Author Topic: Smooth Fonts  (Read 17390 times)

Offline mranderson81

• 冬陸
Re: Smooth Fonts
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
I chucked that thing the instant I got something better. It could barely run starcraft.

Then I'm quite positive WM would been runable on that PC.  :-\
冬陸

exodia91

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
You'd be surprised. Starcraft could almost run on a calculator.

Offline Archfiend

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
Design the game for a target audience in mind.

The majority of that audience will be using comps that can easily support AA fonts.

If AA fonts are enabled by default, the (vast?) majority of your user-base will either be satisfied or not notice any difference, while only a fringe will be dissatisfied...

... Conversely, if AA fonts are disabled by default, the (vast?) majority of your user-base will either be dissatisfied or not notice any difference, while only a fringe will be satisfied.

You can't please everyone - the best you can hope to accomplish is to please the most people possible given any collection of factors.

exodia91

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
.... I hate to do this.... but your argument is completely broken. You're acting as if having it off by default completely erases it from the game with no access. Also, the "vast majority of people who are dissatisfied" is like, 2 people. Your argument is inherently flawed. You're basically saying people are going to be dissatisfied that they have to go into the options and turn AA on so that their custom fonts look marginally better. All 3 people that have a problem with slightly jagged fonts.

Why is this even still an issue? Having it off by default makes everyone happy. The people that want to can turn it on, the people it might possibly crash or slowdown the game are never bothered, everybody wins, everybody goes home happy.

Offline Graen

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
exodia91...  Only two people in this entire thread have suggested that Smooth Fonts be off by default, you and Mehzerz.  And Mehzerz even said he wouldn't mind having it on by default if it was in the config screen.

Both sides are valid arguments. I know there's quite a few players with old machines. But I don't see it as being very common for something like this.

But my vote would go have it off by default, just in case something like that DOES happen. Unless the game gets the config screen actually in-game. Where the settings will be less of a problem for newer players.

Honestly, you're making much ado about nothing.

Offline 11Z11

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 03:05:23 AM »
well there was that 1 very logical and wise statement about the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few
...then there is also what i said earlier about lazy folks who will come asking how to enable AA if it's not in game in an options screen.
either way it's not such a big deal or feature requiring so much debate.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:45 AM »
Just so people have a reference as to the difference font antialiasing makes:

Offline Graen

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 04:56:52 AM »
:huggles: Dagoth.  ;)

Offline mranderson81

• 冬陸
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »
The AA seems freakishly blurry for me... (That's the bold one... right?)
And the only reason I'm typing this is just so I know if it's just blurry for me, or not... (I better not talk about why it "might" be blurry.)
Otherwise, should it be enabled as default or not? I think it realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly doesn't matter... If it's not blurry, enable it, honestly, I rarely doubt anyone that is playing games on their PC has one that couldn't handle the game with AA on... (Which... considering my laptop can't handle flash games... And it's only a year old...  :-X ) But well! Every H-game (non-flash) and even non H-games (amazing  :o ) work... Exept flash games, there's no explanation why those games don't run. Ye... Exuse me for ranting about such meaningless topic which doesn't invovle this forum at all... (I could have deleted all the non-sense lines... But I decided against it.)
冬陸

Offline Samu

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »
I don't care if it is enabled or not by default.

Offline fixet

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
aa makes it worse, imo

then again, I'm fine with jaggies
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:10:36 AM by fixet »

Offline george.chya

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
You know its kind of sad that that's what people have been fighting about.
Honestly I don't see that big of a difference between the two.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
It going to be a setting so shut up about it.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
To people who find it looks blurry: drag the picture on your browser's address bar to open it on its own. The forum seems to reduce image size to fit the posts and this might be what causes the blurriness. (It's a subtle effect though.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:05:14 PM by LordShame »