devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821884 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1080 on: September 26, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
Slightly improved Arena pics:

and there is music in the background too :)

Lower arena dogfights/starting combat sequence is next (cs is 80% done from the exploration engine).

EDIT: These two look freaking amazing together!:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:46:12 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Pieman

« Reply #1081 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »
Help is always welcome :)

Any particular area of expertise? Maybe you can work on something specific that you are familiar with and enjoy?

It's less complicated than C++, still it's a whole different language. Just download the repo and take a look at it, maybe find something you're interested in? While Python might take weeks/month to learn and get used to, I've seen people coming from programming/IT background who figured out RenPy script in matter of hours. If designing some NPCs/Interactions is something that sounds appealing, you could prolly start right off the bat.

Nah no real area of expertise that would help here.

RenPy seems like a simple enough, I could follow along with most of the code that's going on. Oh but when I tried running the game just to see how it all came together it crashed after starting a new game. Is it supposed to do that?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: September 27, 2013, 02:56:30 AM »
Oh but when I tried running the game just to see how it all came together it crashed after starting a new game. Is it supposed to do that?

Nope, it should work fine.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1083 on: September 27, 2013, 03:02:53 AM »
Nope, it should work fine.
Jup, I just redownloaded the whole thing to test it and it's working, both repo+mega and DB versions.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1084 on: September 27, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »
Jup, I just redownloaded the whole thing to test it and it's working, both repo+mega and DB versions.

Battle sequence during exploration is messed up for some reason, Jake's BE complains about some cr@p being assign to a tuple... I could have sworn it was working fine before.

Anyway, I've updated roadmap a bit, now it's time to write more code for Arena :)

F$%^, it's just one thing after another... doesn't look like I am going to be able to do much today :( Maybe tonight...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:09:43 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1085 on: September 27, 2013, 06:44:58 AM »
Oh but when I tried running the game just to see how it all came together it crashed after starting a new game. Is it supposed to do that?
Maybe you should post error report if you need help.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: September 29, 2013, 05:35:23 AM »
Rough translation of last Alkion's update:

Movement Order:
------------------------------
This is still in conceptual stage, any opinions/ideas to improve the model would be appreciated.

Lets say, one minute of game time consists of 100 units of discrete time. Every battle participant can take a turn(actions) determined by (50-agility+/-added effects) formula. For example a unit with action period of 38 (76, 114, 152) would end up with a speed of 2.6 or 26 turns every 1000 "timeunits". Queue of turns will be maintains for 300 timeunits under normal circumstances and updated as required by game logic.

For every turn, each character gets 4Action Points (this is Alkion so it's different than AP from PyTFall). Movings costs 1AP, Using item from a belt: 1 AP and accessing inventory 4 AP.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1087 on: September 29, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »
So Eliont is going to use real time and turn-based elements at the same time.
I personally think it will be extremely hard to balance out. Quick characters will be overpowered, since they will have considerably more AP per time frame, and the gap will increase with time. Same thing happened in disciples3.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1088 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »
So Eliont is going to use real time and turn-based elements at the same time.
I personally think it will be extremely hard to balance out. Quick characters will be overpowered, since they will have considerably more AP per time frame, and the gap will increase with time. Same thing happened in disciples3.

Well, our battle engine turns work in a similar manner, balance doesn't seem to be that big of an issue? I am a bit concerned with the amount of code required to get a system like that working, but he doesn't seem to share that concern.

I managed to get some more work done on the Arena, next week it should be playable and we can start making it/game interesting.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1089 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:22 AM »
Nope, we don't use AP during battle to access the belt, for example. What we use now is FF system without rows, so you could say it was balanced out already by Square company.

I've found one decent background for arena yesterday, I'll see if I can find more.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: September 30, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
I've found one decent background for arena yesterday, I'll see if I can find more.

Sweet, I'll need it soon.

Dogfights sorting is ready for all fights, first screen:

Edit:

My sorting is the best  ::) :

Going to try figure out wtf going on there before I fall sleep... and it's fixed:

Next is BE loading sequence (80% done) and reward/penalty/ladder advancement logic.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:59:36 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1091 on: October 01, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »
Code optimization:

I've been trying to read at least one article on Python/RenPy a day for a couple of month now. With that I've discovered a number of places where execution speed can be increased by 25 - 1000%. That code I'll update today, but do you think it's worth it to give the whole 15k lines of gamecode that we have today a through makeover before the Alpha?

Bottleneck anyone?:

--- launch game ---
INFO     pytfall         game directory: D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall\game
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Random Name files
INFO     pytfall         It took 0 secs to execute!
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Traits
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Items
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Characters
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Brothels
INFO     pytfall         Loading: PyTFallWorld
INFO     pytfall         Loading Random Characters:
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Dark_Elf.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Dryad.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Leafa.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Maid_Elf.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Noble_Elf.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Ranger_Elf.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/random_elves/data_Rena_Elsword.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/slime_girls/data_Slime.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/windows_girls/data_2k_tan.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading from D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.15.0-sdk\pytfall/game\content/rchars/windows_girls/data_Xp_tan.json!
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Exploration
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Tag Database
INFO     pytfall.tags    loaded 6465 images from tags.json files
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Generating Random girls (+/- 350), they were loaded in PW class
INFO     pytfall         It took 14 secs to execute!
INFO     pytfall         Loading: testing mode
INFO     pytfall         Loading: GirlsMeets
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Populating SlaveMarket
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Arena!

Gotta find out wtf causes it...
INFO     pytfall         Loading: Generating Random girls (+/- 350), they were loaded in PW class
INFO     pytfall         It took 14 secs to execute!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:50:58 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1092 on: October 01, 2013, 07:39:40 AM »
Aaah efficiency:

:D

INFO     pytfall         Loading: Generating Random girls (+/- 350)
INFO     pytfall         It took 1.20599985123 secs to execute!

LoL?

INFO     pytfall         Loading: Generating Random girls (+/- 3050)
INFO     pytfall         It took 12.6220002174 secs to execute!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:55:09 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1093 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
do you think it's worth it to give the whole 15k lines of gamecode that we have today a through
I guess you could do it before the second alpha, but it should be done before beta anyway.

I've finished first five Touhou characters, and their pack is already the biggest one, so I decided to releasing them in fives. Also I think we don't have enough random characters, so I'm going to make several girls based on Dragon Quest.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1094 on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »
I guess you could do it before the second alpha, but it should be done before beta anyway.

I've finished first five Touhou characters, and their pack is already the biggest one, so I decided to releasing them in fives. Also I think we don't have enough random characters, so I'm going to make several girls based on Dragon Quest.

We don't have any human rgirls... Also I am thinking we should prolly make packs with 3 - 4 pics best pics per category.

I've fixed the main bottleneck, game launch takes 2 - 3 secs instead of 15 and Next Day is now also a LOT faster (didn't time it). There has never been an issue outside of development environment by the way...
Like what we're doing?