Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821222 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers/Game Designers needed!
« Reply #720 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »
Before it's too late, I want to raise a question about the magical defence again. Even without BE it's hard to imagine a proper comparison of stats with magic, but without md of any kind.
We could either add a general md stat, use intelligence or add resistance to every existing element afterwards.

Defence can serve as protection vs magical and physical attacks alike.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #721 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »
Oooohkey. It may be an acceptable simplification for comparison, but not for the final release of BE.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #722 on: June 02, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
Oooohkey. It may be an acceptable simplification for comparison, but not for the final release of BE.

Well, I will take time to figure out BE at some point but that might take a week or two before I know it well enough to make it my b*itch :)

We'll have do with just defence for now... and build on it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #723 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »
@Girlpack makers (Dark/CW)

We could use another field like
Code: [Select]
nickname = 'Hinata'. Would really be useful for text/events, there is no rush but next time you go to data.xml file or for the future packs, add it pls.

PS: I will not be online for the better part of the day tomorrow and the day after. Maybe I will still be able to log into the forum from Android...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:13:29 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #724 on: June 03, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
Are you sure it should be 'Hinata', not "Hinata"?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #725 on: June 03, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
Are you sure it should be 'Hinata', not "Hinata"?

Same effect, use " if you like that best :)

I was actually thinking:

fullname = "Hinata Hyuga"
name = "Hinata"
nickname = "Hinata"
Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck

For some characters this would make a lot of sense:

fullname = "Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck"
name = "Nelliel"
nickname = "Nel Tu"

If fullname is not specified, it will default to name, what do you think?
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #726 on: June 03, 2013, 04:07:31 PM »
I was actually thinking:

fullname = "Hinata Hyuga"
name = "Hinata"
nickname = "Hinata"
I'm giving it a thumbs up

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: June 03, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
I'm giving it a thumbs up

Well, thumbs up from me as well, it's one of those "we should have done it in the firstplace features" :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #728 on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »
Ok. And if nickname is not specified, it will default to name too.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: June 03, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Ok. And if nickname is not specified, it will default to name too.

Yeap :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #730 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Okay, the most important elements for the first, simple version of the image tagging system are now in place. Currently, this only means that we can select an image based on an image category (the first word in the image filename) and the folder the image is in, which are named after the characters. Is there any other information  about the images, which we could use in the game right now?

Are there game elements, which already have a (prototype) design that should be implemented? If so, could you provide a link or description? Xela is already working on jobs, so they don't count ;-). User interface (screens and similar stuff) is also difficult for me as I have no experience with the renpy GUI elements.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #731 on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:16 AM »
Okay, the most important elements for the first, simple version of the image tagging system are now in place. Currently, this only means that we can select an image based on an image category (the first word in the image filename) and the folder the image is in, which are named after the characters. Is there any other information  about the images, which we could use in the game right now?

For sex pics: position. For any pic: mood. For any pic: location. There will be more and the possibilities for each should be discussed here first. Does every category has to be hardcoded? Why not create them on the fly while processing?

Are there game elements, which already have a (prototype) design that should be implemented? If so, could you provide a link or description? Xela is already working on jobs, so they don't count ;-). User interface (screens and similar stuff) is also difficult for me as I have no experience with the renpy GUI elements.

Don't think so, you can pick whatever you like and start a discussion on it, that's how we currently work out concepts.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #732 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
Does every category has to be hardcoded? Why not create them on the fly while processing?
What is a category? In the current game code (except for mine), every tag or keyword is called a category. So, currently category means the same as tag. Current tags include nude, date, profile, group, questangry and so on. These tags are created on the fly by the game by parsing filenames. Since filenames can only reasonably hold two or three tags per file, and we need more than that, we need other ways to store the tags for each image.

The goal is to have image pack creators who provide a list of tags for each image in their packs. Since the game needs to use the tags provided by non-coders in meaningful ways, I think tags must be hardcoded. If every image pack creator invents his own tags, I can't see a plausible way to make use of that information.

Now, on to the use of category to describe the concept of a keyword on an image file. I propose to use tag instead because its a shorter word and carries a similar meaning. Then, a category could be something like mood or location. To say it again: IMHO, location should be a category, while brothel, stage, market street or bar could be tags of the location category.
If we need the concept of categories for tags ingame remains to be seen. My proposal is about having one (and preferably only one) good name for any particular concept to avoid confusion.

For sex pics: position. For any pic: mood. For any pic: location.
I think we need a list of valid tags for each of these categories. Otherwise I don't see a way we can make use of the tags. We should also identify an ingame use for each category of tags we add.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:24:05 AM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: June 11, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »
Now, on to the use of category to describe the concept of a keyword on an image file. I propose to use tag instead because its a shorter word and carries a similar meaning. Then, a category could be something like mood or location. To say it again: IMHO, location should be a category, while brothel, stage, market street or bar could be tags of the location category.

Yeah, I agree that we need to settle terminology, we should have our own section of the forum soon, then we can start dedicated discussions for every large concept in the game.

I think we need a list of valid tags for each of these categories. Otherwise I don't see a way we can make use of the tags. We should also identify an ingame use for each category of tags we add.

I think that identification is an overkill as well as hardcoding tags themselves. I would prefer there to be no tag categories either but that might become a bit messy.

Basically we can simply have a list/set of all tags for every image, then as we request an image, we specify a number of tags and iterate until we have a match or randomly choose from a number of matches. A system that would not force us into hardcoding every tag would top one that does right now because whatever taglist we come up with today will not be good enough even for an Alpha.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #734 on: June 11, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »
I understand not hardcoding tags means every image pack creator will be able to invent their own tags? So, for an image showing a girl walking, we might get the tags walk, walking, stroll, goforwalk, or whatever else people will come up with? How is the game supposed to find a suitable image, especially if two people might use the same tag to describe different situations? We need an official list of allowed tags, so everybody can use the same word to describe a particular situation and we can use these words(=tags) to describe this situation in the game code.

If image taggers (=people describing images in terms of tags) feel they lack tags to describe a particular image, they should contact us, so we can include the needed tags into the official list and update game code to use the new tag.