer, despite the fact that he was on the forum several times already.

We can do a recruitment drive or something like that but I wanted to do that past Alpha release.
Like what we're doing?

Offline GonDra

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »

Sorry I didn't check my messages for the last few weeks, I am just skimming through the Forum recently, and quite a bit less frequent than usual.
Was busy with some of my own projects and studying, will look through items and traits later today or tomorrow.

I really need to set up a reliable way to reach me...

Offline GonDra

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
Ok this took a lot longer than I expected but I finished going over the items - I dropped the changed file into my Dropbox folder with a txt file accompanying it with some comments.