devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821781 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1065 on: September 25, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »
Basic displays of the sorting/tracking methods of Arena, these screens will be improved even for Alpha:
Great!
I can't wait to add some NPC teams already     :)

If I ever get to stuff like that... so much to do and so little time  :(

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #1066 on: September 25, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »
Great!
I can't wait to add some NPC teams already     :)

If I ever get to stuff like that... so much to do and so little time  :(

:)

How are girlsmeets coming?
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1067 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »
How are girlsmeets coming?
Terribly slow like everything I do...
I'm still in a phase of adding texts and I need a few more days to get it into state when I would be at least somewhat satisfied with it.  I didn't get to the logic yet, so it not playable in the slightest. (so if we are in a hurry, someone else could do it)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
Terribly slow like everything I do...
I'm still in a phase of adding texts and I need a few more days to get it into state when I would be at least somewhat satisfied with it.  I didn't get to the logic yet, so it not playable in the slightest. (so if we are in a hurry, someone else could do it)

Nah, there is no rush. Arena will take some time and we'll have a lot to do afterwards. Don't get to hang up on logic, we'll have to rebalance that just like everything else, just go with whatever feels right.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1069 on: September 25, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
Meanwhile I'm busy with Touhou pack. It's extremely popular (in Japan) title, so I expect it to be the largest of all my packs both in terms of size and the number of characters.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »
Meanwhile I'm busy with Touhou pack. It's extremely popular (in Japan) title, so I expect it to be the largest of all my packs both in terms of size and the number of characters.

Which one of us is in Japan? :D

I am still struggling with decision on how to handle NPCs (Make one NPC class to cover everything or to split them in Arena/Interaction/Story types and so on). We'll have to discuss pros/cons of that at some point... I've started writing code for matches build-up for the arena.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »
I never heard about this title until I came across it at gelbooru and then read about it in wiki. It's amazing how many pics there are for each of the characters (20-60 thousands). I did not even venture to search for it at pixiv, even I don't have that much time (at least +30 thousands for every girl).

As for npcs, I have no idea why we couldn't use one general class for everything, don't see any cons there. I believe we either should use girls that don't have enough pics for a pack as npcs, or simply use random ones.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »
As for npcs, I have no idea why we couldn't use one general class for everything, don't see any cons there. I believe we either should use girls that don't have enough pics for a pack as npcs, or simply use random ones.

General class would require quite a bit of resources/effort to create every NPC, while smaller classes enable faster creation of just what's required for a particular function.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
I never heard about this title until I came across it at gelbooru and then read about it in wiki. It's amazing how many pics there are for each of the characters (20-60 thousands). I did not even venture to search for it at pixiv, even I don't have that much time (at least +30 thousands for every girl).
You didn't know about Touhou?  ??? Blasphemy!  :D
And yes, that fandom is really something.  Serious stuff you're getting yourself into. I believe that only Miku alone has more pics than Touhou girls  :) . Last time I was creating a touhou girl she took me over 20 hours...

I know I will be creating some girls from touhou too (Shameimaru Aya and Konpaku Youmu), but with my pace it could take a long while before I get to that.

Anyway, Good luck!
--------------------------
Oh, one think: Does anyone of you know a good site for getting pixxx.com edits? (not siterips)  I was using a blog with nice sorting and database for that on http://hentaiimages.centerblog.net/ but it was deleted
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:45:32 AM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
Let's see, "The Touhou Project is a series of 2D vertically-scrolling danmaku shooting games" according to wiki. I never played such games, and never will. They also don't have an anime of some kind, except for 2 OVAs.
So, they were totally out of my range of interests until now  :)

Does anyone of you know a good site for getting pixxx.com edits?
Sorry, I don't know of any substitute for it either.

-----------------------------------------------------
I found recently an addon for firefox, "context menu image saver". It's very handy thing when you saving a lot of pics, like when you making a pack, for example. It has quite flexible settings, and you can save images with one click instead of default saving menu.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:46:05 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1075 on: September 25, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
I found recently an addon for firefox, "context menu image saver". It's very handy thing when you saving a lot of pics, like when you making a pack, for example. It has quite flexible settings, and you can save images with one click instead of default saving menu.

I used a decent save script for FF in the past but new update broke it and it never recovered, I've also failed to find a substitute. I'll be sure to check it out, maybe make a pack myself  ::)
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1076 on: September 25, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
Addons? I'm using just 3 shortcuts
ctrl + mouse click (open new background tab / save image)
ctrl + tab (move to next tab)
ctrl + w (close tab)
and I'm constantly waiting for pages to load or getting messages like "please slow down - too many requests" on most boorus  :) 
----------
@xela: Oh, ok..... I suddenly feel totally oldschool now  :o :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:29:11 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1077 on: September 25, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
Addons? I'm using just 3 shortcuts
ctrl + mouse click (open new background tab / save image)
ctrl + tab (move to next tab)
ctrl + w (close tab)
and I'm constantly waiting for pages to load or getting messages like "please slow down - too many requests" on most boorus  :)

There are scripts that for all tabs in a second :)

----------------------------
I am gonna call it a night. Challenge code for the Arena seems to be working, I'll write the accept challenge for A.I. and maybe player as well + simple GUI tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:23:56 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pieman

« Reply #1078 on: September 26, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »
Hey I just found this project and I'd love to help. I'm a game designer and a programmer,but I don't know python. It can't be harder to learn than c++ was.  ;)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2013, 03:06:09 AM »
Hey I just found this project and I'd love to help.

Help is always welcome :)

I'm a game designer

Any particular area of expertise? Maybe you can work on something specific that you are familiar with and enjoy?

and a programmer,but I don't know python. It can't be harder to learn than c++ was.  ;)

It's less complicated than C++, still it's a whole different language. Just download the repo and take a look at it, maybe find something you're interested in? While Python might take weeks/month to learn and get used to, I've seen people coming from programming/IT background who figured out RenPy script in matter of hours. If designing some NPCs/Interactions is something that sounds appealing, you could prolly start right off the bat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:46:58 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?