devolution

Author Topic: getting unstuck  (Read 36584 times)

Offline necno

• Core Developer
Re: getting unstuck
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
Its going to be interesting to see what others can do.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline altereggo

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll give a shot at cleaning up most of those piddly warnings in my next commit. It is indeed a mild nuisance seeing them all scroll by when you compile.
The worst part is thinking "fuck, I'm almost certain some of those actually matter... But do I really care enough to go through 400 of them to find out for sure?"
There should be an option in Visual Express that says "stop reporting irrelevant bullshit and tell me what the real problems are..."

Offline GonDra

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Well a lot of the ISO errors seem to be just a naming issue, so a search and replace could probably fix a lot of those, I didn't try though.
The stuff with the possible loss of data through the variable stuff could be pretty hefty though - and i don't know nearly enough of C++ or the source code of WM to be of any use (in any of those two things, i only did some basic coding in C# and Pascal).

Well at least this project has motivated myself to to get back at coding.
Excuse me now, I am going to start some C++ Tutorials now.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »
Well, if you know C#, c++ should not be too much of a jump since we have not used any custom templates yet.

Offline Wispowill

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:50 AM »
I glanced briefly at the code for this, but soon realized that I am totally lost where I'm supposed to put the SDL.h files referenced so that the compiler finds them. I tried putting in the main directory with the .cpp files, but the compiler still doesn't see them. And do I need more than JUST the .h files? I have the full source packages for everything mentioned in the dependency text file. I had tried putting the .c files in with the .cpp, but the compiler still thinks the SDLstuff.h is missing. Most of the help files for Visual C++ Express 2008 that were supposed to touch on this subject resulted in '404 page not found' errors on Microsoft's site.

And as a sidenote, is the SDL package just being used for resizing the pictures using the rotozoom? Or are there other uses for it in the main program?

I don't want to be a bother here if it's going to take too much time to explain.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 06:05:18 AM »
You don't add SDL to game source, if that were the case it would be already bundled with it. You need to tell Visual C++ where to find it. Try this

http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/msvsnet0508e/index.php

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »
And as a sidenote, is the SDL package just being used for resizing the pictures using the rotozoom? Or are there other uses for it in the main program?
It's used for more than that. I think pretty much all of the display code uses SDL.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
Here is what SDL is used for: handleing the mouse events, the keyboard events, and the graphics.  SDL image is needed to load jpegs and pngs. And SDL gfx is for rotozoom.

Offline Gogon78

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
You put the SDL stuff and other libs into convenient folders and then you must config in your VC preferences the path to them so it will find the files at compile and build time. So that goes for both the .h files and the .lib too.

Offline xorgroth

• Not active, RIP WM
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
Well, I'm stuck after going through a bunch of missing SDL libs and I believe this is the final thing holding me back from building successfully. Unable to figure out why it is failing, though might be hitting me in the face and I am not realizing it. Also using VC 2008 Pro...

Code: [Select]
1>------ Build started: Project: Whore Master, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Embedding manifest...
1>The system cannot find the path specified.
1>Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 1 returned from 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'.
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\wm\BrothelMaster\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Whore Master - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

And the Buildlog.htm as well.

Code: [Select]
Build started: Project: Whore Master, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Command Lines
Creating temporary file "c:\wm\BrothelMaster\Debug\RSP00001425082328.rsp" with contents
[
/outputresource:"..\Debug\Whore Master.exe;#1" /manifest

".\Debug\Whore Master.exe.intermediate.manifest"
]
Creating command line "mt.exe @c:\wm\BrothelMaster\Debug\RSP00001425082328.rsp /nologo"
Creating temporary file "c:\wm\BrothelMaster\Debug\BAT00001525082328.bat" with contents
[
@echo Manifest resource last updated at %TIME% on %DATE% > .\Debug\mt.dep
]
Creating command line "c:\wm\BrothelMaster\Debug\BAT00001525082328.bat"

Output Window
Embedding manifest...
The system cannot find the path specified.
Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 1 returned from 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'.

Results
Build log was saved at "file://c:\wm\BrothelMaster\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
Whore Master - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Thanks,
Xorg

edit: Actually moved the mt.dep from another Debug folder and it went through just fine but looks like if I try to build as a release it doesn't create it at all or see a moved file.

**edit: Removed manifest embedding and now its finally happy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:06:32 AM by xorgroth »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
Well done. Sorry not to be much help, but I don't know much about visual studio at all.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »
Hey, not sure if this would be the right topic for this, but been having trouble getting the game to compile from source.  Downloaded the latest trunk from SVN.

When I go to compile (using visual studio 2010) I get this error:

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(103,5): error MSB3073: The command ""SubWCRev.exe" "C:\Users\****\Desktop\trunk-r643\trunk\BrothelMaster\." "C:\Users\****\Desktop\trunk-r643\trunk\BrothelMaster\Revision.wcrev" "C:\Users\****\Desktop\trunk-r643\trunk\BrothelMaster\Revision.h" -f
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(103,5): error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 10.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline dqhx

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 06:48:17 AM »
The project expects you to compile straight from the checked out version from the SVN (the one with all the .svn folders, etc..). It calls an external exe file ("SubWCRev.exe") during the build process to add the SVN build number to the source files.

Personally i don't like working directly on the SVN version and you can avoid that but in that case you need to disable the pre-build step in the project options (set Use in Build to No), and then copy "Revision.wcrev" to "Revision.h" manually and edit it so svn_revision is set to whatever version you'd like to be displayed ("1.30.643" for example).

Offline ShikinamiFan91

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Hey, not sure if this would be the right topic for this, but been having trouble getting the game to compile from source.  Downloaded the latest trunk from SVN.

When I go to compile (using visual studio 2010) I get this error:

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(103,5): error MSB3073: The command ""SubWCRev.exe" "C:\Users\****\Desktop\trunk-r643\trunk\BrothelMaster\." "C:\Users\****\Desktop\trunk-r643\trunk\BrothelMaster\Revision.wcrev" "C:\Users\****\Desktop\trunk-r643\trunk\BrothelMaster\Revision.h" -f
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(103,5): error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 10.

Any help is appreciated.
This thread was a developer thread for working through some of their problems as they were working on developing the game.  Trouble shooting should go here: http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?board=4.0

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
*pops head in* Hi guys, been awhile :P
I might suggest, as far as development interfaces go, Dev C++

http://bloodshed.net/
It's free, and supports multiple compilers, and it's not a half bad little program.  It includes such features as error checking, importing of Visual Studio project files, and compiler selection.

*runs off before anybody notices he's gone*