Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821891 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1755 on: February 08, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
Ok, I'll test it.

About gifts, I thought about DA approach, where different characters prefer different types of items, and gifts are special items that cannot be used in another way. In our case we could use traits to determine which gifts a character would like.
In case of meetings with characters that don't "belong" to you yet you need to figure out their traits for a start if you don't want a bad reaction to the gift.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:05:14 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #1756 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
About gifts, I thought about DA approach, where different characters prefer different types of items, and gifts are special items that cannot be used in another way. In our case we could use traits to determine which gifts a character would like.
In case of meetings with characters that don't "belong" to you yet you need to figure out their traits for a start if you don't a want bad reaction to the gift.

Sounds good, there would also be simpler items that any girls with a specific occupation would want and maybe some gift items that anyone would want.

Option 2: is to add a field like gift="true" to any normal item with some extra options.

Option 3: do you think existing items carry enough data to determine if they are good gifts for girls based at least on girl's occupations?

Basically, you know items way better than I do. Take a look at them and see what can be logically done to tackle the girlsmeets gift issue. If you decide to go with your suggestion, lets make new file for gift items a json, not xml. You can set it up in any way you like, just make sure to use as many of normal item fields as possible and show me a prototype.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1757 on: February 08, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »
there would also be simpler items that any girls with a specific occupation would want
I wonder about it. I cannot come up with a universal gift for any service girl, for example. Maybe weapons/armor are more or less universal for warriors, but it's too straightforward to me.

and maybe some gift items that anyone would want.
Sure thing. Theoretically there could be characters without traits, after all.

Option 2: is to add a field like gift="true" to any normal item with some extra options.
Option 3: do you think existing items carry enough data to determine if they are good gifts for girls based at least on girl's occupations?
We could use this approach for occupation related gifts if you want it. I'll flag items with preferable occupations then, and such gifts probably should dissappear from the game after giving. Or become unremovable, except slaves, but this will only add complexity.

Or we could just make weapons/armor good for warriors, dresses good for service, rings/amulets good for strippers, and maybe misc for whores. Very, very rough approach. Right now we only have flags for autobuying system, that's not enough, because many average items do not have them.

If you decide to go with your suggestion, lets make new file for gift items a json, not xml. You can set it up in any way you like, just make sure to use as many of normal item fields as possible and show me a prototype.
   As example:
[
  {
    "id": "Elven Cape",
    "icon": "content/items/cape/ec.png",
    "desc": "Comfortable and noiseless cape from an unknown, soft material.",
    "price": "1500",
    "chance": "40",
    "dismod": "20",
    "infinite": "false",
    "hidden": "false",
    "location name": ["Forest", "Work Shop"],
    "goodtrait name": ["Not Human", "Alien"],
    "badtrait name": ["Noble", "Tomboy"]
 }
]

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1758 on: February 08, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
I wonder about it. I cannot come up with a universal gift for any service girl, for example.

PeacockFeatherDuster, Apron, SilverBottleOpener... I am not good with naming items :)

I wonder about it. I cannot come up with a universal gift for any service girl, for example. Maybe weapons/armor are more or less universal for warriors, but it's too straightforward to me.
Sure thing. Theoretically there could be characters without traits, after all.
We could use this approach for occupation related gifts if you want it. I'll flag items with preferable occupations then, and such gifts probably should dissappear from the game after giving. Or become unremovable, except slaves, but this will only add complexity.

Or we could just make weapons/armor good for warriors, dresses good for service, rings/amulets good for strippers, and maybe misc for whores. Very, very rough approach. Right now we only have flags for autobuying system, that's not enough, because many average items do not have them.

Yeah, you're prolly right, any system we come up with without dedicated gifts will be confusing and hard to work with...

Code: [Select]
[
  {
    "id": "Elven Cape",
    "icon": "content/items/cape/ec.png",
    "desc": "Comfortable and noiseless cape from an unknown, soft material.",
    "price": "1500",
    "chance": "40",
    "dismod": "20",
    "infinite": "false",
    "hidden": "false",
    "location name": ["Forest", "Work Shop"],
    "goodtrait name": ["Not Human", "Alien"],
    "badtrait name": ["Noble", "Tomboy"]
 }
]

Yeah, just remember that booleans and integers in json should not be strings. Also, maybe a different field, like:

"traits": {"Not Human": 30, "Alien": 20, "Magic Talent": -40}

to determine how much disposition should an item increase/decrease, that way, there is more control... and we do not need both good/bad trait fields.

Same with "occupation": {"Stripper": 20, "Prostitute": 40, "Warrior": -50}

I'll have type="gift" added on auto since all items in that json will be gifts anyway.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1759 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
I'm not sure how to handle universal gifts for any traits. We could use either dismod field if non of listed traits are match with the girl, or use "traits": {"Universal": 10} string.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1760 on: February 08, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »
I'm not sure how to handle universal gifts for any traits. We could use either dismod field if non of listed traits are match with the girl, or use "traits": {"Universal": 10} string.

Both will work, you pick.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1761 on: February 08, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
Dismod field then. I'll start to make gifts json on Monday.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1762 on: February 08, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
Should we add rooms as well? Or is it to much for the Alpha?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1763 on: February 08, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »
You mean like in Alkion or something?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1764 on: February 08, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »
You mean like in Alkion or something?

That would be insane... no, maybe a bit similar. In Alkion, much like in many similar games, player is forced to assign girls to and room per action.day shift. I always believed that it was stupid and counter intuitive way. Alkion takes it to a whole new level where you hire (Yes HIRE, no slaves in Alkion as per concept) a girl, then you get to tell her what to do during the whole day in shifts per room, most rooms have one action only...

We will have rooms in PyTFall at some point. They will work differently, you'll have to assign girls only to living rooms/quarters/very specific rooms. Most of the free girls will not live in the brothels/other buildings (only slaves and free girls that wish to do that for some reason). Work rooms (like brothel room) will be used as required. As game advances in logic, new buildings could be built for housing, for now we'll have only brothels.

Basically, many rooms as I see it, would work on concept of auto-assignment as required, NOT forced assignment by player.

As for rooms themselves, they should have decor (as upkeep first, furniture next), square footage (as range) (buildings have that already for cleaning), picture, name and so on.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1765 on: February 08, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
I fail to see significant difference between rooms and upgrades for brothel then. Furthermore, if you want rooms, decor and furniture, they probably should be in MC house mostly, since you mentioned that brothels won't be mandatory.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1766 on: February 08, 2014, 02:23:18 PM »
I fail to see significant difference between rooms and upgrades for brothel then. Furthermore, if you want rooms, decor and furniture, they probably should be in MC house mostly, since you mentioned that brothels won't be mandatory.

There is none, most upgrades would have to go. All buildings should have them, but rooms are overkill for the Alpha... I'll just try to code the jobs with future rooms in consideration.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1767 on: February 08, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
I don't know. It probably will be too complicated if every single brothel will have an extensive system of rooms (a lot of micromanagement), and more importantly, the same extensive system of rooms (=monotonous micromanagement).

I have no objection against MC house of any complexity, since a) it's only one house, not 10+ brothels; b) people like to have their own main base/house/castle/whatever in games, and I like it too  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1768 on: February 08, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
I don't know. It probably will be too complicated if every single brothel will have an extensive system of rooms (a lot of micromanagement), and more importantly, the same extensive system of rooms (=monotonous micromanagement).

I have no objection against MC house of any complexity, since a) it's only one house, not 10+ brothels; b) people like to have their own main base/house/castle/whatever in games, and I like it too  :)

Rooms will add a lot to the game in the end, I'll make sure micro is not monotonous.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1769 on: February 09, 2014, 01:49:13 AM »
Reminds me of my discussion with Rudi about advantages and traits  :)
Just like then, I don't see difference between the terms, except their names.