devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821360 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1035 on: September 07, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
And I'm having fun building two really huge packs  :)

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1036 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »

Good for you...
I just can't imagine how creating huge pack could be fun. It's usually so much work that I'm becoming sleepy just from the thought of doing it. (And that's why it's taking me sooooo long...)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #1037 on: September 08, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »

Glad someone's having fun. I really enjoy coding for the project but still not feeling up to it. In any case, I have entire next week of  bedrest so if migraines finally stop, really hoping to get a lot done.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1038 on: September 12, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Well, it's kinda difficult for me to become sleepy while browsing through hentai content  :)
I've finished rather large queen's blade pack, now I'm going to work with soul calibur, guilty gear and other titles which are relevant to QB.

I guess even if the project will be closed for some reason, I'll join rudi or eliont (or both) in order to packs do not gone to waste.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1039 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
I guess even if the project will be closed for some reason, I'll join rudi or eliont (or both) in order to packs do not gone to waste.

We'll be sharing resources with Alkion and Rudi has made a PyTFall port to Pytherworld so you're kinda working for all three projects already :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1040 on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
I looked at new Alkion screenshots, dungeon map looks interesting. I wonder what kind of BE Eliont is going to use.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1041 on: September 14, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »
I looked at new Alkion screenshots, dungeon map looks interesting. I wonder what kind of BE Eliont is going to use.

I talked to him about it four days, he said the goal was similar to http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/rFORDid_lmQ/maxresdefault.jpg

He's also using an interesting approach to tile tracking and a solid technique for loading tiles, we'll see how it turns out, we can use 2 or 3 battle engines :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1042 on: September 14, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
Well, in Kamidori BE is basically turn-based strategy with rpg elements.
It means that there is no short generic battles, only large-scale ones, unless you have overleveled party. It means more focus on battles and less on brothels.

Another thing is that even overleveled archers and mages are quire useless compared to melee fighters because of counterattack limitations. Except for those few who have skills with very large attack range (which require 80-99 levels), and even they play a supporting role.

I guess we do need several BEs if we will use such approach  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1043 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
Well, in Kamidori BE is basically turn-based strategy with rpg elements.
It means that there is no short generic battles, only large-scale ones, unless you have overleveled party. It means more focus on battles and less on brothels.

That's part of Alkions concept, RPG over Sim.

Another thing is that even overleveled archers and mages are quire useless compared to melee fighters because of counterattack limitations. Except for those few who have skills with very large attack range (which require 80-99 levels), and even they play a supporting role.

He prolly meant general look and concept, mechanics might be different.

I guess we do need several BEs if we will use such approach  :)

Yeah, personally, I really want to get simple FF styled combat right... we should have no serious issues adding anything from Alkion to PyTFall and vice versa.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1044 on: September 15, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »
These days FF looks like Devil May Cry or something  :D

In old FFs I like front/back row concept, this way you need both melee fighters and mages/archers.

I also like Golden Sun approach, where you have 8 party members with 4 on the battlefield. Once per turn you can replace 1 member of active party if you want to, and if active party will be destroyed somehow, they automatically will be replaced by other 4 members.

Another interesting concept is Arc Rise Fantasia BE, where party members freely share their AP during battle with the only limitation that those who did nothing during turn will get significant penalty to defence.

Besides, if we want some "action", we could use something like judgement ring in Shadow Hearts, where you can't even use items, not to mention attacks, during battle without proper timing.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1045 on: September 15, 2013, 06:16:43 AM »
These days FF looks like Devil May Cry or something  :D

In old FFs I like front/back row concept, this way you need both melee fighters and mages/archers.

I also like Golden Sun approach, where you have 8 party members with 4 on the battlefield. Once per turn you can replace 1 member of active party if you want to, and if active party will be destroyed somehow, they automatically will be replaced by other 4 members.

Another interesting concept is Arc Rise Fantasia BE, where party members freely share their AP during battle with the only limitation that those who did nothing during turn will get significant penalty to defence.

Besides, if we want some "action", we could use something like judgement ring in Shadow Hearts, where you can't even use items, not to mention attacks, during battle without proper timing.

I don't recall many FF games with back/front combat.

Rest I haven't played but they sound overcomplicated. We'll have a separate discussion in our own BE when I get around to it.

I did some work on Arena yesterday and try to get some done today but it's not picknick either, there is a lot of things to consider like proper sorting, exclusion from girlsmeets, ladders, setting up teams/matches and so on. I'll get it right eventually, but I find myself rewriting a lot of code.

Also for arena, I am using only the girls, but we should really gather some NPCs and add monsters later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1046 on: September 15, 2013, 07:45:17 AM »
Looks like you played FF long ago.

Rest I haven't played but they sound overcomplicated.
Maybe in terms of coding, but not in terms of gameplay. They are quite handy compared to many other games.

I have a bunch of monsters battle sprites/portraits already, so as soon as you create a way to add them, we'll have them.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1047 on: September 15, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
I have a bunch of monsters battle sprites/portraits already, so as soon as you create a way to add them, we'll have them.

Awesome :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1048 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »
So, will we fight at the arena to the death? I guess with monsters we have no choice but to fight to the death, but what about enemy girls parties?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1049 on: September 17, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
So, will we fight at the arena to the death? I guess with monsters we have no choice but to fight to the death, but what about enemy girls parties?

Nope, special to the death fights for NPCs/Girls might be added later, but noone will die in normal matches.

Currently I am working on the following setup:

1) Ladder of 100 fighters sorted by their Arena reputation (not a big deal).

2) Ladders of (Big deal):

- Top 20 Arena 1v1 Fighters
- Top 10 2v2 Teams
- Top 10 3v3 Teams

3) Main Event Matches setups:

- 10 1v1 matches
- 5 2v2 matches
- 5 3v3 matches

There will also be smaller scale dogfights vs monsters and other opponents but those will not be tracked, you just enter an arena under the main Arena and pick whoever might be available at the moment. It will be a while before MC can take part in Main matches as Arena Rep would have to be built up and AP increased to at least 5 (required to start any main match). Dogfights will be available right off the bat.

My main objective right now is to write tracking code for all of the above... it's a lot of data with lots of rules... right now I'll be working with girls/random girls only, after main code is done, adding NPCs and better control over who does what should be walk in the park (at least I expect that it will).
Like what we're doing?