devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821214 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #900 on: July 12, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »
I need a fully functioning brothel for a start to balance out items prices.

We have a fully functioning brothel, don't we? Balancing out prices or effects of one of any one game element (I've said so before) is impossible. If someone wants to take charge  of balancing the game as a whole, be my guest. Otherwise we'll do it together when we reach the corresponding roadmap version.

Yeah, you forgot about clones  :)

I am beginning to think that random girls are enough for 1.0, also I am beginning to doubt exploration job for warriors before 1.0 os complete in favor of introducing new buildings where non brothel related guilds/activities can take place after original release.

Androids rg are done. Besides, if you need jsons for my random packs, they are now in db as well.
Tomorrow I'll start to work on the forest. I guess one such dungeon-type location will be enough for now.

More than enough. We'll add more after 1.0. If truth be told, I am not even sure what we're gonna do with one at this point of development, but we'll figure something out.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:29:12 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #901 on: July 12, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
We have a fully functioning brothel, don't we?
Ok, fully functioning and balanced out from the viewpoint of daily income  :)
Can they be considered as such?

Brothels are our main source of income, at least until advanced system with multiple dungeons and arena. I need to know daily receipts at the beginning of the game with a small group of untrained girls, daily receipts with an average small brothel (I guess 15-20 girls with 10~20 level?), etc.

It doesn't matter if you can earn 50 or 2000 per day at the very begining, I'll balance out prices
accordingly. But we have to start somewhere, and I think this is a good place to start.

I am beginning to think that random girls are enough for 1.0
It's your call. I like the idea though, it has a potential. We definitely should not abandon it.

I am beginning to doubt exploration job for warriors before 1.0 os complete in favor of introducing new buildings where non brothel related guilds/activities can take place after original release.
Then I propose to skip it, or make something simple. Like, create a gang (=party) from several girls and do about the same things gangs did in wm, except abduction. You know, extortion, patrolling, etc.

I am not even sure what we're gonna do with one at this point of development, but we'll figure something out.
We need something to keep warriors and MC busy anyway. And I believe many parts of the forest will remain after 1.0, so it will pay off to some degree.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #902 on: July 12, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
Ok, fully functioning and balanced out from the viewpoint of daily income  :)
Can they be considered as such?

Brothels are our main source of income, at least until advanced system with multiple dungeons and arena. I need to know daily receipts at the beginning of the game with a small group of untrained girls, daily receipts with an average small brothel (I guess 15-20 girls with 10~20 level?), etc.

It doesn't matter if you can earn 50 or 2000 per day at the very begining, I'll balance out prices
accordingly. But we have to start somewhere, and I think this is a good place to start.

There are very few truly balanced games out there, even commercial. I disagree that we should start with brothels. I wrote about what would be my approach before. First thing would be establishing some ingame prices for "base units". Then balancing out game rewards/earnings accordingly and making sure there are as few loopholes as possible.

It's your call. I like the idea though, it has a potential. We definitely should not abandon it.

Agreed, it's very easy to program and has potential but seems out of place for the first release.

Then I propose to skip it, or make something simple. Like, create a gang (=party) from several girls and do about the same things gangs did in wm, except abduction. You know, extortion, patrolling, etc.

Doesn't solve the problem I have with this concept, such gangs should be organized separately from brothel, like in a different building but adding that before 1.0 is premature.

We need something to keep warriors and MC busy anyway. And I believe many parts of the forest will remain after 1.0, so it will pay off to some degree.

No doubt, but since we will not have slave training before 1.0, capturing girls would be useless, simple item hunting would do the trick for now...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #903 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
First thing would be establishing some ingame prices for "base units".
I don't get it. What do you mean by these units?

Doesn't solve the problem I have with this concept, such gangs should be organized separately from brothel, like in a different building but adding that before 1.0 is premature.

My point is it will be not difficult to code as a temporary replacement . Same random encounters behind the scenes we have with customers in brothels, but with more dangerous opponents.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #904 on: July 12, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
I don't get it. What do you mean by these units?

We need to evaluate base elements of the game to establish currency value.

- Price for a basic weapon/dress/armor/potion
- Price for a an obedient slave girl
- Price for sex from untrained girl
- Price for sex with rank 8 courtesan
- Minimum wage
- Base upkeep (girl)

And so on.

My point is it will be not difficult to code as a temporary replacement . Same random encounters behind the scenes we have with customers in brothels, but with more dangerous opponents.

How do you figure? Texts of what happened during exploration would be required, tables to compare enemy stats with rewards and possible locations, Coding something like that temporary seems like a royal pain in the butt and a lot harder than guard job that wasn't easy to code in the first place.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #905 on: July 13, 2013, 06:00:56 AM »
How do you figure? Texts of what happened during exploration would be required, tables to compare enemy stats with rewards and possible locations
Jeez, WM doesn't have anything like that. As I said, you could just mimic WM gang system, but with parties of warriors instead of gangs.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #906 on: July 13, 2013, 06:22:39 AM »
Jeez, WM doesn't have anything like that. As I said, you could just mimic WM gang system, but with parties of warriors instead of gangs.

What missions exactly?

I got beer and free time today so I am gonna write code while I still can :) Starting with something from TODO list I guess.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #907 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
I do not remember all options wm has, but I recall protection racket (=fights with random enemy parties, just like customers), fighting with other gangs (=the same, more dangerous) and maintenance of security around the building (=the same, less dangerous).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #908 on: July 13, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
I do not remember all options wm has, but I recall protection racket (=fights with random enemy parties, just like customers), fighting with other gangs (=the same, more dangerous) and maintenance of security around the building (=the same, less dangerous).

Still don't follow. Lets leave till later, I'll code in some of the stuff from todo list.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:47:14 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #909 on: July 13, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Actually, since we have rmg and will have mobs, we might as well make a simple arena, and will expand it after 1.0.
It will require at least basic level of BE though.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #910 on: July 13, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
Actually, since we have rmg and will have mobs, we might as well make a simple arena, and will expand it after 1.0.
It will require at least basic level of BE though.

What's simple and what we will expand later?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #911 on: July 13, 2013, 11:00:31 AM »
The arena. I figured you have big plans for it, so maybe instead of exploration job could be used a simplified version of arena.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #912 on: July 13, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
The arena. I figured you have big plans for it, so maybe instead of exploration job could be used a simplified version of arena.

True, but even those plans are not in writing, I struggle to figure out what a simplified version of Arena would look like...

In any case, I better start coding, still didn't get anything done... spent all the time looking for ideas and art :(
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #913 on: July 13, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Heh, I guess you have to decide what do you mean by arena in our game, then we'll know if simplified version is possible  :D
The thing is, if we'll make a simple arena, then 1) we won't need simple exploration job, not now, not ever; 2) we won't have to make a forest until 1.0, all items and mobs will be at arena.

Anyway, I've extracted a good deal of sounds, animations and battle sprites, time to sort them out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:38:47 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #914 on: July 13, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
Heh, I guess you have to decide what do you mean by arena in our game, then we'll know if simplified version is possible  :D
The thing is, if we'll make a simple arena, then 1) we won't need simple exploration job, not now, not ever; 2) we won't have to make a forest until 1.0, all items and mobs will be at arena.

Anyway, I've extracted a good deal of sounds, animations and battle sprites, time to sort them out.

There are some excellent choices in RPG Maker. They also have an awesome way of constructing battle backgrounds from two pictures (background and floor). We can adapt both.

I haven't thought about the Arena in a very long time. My original plan was to make it into a place where any character currently in the game capable/willing to fight there can beat the crap out of one another. Cash would come from a betting system, as well as watching fees, both loosing and winning party would get some amount of cash (depending on fame/reputation and so on). Items were never supposed to be a part of reward. Also I planned adding a tournament every month or so with cool prices (Items/Lots of cash/Fame/Reputation) but would be immensely hard to win.

I am in favor of simple forest for the first version and no exploration job. We can decrease the amount of warriors in the game (we'll have to do that anyway).
Like what we're doing?