Game Discussion > General Discussion & Download

Micromanagement & Big Question

<< < (2/3) > >>

necno:
Ah, moo 3. Always preferred moo 2 for the stated reasons but still played it a lot. And for some reason i feel like playing nexus now... dam that game is awesome.
Yes, providing the tools for micromanagement is my job. And i have planed a few updates to certain screens that are lacking. Feedback on how many children there are and how old they are etc is a good thing that is much needed. 
As for the next update, its coming along nicely, a lot more than just the building changes is being implemented and it may almost feel like an entirely different game (but not in a bad way... i hope).

letmein:
Great to hear.

zodiac44:
MOO2 was a great game marred by a mistake that could have been fixed if the playtesters had been ambitious enough in their quest to find game-breaking combos.  You could build completely invincible ships in the game which guarantee that you win every fight without a single casualty, once you reach a certain tech level.

The original MOO was a better game from a replay standpoint.  I've been playing for 18 years, and I'm not about to stop any time soon.  >;o)

Tweaker69:

--- Quote from: DocClox on November 01, 2009, 01:04:58 PM ---What I think about micromanagement: I don't think people mind the micromanagement at all. That is, after all, the fun part of any sim. What I think people don't like is not being given the tools to conduct that micromanagement efficiently. And when they don't have those tools, that's when the cry goes up: "there's too much bloody micromanagement in this game".
--- End quote ---
Well, we could be talking about the same thing when you say it like that. I'm talking about having "the tools" to tell the matron what to look for and what she should do with a girl when it happens. Some folks will want nothing to do with any AI help, so can choose to remain in control of the smallest detail. At the least having easily seen "URGENT NOTICES" on the turn summary screen without having to sort through all the individual character screens or summary buttons would be a big help.

--- Quote ---Letting the game AI make the choices for you, incidentally, doesn't help at all. They made that mistake with Master Of Orion 3. The game was insanely complicated, but had exceptionally good management AI.  The trouble was that you ended up A) not really understanding what was going on, and B) not needing to do anything anyway, since the game was quite capable of playing itself. This left most people feeling "why bother?". Which was a shame, given how awesome a game MOO2 was in its time.
--- End quote ---
I think MOO3's AI being "too good" was not at all the problem, but you're entitled to your opinion. It was, in my opinion, always pulling the player into fiddling with numbers and charts, and away from the gameworld, rather than helping to immerse them. It felt more like accounting homework than a science fiction game ^_^

Its fun to micromanage 1-10 worlds, and not so much the further you move toward 15, 20,30... 50 worlds. Its currently the same with the girls in WhoreMaster, just as it was with SimBrothel.

This is just my opinion. I'm not speaking for the entire world, here. I just would like the choice to feel less like I'mactually "the bitch" working for these Ho's... lol. They work for me dammit, and I just gotta come in and threaten em with a pimpslap if they ain't gotz my money, knowutahmsayn? ;D

I enjoy being the nanny sometimes, but there are also times when I think it would be nice to simply take care of my favorites, without being too worried of the rest getting depressed, exhausted, dying, or worst of all... slacking off!

Necno: "Feedback on how many children there are and how old they are etc is a good thing that is much needed."

Sounds good to me. Was sort of hoping for some direct feedback from you on my feedback, but I promise there'll be no hurt feelings over here ^_^ Hope all is well, and keep up the great work.

Tweaker69

DocClox:

--- Quote from: Tweaker69 on November 01, 2009, 11:36:29 PM ---Well, we could be talking about the same thing when you say it like that.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, yeah. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just kind of thinking out loud.

--- Quote from: Tweaker69 on November 01, 2009, 11:36:29 PM ---I think MOO3's AI being "too good" was not at all the problem, but you're entitled to your opinion. It was, in my opinion, always pulling the player into fiddling with numbers and charts, and away from the gameworld, rather than helping to immerse them. It felt more like accounting homework than a science fiction game ^_^

--- End quote ---

You clearly stuck with it longer than I did. I still think that the competence of the AI was a major demotivating factor for many people. The AI itself isn't a problem: The governors on Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri got it about right, I think. Good enough that things won't go to hell in a handcart the minute you turn your back, but not so good that you can ignore them completely.

--- Quote from: Tweaker69 on November 01, 2009, 11:36:29 PM ---Its fun to micromanage 1-10 worlds, and not so much the further you move toward 15, 20,30... 50 worlds. Its currently the same with the girls in WhoreMaster, just as it was with SimBrothel.

--- End quote ---

Well, to be fair, the current release isn't really representative of WM. I can generally fill all six brothels and still not feel like I'm spending too much time looking after the livestock

@zodiac44: I thought they largely sorted that out when they released a patch that nerfed plasma cannon among other things. Not that I ever really played the first one. (Although I'm still playing Master of Magic, so I know the feeling).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version