Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821285 times)

Offline mijh

Re: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers/Game Designers needed!
« Reply #705 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:42 AM »
Hi there, you should come on irc to talk, or pm me a skype name :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #706 on: May 30, 2013, 03:56:50 AM »
Btw, I cannot use irc or skype at work because of our firewall, and I spend a lot of time there. So in my case forums are the best bet.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #707 on: May 30, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
Btw, I cannot use irc or skype at work because of our firewall, and I spend a lot of time there. So in my case forums are the best bet.

Ah ok, that explains quite a bit, I was wondering why you're almost never on mirc or skype.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #708 on: May 30, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
@Xela
Thanks. I've never used git before, but I learned to use (and cherish) Mercurial while working on Pytherworld. Since both are distributed version control systems, many concepts are similar, especially that branches are great and merging is relatively easy.

@mijh
I'll try to show up on IRC, but I don't know when I'll have time to do that as my life is pretty chaotic right now. Maybe you could just post the necessary steps here or add them to the document in the dropbox or send me a PM? I imagine it's something like:
1) register a sourceforge account
2) send you the account name
3) receive write permission to the repository
4) use a command like 'git push http://bogus.sf.org/repo' to transfer the changes I made into the sourceforge repository
5) you choose the changes you like and merge them into the master branch

Btw, thank you for the dropbox document. It allowed me to download a copy of the game repository without problems :-) Very handy if you just want to start coding ;-)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #709 on: May 30, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
@Xela
Thanks. I've never used git before, but I learned to use (and cherish) Mercurial while working on Pytherworld. Since both are distributed version control systems, many concepts are similar, especially that branches are great and merging is relatively easy.

@mijh
I'll try to show up on IRC, but I don't know when I'll have time to do that as my life is pretty chaotic right now. Maybe you could just post the necessary steps here or add them to the document in the dropbox or send me a PM? I imagine it's something like:
1) register a sourceforge account
2) send you the account name
3) receive write permission to the repository
4) use a command like 'git push http://bogus.sf.org/repo' to transfer the changes I made into the sourceforge repository
5) you choose the changes you like and merge them into the master branch

Btw, thank you for the dropbox document. It allowed me to download a copy of the game repository without problems :-) Very handy if you just want to start coding ;-)

Well, if it's as simple as adding you to SF, just give me your nick there and I'll give you all the permissions.

The trouble is that I also had to configure SSH protocol and some git settings (because we have two depos), that's why I said mijh should handle that cause he is far more experienced in the area.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #710 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
Phew! :)

Got the new upgrades we were talking about all sorted out.

Description and price in the tooltip as player mousehovers over the available upgrades, they are level based so player cannot get draughtbeer before getting the bar. It makes less sense in other places but it's just the way it is coded, at least for now and prolly for the release.

Each picture is a button, greyed out if upgrade cannot be bought, color and can be clicked if upgrade can be aquired and just a color picture that cannot be clicked if upgrade was already bought.

Another thing that's new is the pop up confirmation window asking player if he really wants to buy the upgrade and now also if player lacks funds to complete the purchase, game throws a message instead of nothing happening at all.

Now... it's painful process of removing all the bugs from the game that new system has created and adding logic/event that the upgrades create afterwards.

Edit:
Actually, I am thinking about having upgrades and advertisements on slide out windows instead of a whole new screen (like fin window in girls profile). It should look and feel better that way, for now we'll leave it as it is because I don't want to create a mess in .rpy files, making it slide into the bounds of the screen is really easy so it can be done quickly in the future.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:01:16 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #711 on: May 31, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
Maybe put them in a simple tree for clarity? I mean something like this one.

Oh, and that assistant, the angel from the first Disgaea, if I'm not mistaken... Сonstantly seeing her in games tooltips since early Otherworld builds, I begin to hate her already  :D
How about giving the player an opportunity to change assistant's picture somehow?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #712 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
Maybe put them in a simple tree for clarity? I mean something like this one.

Sure thing, but only when we start seriously rebuilding screens, design like that takes time and conception so there is no point in making the game pretty before we discuss design in detail.

Oh, and that assistant, the angel from the first Disgaea, if I'm not mistaken... Сonstantly seeing her in games tooltips since early Otherworld builds, I begin to hate her already  :D

She's not really an assistant, I just playing with screen design and picked the first pic I found. Not even sure we need an assistant btw :)

Anyway, I've pushed upgrades to git and refreshed dropbox. Going to add how upgrades work to the concept and see what can be done next.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #713 on: May 31, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
Not even sure we need an assistant btw
Maybe, maybe not. I thought about using current matrona's portrait for this. Without any specific purpose, just as a decoration. And if the player doesn't have matrona yet, it could be MC's portrait.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #714 on: May 31, 2013, 02:01:08 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. I thought about using current matrona's portrait for this. Without any specific purpose, just as a decoration. And if the player doesn't have matrona yet, it could be MC's portrait.

Yeap, that would work too...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: May 31, 2013, 05:18:34 PM »
Ok guys... that's it for today and a lot was done I should say. All code written for the game is now merged into the Master branch on SF.

@Rudi:

You code was perfect btw and solution instead of my list, quite elegant. Problem was with .rpyc bitcode files, they (old versions) were messing the game up and git is set to ignore them. Basically every time you pull, delete all bitcode files in the game and you're solid :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #716 on: June 01, 2013, 12:52:17 AM »
Thank you for the praise :-)

I did delete the bytecode files at one time, but it did not change the error message. I did not try it for the latest revision though. Thanks for the tip.

Regarding module filenames:
Are you guys sure it is a good idea to have module filenames that include dashes and spaces ('-' and ' ')? You could not import such modules into a regular Python script, unless you mess with the import machinery (and maybe not even then).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:55:34 PM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #717 on: June 02, 2013, 03:24:32 AM »
Regarding module filenames:
Are you guys sure it is a good idea to have module filenames that include dashes and spaces ('-' and ' ')? You could not import such modules into a regular Python script, unless you mess with the import machinery (and maybe not even then).

Not planning any imports, not now, not ever. I like the names, they're very clear about the content inside.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #718 on: June 02, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »
Namespaces are a one of the powerful features Python is liked for. The import mechanism implements them at the file and directory level (modules and packages). I would be careful about dismissing them so easily.
Of course, you can always change the filename convention later if you change your mind, so it's no big deal currently.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #719 on: June 02, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
Before it's too late, I want to raise a question about the magical defence again. Even without BE it's hard to imagine a proper comparison of stats with magic, but without md of any kind.
We could either add a general md stat, use intelligence or add resistance to every existing element afterwards.