devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821692 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #990 on: August 07, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
Nope. Maybe except for packs, right now I have 40 unique and 11 random girls. Plus Cherry girls, not sure how many he has now.
Is it enough for alpha?
19(+3) unique girls (I'm not interested in random ones) that could be ready in about 3-4 days that I would need for updates and revisions.  Now I'm working on haruhi pack (7 girls) and I'm expecting it will take me about 3 weeks to complete.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #991 on: August 08, 2013, 02:57:09 AM »
19(+3) unique girls (I'm not interested in random ones) that could be ready in about 3-4 days that I would need for updates and revisions.  Now I'm working on haruhi pack (7 girls) and I'm expecting it will take me about 3 weeks to complete.

Kewl, I figure that it is more than enough characters for an Alpha :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #992 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:39 AM »
Hey guys, what's going on?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #993 on: August 21, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
Sorry, I'm away from unlimited internet these days. I'll be back in September.

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #994 on: August 21, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
I was downloading pics for Haruhi pack this week, but because it's more than 60k images to check, I'm still not done with it.
And I was also looking for background picture for docks that we could use for dates, but without any luck  :(

...nothing much else, I'm kind of lazy these days  :) 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:07:52 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #995 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
I am down with an illness.  :-[

Forums do not me post from a handheld I got in the hospital. Only only 1 out of 10 requests gets throught. I should be back next week.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #996 on: August 22, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »
@DarkTI
See you in September. Have fun  :)

@CherryWood
60k  ???
Yes, I suppose that takes a while  :D

@Xela
I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon! We'll be here when you return.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #997 on: August 26, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
@Xela
I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon! We'll be here when you return.

Thanks, they should release me this Saturday. I am getting sick of being sick :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #998 on: August 31, 2013, 04:57:08 AM »
Hello everyone, I am back  :)

Still not 100% but back...

I did manage to do a bit of rudimentary work on the project as well, most of it is code (I went with how I felt and the most mundane and boring task in PyTFall was improving the code to new realities...)

So, new stuff:

- Old/Slow resize_image() function has been replaced with a much faster ProportionScale() class.
- Old Alkion's image tracking system (file name based) has been completely removed from the game.
- img/fixedimg methods of Girl's class that drew images from that system are now also gone so only the new show() method is left (it uses Rudi's tagging system). New k/w argument (cache) has been added to that method to replace fixedimg() and if set to true, allows show() to be used on renpy screens language directly.
- BE bridge has been improved, nowhere near done yet but code has advanced a bit and I have better idea on how to improve it further.
- School's list out of range bug has been tracked and fixed (appeared after refactoring School to Job couple of month back).
- Load of bugs removed that were there or appeared due to resize_image()/show() method refactoring (and when I say loads I mean LOADS :) ) In fact, I went over my version of the game and failed to find one crashing element.
- Few interactions/girlsmeets/events that we have, also been updated with new code and debugged.
- Whore ranks code has been slightly improved.
- Two small interface improvements:

1) School courses
2) Brothel advertising (did not really deserve a label/screen combo of it's own)

Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #999 on: August 31, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »
@CW

Thanks (Don't know what happened to your post).

To answer your question:

Code: [Select]
$renpy.show('chr',what=chr.img('datebeach',resize=(700,600)), at_list= [Position(ypos = 0.77)])
Simply has to be replaced with:

Code: [Select]
$renpy.show('chr', what=chr.show('datebeach', resize=(700,600)), at_list=[Position(ypos=0.77)])
and it should work as before :)

==============
I've updated DB version with new codebase.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:10:41 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1000 on: August 31, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »
Thanks!

May I ask you about your idea about dates?
I'm trying to work on beach date interaction a little (as a break from girlpacks). I started with adding a few more locations and actions (swimming, walking, cafe, renting a boat...) but these are still mostly just bg with some common text with no real gameplay value. I'll try to add at least some variation/logic into it, but I don't really have any solid concept to follow. So I wanted to ask:

What do you think could make dates interesting?
And more importantly, what purpose they should actually have game-wise?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1001 on: August 31, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »
What do you think could make dates interesting?

Loads of stuff (coding difficulty would depend on each case).

- Minigames (very hard)
- Random events of all sorts (meeting NPCs, random people, battles, funny, sad, theme related and so on) (easy to medium)
- End Result based on choices (easy)
- Stat Mods (easy)
- Unlocking new game elements (medium, depends on the element unlocked)
- In case of unique girls, background based questions minigame (easy (or will be easy in the future))
- Personal questions even in case of random dates but game is not ready for that yet (easy to add but no concept has been written or even discussed).

More I expect, it's a matter of design.

And more importantly, what purpose they should actually have game-wise?

That is a lot harder to answer because we have not addressed relationships as a concept yet. In my mind, dates is something that would allow disposition to be increased to a higher levels, meaning that for example, if player wants to get a character predisposed to lets say above 500 (1000 is the max), they would have to date successfully at least once.

Basically, any code you write for the dates now will not be forgotten. We can always add more stuff/mods to it later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1002 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »
I believe successful date could depend on girl's character (=traits) and current mood, and how much MC actions match them. Remember when we talked about stats long ago, I proposed "in a mood for" idea?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1003 on: August 31, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »
I believe successful date could depend on girl's character (=traits) and current mood, and how much MC actions match them. Remember when we talked about stats long ago, I proposed "in a mood for" idea?

Sounds a bit complicated... I wanted each girl to have own preferences and likes/dislikes as well, mood might be a good thing too but logic to govern all that seems like exactly the thing that we ca add at later point of development.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: September 01, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
Small DB update:

Two new buttons have been added to the main menu:

Build Normal
Build Random

Those will build json image tag files based on file names so new girls can be added to the game by anyone.

Also I've debugged Dark's random girls (took me about two hours).

- There is a fail-proof JSON validation site: http://jsonlint.com/ Any file can be tested there.
- Many traits were out of date.

I've also added new field to gamelog that logs loading every JSON random girl datafile because game does not specify the file in errors and debugging is otherwise a nightmare. If you have issues with JSON RG datafiles, look at the last entry in the devlog.txt before the game crashes and use validation site above to check it. Missing traits are otherwise reported really well with my custom ingame error message, there was just a whole bunch of those.

Note 2 Dark: Couple of files are missing, slime girl and an elf I think.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:06:56 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?