devolution

Author Topic: More brothel events and girl events. (and editer)  (Read 20971 times)

Offline clingybouncer

More brothel events and girl events. (and editer)
« on: October 12, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
It would be awesome if you could add more brothel sex events to expand the gallery tabs to things like masturbation, rape, or futa.
Example: brothel event would say something like "customer payed to watch her masturbate." and then a new gallery could hold those images expanding the experience and giving me more places to place the pics of the girls.

I would also like to see girl events like marriage or suicide based on the girls stats like love and happiness.

Having stats for the person your playing playing would be cool too.

And lastly while I'm sure the girl editor doesn't have priority over the next release or new game I would love to see the ability to make your own traits.

Offline trex

• Donator
Re: More brothel events and girl events. (and editer)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
I'd love the ability to see slaves try to buy their freedom, and based on PC Love, stay on as a free girl or leave.

Having more options such as retiring a girl or having them request things would be cool too. Marriage would be interesting. Personally being able to set what each girl specializes in at a brothel would be great, so you can set a girl on something she's 'naturally' good at.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
having stats for the player character means that those stats has an effect on the girls and the game as such, at current there is none.

quote: "And lastly while I'm sure the girl editor doesn't have priority over the next release or new game I would love to see the ability to make your own traits."

it sounds initially nice but it would open the bag for adding 300+ different "personalized" traits for each and every unique girl in the game as every new player would insist that their definition of the girls' traits are "The One" to use. god knows how many traits you would end up with if you Downloaded several packages from different players with all their own version of a new trait and those same added to the same girls. like saying Urd would have "big Boobs" and "Large Rack" and so on. hope i make sense here.
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:48:46 PM »
It's better to have a choice than remove a choice because you think people can't choose well.

It's similar in theory to "Well, because 3 different people might make sailor mars, we shouldn't allow uniques. God knows how many girls would get made."

If you can add and remove traits, the players themselves can determine what to keep and what to trash. It's the same fix as having 3 sailor mars'.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
think you got me wrong there, i'm not opposed to new girls, only to the traits getting full, free run. get a thread that lists the current traits (with explanations of the nature of the traits) and a posibility of suggesting new traits, then let the contributors add the traits they think is relevant.
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
It's better to have a choice than remove a choice because you think people can't choose well.

You know, I'm not entirely convinced that libertarianism and game design work all that well together.

I mean, think about racing circuits. You could argue that it's unfair of the race organisers to put all those twists and turns in the track, and that what they ought to do is just have a big empty tarmac field and  let the drivers drive where they choose.

Sometimes it's the restrictions that make the pastime interesting.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »
You know, I'm not entirely convinced that libertarianism and game design work all that well together.

I mean, think about racing circuits. You could argue that it's unfair of the race organisers to put all those twists and turns in the track, and that what they ought to do is just have a big empty tarmac field and  let the drivers drive where they choose.

This is a video game. Not a racetrack.

But, I'll bite.

In your example, suppose 5 people decide the rules for that game. Someone comes up with a good suggestion. But those 5 people don't like it.

Who's to say that suggestion won't make the game better? I can't come up with a good suggestion for racing, because I'm not a redneck and therefore I don't like racing.

However...

What you're suggesting is that this suggestion is as stupid as that one, with your straw man. I'm not suggesting they make such a stupid change, especially since it's not 'unfair' to have twists and turns. That's a stupid argument. Really stupid, because then literally every track would be exactly the same. But that's my opinion. I don't mean to insult the imaginary person you came up with who suggested that. I'm pro-imaginary-friends.

*Shakes Bloo's hand(?)* See? We're not really FRIENDS like you are (creepy), but I don't hate him.

So, MAC, I suggest you don't insult me.

Offline Kaito

• Elegant Thief
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »

So art isn't an interesting pastime? This is a business sim, it is ENTIRELY MADE OF CHOICES. If this were an FPS, or an RPG, I might agree. But the entire gameplay of this game, is choices. Enforcing restrictions because people might make bad choices with their own, custom made content that no one has to use and is not included in the Base game, makes no sense. Now, if there were engine limitations, or some other reason, it would make sense.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:55 AM »
What you're suggesting is that this suggestion is as stupid as that one, with your straw man.

Calm down. I'm not having a dig at you, and user defined traits have been on my todo list since the spring. I just want to discuss the notion (which crops up fairly frequently on these boards) that more choice is always better.

I'm not suggesting they make such a stupid change, especially since it's not 'unfair' to have twists and turns. That's a stupid argument. Really stupid, because then literally every track would be exactly the same. But that's my opinion. I don't mean to insult the imaginary person you came up with who suggested that. I'm pro-imaginary-friends.

The only point I was addressing was this one:

More to the point (since I don't see how motivation behind a change affects the gameplay that results) the question becomes "is it always a good thing to have more choices". I don't belive I'm materially misrepresenting your position in saying that.

As such, the racetrack example was intended as a counter example - giving the drivers more choice about where they can drive makes for a poorer game. If you don't like racing think Pac-Man. Or imagine D&D where players could alter their stats and equipment however and whenever they like. Or Slavemaker where you could just double click a stat and set it to whatever value you wished.

The restrictions define the form.

So art isn't an interesting pastime?

Are you suggesting that art is without restriction? That would mean that a Limerick with it's strict rules on meter couldn't be considered to be art. Actually, that's a bad example, but it applies equally to Shakespear's sonnets. e e cummings has his moments, but I've seen nothing of his that can hold a candle to "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"

This is a business sim, it is ENTIRELY MADE OF CHOICES.

Well spotted. However not all those choices are available at the same time. Indeed, some choices never become available at all. Otherwise you could just declare yourself God on turn one and have all the girls in an infinite brothel from turn one. We don't give you the option to nuke crossgate either, and I don't think game suffers one whit from this somewhat arbitrary restriction.

So yes, the game is composed entirely of choices, but that doesn't imply that more choice is necessarily better for the game.

Enforcing restrictions because people might make bad choices with their own, custom made content that no one has to use and is not included in the Base game, makes no sense.

Well it does, in terms of establishing a common baseline so that all the girls are designed under the same rules. You may not think that's a desirable objective, but that doesn't make it into a nonsensical objective.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
Calm down. I'm not having a dig at you, and user defined traits have been on my todo list since the spring. I just want to discuss the notion (which crops up fairly frequently on these boards) that more choice is always better.

Not intentionally, but you still insulted my intelligence. I don't appreciate that.

As such, the racetrack example was intended as a counter example - giving the drivers more choice about where they can drive makes for a poorer game. If you don't like racing think Pac-Man. Or imagine D&D where players could alter their stats and equipment however and whenever they like. Or Slavemaker where you could just double click a stat and set it to whatever value you wished.

Let people ruin the game the way they want. It's not like they're forcing anyone else to play the way they want. If they're playing it a certain way, then they must enjoy that way. It makes the game more fun. It just does. Ever tried cheating at a game? I have. Whether it be entering the konami code in MGS3, or beating the final boss within 15 minutes of the start in chrono trigger (Not really a cheat, buuuuuuuuuuut).

See, if you start limiting people to how THEY want to play a game, you should have a very good reason. Especially since... I'll continue this line of thought later.

There's a difference between "Yeah... see these cops here? They're gonna shoot you if you rape someone, then get caught, and then try to escape, eventually pulling out a handgun to try and get away" and "Yeah... see these cops here? Hopscotch isn't on the approved 'fun' list. So, if you play hopscotch in the schoolyard, they get to arrest and/or shoot you."

(See how it feels for your intelligence to be insulted?)

Now, if you want to go ahead and limit certain people for the sole purpose of limiting them, then I have an issue. But that's not the case, so this line of thought is pointless.

So yes, the game is composed entirely of choices, but that doesn't imply that more choice is necessarily better for the game.
No, but you should be careful with restrictions.
Game design is about popularity, but also about art. It is a combination of the creator's wants, and the users' wants. As far as I can tell, while you value the users' wants highly, as of late, you've become more aware of your own wants. I think you'll make the right choice, whether that choice is popular or not.
However, there is something to be said of your philosophy on things. I hope you really mean more choices are a good thing. I dislike people who use force to achieve their goals.
I think we should have an editer expansion for traits. I think people should be able to post those trait files in a master thread. I think that you and the other coders should add those to the game itself. That way, girls CAN be made in an equal way. I doubt the game would run very well if a girl is missing traits, so I think the editer should create trait files, but, if necessary, not apply them to the game itself. Either that, or put in a placeholder trait like "Unique" which doesn't do anything for when you're missing one.
Now, I think this is a sound suggestion. I hope you'll agree, because I doubt you think you can mod the game better than an entire community put together. But maybe you can.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:43:27 PM by ShiningRadiance »

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 02:50:37 AM »
I don't even know where this whole attacking each other came from. Adding your own traits has been on the to-do list for a while now.

I personally never supported user-made traits when I feel the existing ones explain just about any girl you can possibly think of. (AND they're wayyyyy too over powered, how about we fix the existing ones before adding user created ones?) Especially when there's features the game could use a whole lot more than something that adds so little to the game. Whether they make it into the game or not doesn't really matter to me, but I'd rather see development go into areas that (in my opinion of course) are far more of a priority.

How about adding some life to the world? The scripting system allowing novel game style portraits on the screen as they talk, reactions the girls make when you torture them, deceive them, give them gifts.

How about giving us some goals? Maybe a little narrative? Yeah, Whore master is pretty much complete as far as a business sim goes. That's done, but there's absolutely NOTHING to strive for. There's nothing to proceed towards, you take over your fathers business kill some rivals and make money. This is only fun for so long... you play the game once for 10 minutes and you've experienced everything the game has to offer.

There's nothing to work for (better girls, equipment, jobs, technology,expansion, unlockables in general)
Nothing has a personality. Not the girls, the shop owner, the rivals, the gangs, the governor, nothing.
Other than rivals nothing really unexpected happens. Girls don't beg you to take them in, your allies don't turn on you, there's no spies, there's no special requests by customers, there's no one who wants to buy a girl from you with specific qualities in x amount of days, no events to help/ruin the town/mayor/shop owner ect.

Long story short, the game is bare boned. It's like a skeleton of everything it could be.

And this little spat came from user-made traits? Come on now, there's far more interesting things to start a spat over.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 04:34:47 AM »
Not intentionally, but you still insulted my intelligence. I don't appreciate that.

I used a somewhat silly example to provide an illustration for my point. I still don't see the insult in that, but like you say, it wasn't intentional.

Quote from: ShiningRadiance link=topic=575.msg11034#msg11034   date=1288406487
Now, if you want to go ahead and limit certain people for the sole purpose of limiting them, then I have an issue. But that's not the case, so this line of thought is pointless.

Fair enough

However, there is something to be said of your philosophy on things. I hope you really mean more choices are a good thing. I dislike people who use force to achieve their goals.

Well, I'm pretty much out of WM dev now, apart from a few outstanding items which I think are pretty non-controversial, so I don't think the question applies. I am a little baffled as to how I could use force in this case. Even if I added a slew of arbitrary and pointless restrictions to the game - it's Free Software. If I were to do something truly unpopular, somebody would patch the code and release a sanitised version.

Now, I think this is a sound suggestion. I hope you'll agree, because I doubt you think you can mod the game better than an entire community put together. But maybe you can.

As I mentioned in my last post, user defined traits are on the todo list already.

I don't even know where this whole attacking each other came from. Adding your own traits has been on the to-do list for a while now.

I'm not attacking anyone.

Offline d31r3x

• Town Wards Martyr.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
And this little spat came from user-made traits? Come on now, there's far more interesting things to start a spat over.

I share Mehzerz point of view. I wouldn't mind to go ahead with town wards city map (and discussion) if there's still some interest on it...

And -as a side-note- I would not dare to discourage people that complain/coment about whatever Doc is proposing/doing because I think criticizing is just another tool to improve the final product...  it's just that I don't think nagging someone who is working adding new features into WM for free, in his free time, just for fun, etc. is a good idea. Walk on his shoes -if you were Doc, what would you do? Would you listen to other people's ideas? Or maybe you would code whatever you want and don't care about what others want? (Just ask yourself... WWDD - What Would DocClox Do?)

Offline drake

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
Speaking of...  Mr DocClox, your awesome codingness sir, any idea on when the Lua implementation will come out?

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »
I share Mehzerz point of view. I wouldn't mind to go ahead with town wards city map (and discussion) if there's still some interest on it...

And -as a side-note- I would not dare to discourage people that complain/coment about whatever Doc is proposing/doing because I think criticizing is just another tool to improve the final product...  it's just that I don't think nagging someone who is working adding new features into WM for free, in his free time, just for fun, etc. is a good idea. Walk on his shoes -if you were Doc, what would you do? Would you listen to other people's ideas? Or maybe you would code whatever you want and don't care about what others want? (Just ask yourself... WWDD - What Would DocClox Do?)

Most coders don't tend to care what people actually want. It's their art, after all, and it's free, so... They lose nothing if people don't play it.

However, originally, Doc (Apparently) cared. I'm not too sure about now.