Author Topic: Smooth Fonts  (Read 17394 times)

exodia91

Re: Smooth Fonts
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »
I'm assuming that eventually there will indeed be a config screen in game.  That said, I'd still like to see all the features enabled by default as most people won't be bothered to see if the game can be customized in any way.
Indeed, because most people honestly don't care about slightly jagged text. Its a niche issue, so if it has even the slightest chance of ruining someones experience with the game, it should start as off. Also, this is a hentai game, if the game has an in-game config, EVERYBODY looks at it to see if they can enable more perverted stuff.

Offline Graen

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 04:02:13 PM »
Indeed, because most people honestly don't care about slightly jagged text. Its a niche issue, so if it has even the slightest chance of ruining someones experience with the game, it should start as off.
Whether they care or not, the user's first experience with the game should be the best presentation possible.  Even the littlest things can convey the care that went into crafting their experience.  Why you wouldn't want to lead with your best foot forward, is beyond me.

Also, this is a hentai game, if the game has an in-game config, EVERYBODY looks at it to see if they can enable more perverted stuff.
I'm failing to see your point here.  The game is built upon making customization easy for the players.  If the devs didn't want people to change their game, they wouldn't be going to such great lengths to include an item & girl editor, nor constantly changing their code to allow expandability and ease of use.  Including an in-game config screen to flip a few tags and modify how certain features act is not something alien.  An "Options Screen" is a time-honored staple of PC gaming.  ;D

exodia91

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 01:38:50 AM »
... you completely missed my point. You previous argument was people wouldn't be bothered to look at configuration options... I said they would because its a hentai game. And slightly jagged text (which I've never once noticed, noted, or otherwise observed) isn't altering anyone's opinion of this game, it is a gameplay oriented game, not a graphics game Crysis. Having a game run slowly, or not at all because anti-aliasing is on, however, is more likely to affect "the user's first experience"

Offline 11Z11

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 01:57:51 AM »
Well I'm more concerned with the rest of the gui(as i've made known before) but i'd go with leaving it on by default

reason? a good number people are lazy  and won't bother reading the manual let alone want to config anything.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 02:31:25 AM »
Let's test the edge cases then.  Whosoever has the shittiest computer available that will actually run the game should test with AA fonts enabled and see what happens.  If there is a significant, noticeable, experience-altering performance degradation, then maybe we could consider disabling it by default, but even then I'd rather leave it enabled and have a FAQ that addresses what to do if performance sucks.

I used to have a PII-133 machine that ran XP with Cleartype with no problems, so I highly doubt there will be even a single user who experiences a problem with AA fonts.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline 11Z11

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
Oops, that fact escaped me(was sleepy)....I mean how old and shitty a computer you must have for aa fonts to impact performance....I'm changing my opinion to off by default as I doubt anyone on this board has a computer that weak.

exodia91

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Until about a year ago I was using a 10 year old 32 MB RAM machine. Think of the poor people you elitist bastards.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »
The only system requirement I think this game has you need at least 128 megabytes of ram, but I am not a professional so yeah.

Offline 11Z11

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Until about a year ago I was using a 10 year old 32 MB RAM machine. Think of the poor people you elitist bastards.
LoL  :D ,No,Not laughing at you...but at your at reply...tone made me lol
Now my machine is hardly "Elite" (5yrs old) , little surprised to hear people still use such old machines....what with the lower price of ram....but there then you need a board,cpu etc.
well guess the option is needed then

Offline Graen

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »
So what?  You were running Windows 3.11 for the past 10 years?  Cause 32MB of RAM doesn't even meet the Microsoft recommended minimum for Win2k.

Oh and yeah... when I built my 1st machine 11 years ago, back in the fall of '98 it had  128MB of RAM, which was then upgraded a year later to 640MB of RAM.

So, if your story is true and you only had that computer, you've only yourself to blame.

That said, will there be an options screen sometime in the future?  Most likely.  Will it have the ability to turn off AA fonts?  Maybe, but I don't see why it should.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »
Personally I never noticed any special font jaggines that would bother me so I don't know what's the fuss with it. There are things that are way more important to be done than smooth fonts.

Minimum ram for Win2k is 32MB, and he never said he used windows in the first place...

Offline Graen

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
Hehe, I said Recommended Minimum,  Not Supported.  ::)

● 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum. 32 MB of RAM is the minimum supported. 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM is the maximum.
That said, no one would seriously use a computer with 32MB of RAM, and god knows what processor, to try and play this game, or so I would hope.

With regards to smooth fonts, you'll notice it on more stylized fonts, but even with the current font, in the game, you can see the jaggies.  When I suggested it, I did so because I want to personally use a different font in the game, and after I learned it was so easy to implement I figured that was the end of the discussion.  I honestly wasn't expecting this topic to degrade to a "who has the weakest system" cockfight.

I echo Zodiac44's sentiments when he said:
...I highly doubt there will be even a single user who experiences a problem with AA fonts.

exodia91

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
It's called windows 98. And it was an estimate of how old it was, I got it for free when some sort of office went under and they were chucking all their stuff.

And you're judging people about turning this into a question of if people can run it, when you're implying I'm a liar because I disagreed with you and pointed out people can still use really old crappy computers? I never even argued against having AA in the game, just so long as its set to off by default. Which I thought was a pretty good compromise, but you seem completely unwilling to even consider.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:39:34 PM by exodia91 »

Offline Graen

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
And have you tried running Whore Master on it?  :D

exodia91

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
I chucked that thing the instant I got something better. It could barely run starcraft.