devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821911 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1005 on: September 01, 2013, 07:47:58 AM »
@Xela  you mentioned this on other topic
...While you work on the exploration, I can start putting some girlmeets texts that CW found into the game.
You want to do that all by yourself? I was expecting more that you'll just do some basics (or that we discuss a concept for that) and then explain to us how to add supplementary lines like these so I (or anyone else) could do it.

Also, It's a quite long time since I ripped these texts so they're not updated and I'm sure I would do it a bit differently now

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1006 on: September 01, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Those will build json image tag files based on file names so new girls can be added to the game by anyone.
Cool, I'll test it.

Note 2 Dark: Couple of files are missing, slime girl and an elf I think.
Ah yes, I was distracted by traits and items polishing so I forgot about them.
I'll update all jsons and xmls to new traits system as soon as I can.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #1007 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
@Xela  you mentioned this on other topicYou want to do that all by yourself? I was expecting more that you'll just do some basics (or that we discuss a concept for that) and then explain to us how to add supplementary lines like these so I (or anyone else) could do it.

Also, It's a quite long time since I ripped these texts so they're not updated and I'm sure I would do it a bit differently now

Oh, ok, I thought you gave up on that. Actually the system works now and it works quite well, so any work you do on girlsmeets will be useful. I'll start writing new codebase for girlsmeets today to replace clumsy old version with a proper management class.

Ah yes, I was distracted by traits and items polishing so I forgot about them.
I'll update all jsons and xmls to new traits system as soon as I can.

I have xml files with older traits removed if you want them (debugged those some time ago as well). RG JSONs are in fixed folder.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1008 on: September 01, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
Well, I am far from 100% yet but I did manage to recode girlsmeets today into a class, improving things in the process.

I'll see if I can improve it further tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1009 on: September 01, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »

Oh, ok, I thought you gave up on that. Actually the system works now and it works quite well, so any work you do on girlsmeets will be useful. I'll start writing new codebase for girlsmeets today to replace clumsy old version with a proper management class.

Yes, I gave up on making concept, writing logic, managing disposition and... pretty much everything else about it.
I can only offer that I will look through lines I have (and maybe get or write new) and try to add them under relevant places and conditions (like traits) in girlmeets, IF you can make an example for me how to do that. (I'm sorry that I can't do that myself) It's not much, but I still think it could save you some time.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1010 on: September 01, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Yes, I gave up on making concept, writing logic, managing disposition and... pretty much everything else about it.
I can only offer that I will look through lines I have (and maybe get or write new) and try to add them under relevant places and conditions (like traits) in girlmeets, IF you can make an example for me how to do that. (I'm sorry that I can't do that myself) It's not much, but I still think it could save you some time.

Oki, I'll have to wrap up couple of things first, than you can start putting in some girlsmeets as well :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline SciAnon

« Reply #1011 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
I would also like to offer some of my time to help this project. I'm most likely to be able to either find images for you or proofread text for you, as those as my strongest skills. I could potentially attempt some writing for you, but I fear that it would be far less that useful :P

Even if I'm unneeded, good luck and I look forward to seeing how this project develops :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1012 on: September 03, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
I would also like to offer some of my time to help this project. I'm most likely to be able to either find images for you or proofread text for you, as those as my strongest skills. I could potentially attempt some writing for you, but I fear that it would be far less that useful :P

Even if I'm unneeded, good luck and I look forward to seeing how this project develops :)

Hello :)

Writing would be good, get DB, you can use this reference if you don't have an account with them already: http://db.tt/n73tZzn9, we'll both get 500mb free space. Then PM me your id/email and I'll add you to shared folder. You'll have to see if you can get your bearings in the project and if you can find some place where you'd feel comfortable with contributing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »
@ CW

I've updated GirlsMeets code to a point where I am happy with it. Everything is now in one class, clean and readable. It can and will be further improved but we'll have to see what will be required of it in the future first.

The thing is that nothing has really changed as far as labels themselves are concerned... so you'll have to tell me exactly what you need to start writing girlsmeets by yourself. Right now system already supports unique girlsmeets for unique girls and default girlsmeets for every character.

Game will first try to jump to a label called: gm_interact_interests_[character id] as it is specified in xml file, for example ('gm_interact_interests_Hinata') would be such a label for Hinata from Naruto. If that does not exist, default choice of 'gm_interact_interests' will be used.

By default, the following character are used:

Code: [Select]
        chr_gm = Character(chr.name, color="#c8ffc8")
        player_gm = Character(hero.name, color="#c8ffc8")
        nvl_gm = Character(None, kind=nvl)

But you can specify something different if you're more comfortable with that. Otherwise, rest of the rules is about the same as any other RenPy label.

You can use this line of code to jump to the place you originally came from if you changed background in the process of girlmeet:
        $jump(pytfall.gm.label_cache)
Otherwise, chr.disposition += 100 or hero.attack -= 5 and similar commands will modify stats. Ask me how if you wish to do something more difficult.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1014 on: September 03, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Xela, what is the minimum level of initial joy which is safe for using in xml/json? You mentioned girls will leave with low joy, so...
On the other hand, maybe we should give to players 1-2 weeks to improve the situation, since it's not player's fault in the first place.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »
Xela, what is the minimum level of initial joy which is safe for using in xml/json? You mentioned girls will leave with low joy, so...
On the other hand, maybe we should give to players 1-2 weeks to improve the situation, since it's not player's fault in the first place.

0.8*max? I don't want joy to be a problem off the bat either. Right now, unbalanced as it is, every free girl (only free girls may leave) has a wage that she expects to be paid to her. The very best scenario with very good disposition and joy bonuses is if she is working off fixed percentage and is getting what she feels she deserves or more. Simpler way is to enable "pay fixed wage" option with slightly smaller bonuses (as she will feel less as a part of the team). But there will also be an option under interactions to give girls monetary bonuses to raise joy/disposition (depending on ratio of a bonus vs their personal wage).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1016 on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
I think we should give at least a couple of days or even a week before a girl will run away if you just hired her. Unless MC beats/rapes her or something.

Or we should exclude joy string from xml/json at all. If you actually cannot set joy more or less freely, it doesn't make sense anyway.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1017 on: September 03, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
I think we should give at least a couple of days or even a week before a girl will run away if you just hired her. Unless MC beats/rapes her or something.

Or we should exclude joy string from xml/json at all. If you actually cannot set joy more or less freely, it doesn't make sense anyway.

I think we have a subversion set aside for stuff like that. Setting up some period of adaptation is a good idea that can be expanded even further, I like it.

Edit: Also, all stat will have defaults and there will be normalization methods in place. It's very easy to do, I am just still not sure about the proper acceptable ranges for stats.

Otherwise, I've expanded girlsmeets to main street as well now.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:25:58 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1018 on: September 04, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
@ Xela
Yup, there is something:

I would like to combine lines from more then one condition. For example, in interest label, if a girl is warrior and lesbian, to have a chance to display lines from both selections as answer.

Also I would like to add "hello" line to display at the begining, where to put it?

And one more thing, game refuses to start without Rgirls, can I fix this or at least remove Rgirls from girlmeets somehow?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1019 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
I would like to combine lines from more then one condition. For example, in interest label, if a girl is warrior and lesbian, to have a chance to display lines from both selections as answer.

Try something like this:

if chr.occupation == 'Warrior' and "Lesbian" in chr.traits:
        $chr_gm(random.choice(["Warrior Text", "Lesbian Text", "Mixed text?"]))

Also I would like to add "hello" line to display at the begining, where to put it?

That falls on to me, if you just use hello before you can start interaction, choices menu will be blocked. So I'll either have to code in a text window that does not block that menu and throw a greeting text (Hello/Hi/Hey at first, Hi again and so on after you've met the girl) or go with something more elegant like a bubble speech box for the greeting. Don't worry about that for now, there are plenty workarounds.

And one more thing, game refuses to start without Rgirls, can I fix this or at least remove Rgirls from girlmeets somehow

I was not aware of that. It should be really easy to fix, give me a sec to remove random girls from my version to see what's causing that, I'll update DB code with a fix soon.

Edit:
And it's fixed, I've programmed the game so it could be played without random girls, it was as simple as replacing
content = None with
content = {} in function. Make sure rchars folder is there even if it's empty as I am not sure if that will cause an issue. Otherwise game will load without rgirls.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:02:08 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?