Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821741 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #1950 on: February 24, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
Couple of questions:

1) Should we change the name of the currency? Gold seems to simple... maybe Gil or something like that?

2) What should it be worth? Lets try to convert a price of a normal meal into the currency, simple dagger, blowjob and so on.

3) Any other thoughts/ideas?

====
I am trying to get my head wrapped around a concept of balancing and maybe simulating basic economy...

BTW: What population should PyTFall have? How many people?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1951 on: February 24, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »
1) We do need a decent name for currency, not gil though, it's too known.

2) Let's see, according to xmls the cheapest delicacy (cake) cost 10 coins. I guess a simple meal should be about 5?
A simple dagger cost 50 coins. Seems pretty similar to prices ratios in my local store, if by dagger we mean a good kitchen knife  :)
Blowjob... If we talking about a noob whore, maybe 5-15 depending on looks?

3) Tomorrow.

The city picture is small. And technologies/magic seem pretty weak for now. It may be a big city compared to others, but I doubt there could live more than 50000 with the current concept, as I see it in your background pictures with minor traces of progress.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1952 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
1) We do need a decent name for currency, not gil though, it's too known.

2) Let's see, according to xmls the cheapest delicacy (cake) cost 10 coins. I guess a simple meal should be about 5?
A simple dagger cost 50 coins. Seems pretty similar to prices ratios in my local store, if by dagger we mean a good kitchen knife  :)

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_currencies

2) Seems ok... well, that's something to work with when we get to balancing. That should be sooner than later.

The city picture is small. And technologies/magic seem pretty weak for now. It may be a big city compared to others, but I doubt there could live more than 50000 with the current concept, as I see it in your background pictures with minor traces of progress.

Oki, doesn't really matter right now but we might simulate economy at some point. I just need to create some version in my head and preferably be on the same page with everyone else.

==========
I am having trouble focusing on the interactions function, maybe cause I am to tired, maybe cause the concept is still unclear in my head. I'll just take a look at what's been done on interactions already and try to figure if some of the OW texts could be used.

PS: Did anyone know that OW had a basic exploration engine?  ???  It just never been activated...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #1953 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Couple of questions:

1) Should we change the name of the currency? Gold seems to simple... maybe Gil or something like that?

2) What should it be worth? Lets try to convert a price of a normal meal into the currency, simple dagger, blowjob and so on.

3) Any other thoughts/ideas?

====
I am trying to get my head wrapped around a concept of balancing and maybe simulating basic economy...

Well, I personally like credits, it is widely used, but normally it's for futuristic sci-fi type stuff. Gil is a final fantasy one, but people recognize it as a fantasy currency. If you want to be different but still not come up with some random terms, you can use shapes or types ( 'bars', 'cubes', 'hexes') you can use precious metals or gems (copper, bronze, silver, platnum, etc). Or you can always just call it 'coin'. but that might be too simple.

I always did think the fallout series using bottle caps as money was amusing.

I agree with basic food cost of 5 (whatevers). And while I do think actual weapons should cost significantly more, an actual kitchen knife (at least where I'm from) can cost anywhere from 5 - 50. So it could be sorta funny if there are 'tool' items that are relatively cheap that can be used as weapons (though not intended, but can be equiped as such).

cost: 8 coins
name: Screwdriver
damage: +2

lol

@Dark, are knives really 50 ? O.o. Can't you get a 5 or 6 set for like 25 -30? it's all good.

Other thoughts, I think a multi-tool is like 15 ... its been a while.

By simulating an economy are talking about fluctuating prices and a changing population based on the wealth and success of the city itself? Ooooh, does that mean we can take over the city itself .... yes .... yes, excellent. Change the laws, makes all the womens slaves. <insert evil laugh here>

But seriously, don't make too much work.

Ok, one more point before I take a break.
this '50,000' population thing ......

Aren't there supposed to be different tiers of people? beggars, commoners, journeymen, smithys, farmers, tailors, carpenters, clockmakers, laborers, merchants, law enforcement, businessmen, artisans, lawyers, politicians, judges, nobles, and royalty? (I missed a lot, but you get the point)

If there are this many types of people .... isn't this city a massive trade city / metropolis? With probably +3 million citizens (not including illegals/slaves). Where you can essentially never see the same customer twice and still make a profit?

I mean, in the end it's up to you, but I don't see a whole lot of nobles and lawyers living around a 50k pop town. I mean, unless it's like their summer home, or they can commute to work or something.

This could be the end ...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1954 on: February 24, 2014, 03:57:05 PM »
Aren't there supposed to be different tiers of people? beggars, commoners, journeymen, smithys, farmers, tailors, carpenters, clockmakers, laborers, merchants, law enforcement, businessmen, artisans, lawyers, politicians, judges, nobles, and royalty? (I missed a lot, but you get the point)

Yeap, nice round up, we currently only have seven, I should really look into adding more...

Millions is an overkill by any count, it doesn't really fit the setup, we can do 500k - 1mil maybe, city on the map doesn't look that big but that's not a huge issue.

Well, I personally like credits, it is widely used, but normally it's for futuristic sci-fi type stuff. Gil is a final fantasy one, but people recognize it as a fantasy currency. If you want to be different but still not come up with some random terms, you can use shapes or types ( 'bars', 'cubes', 'hexes') you can use precious metals or gems (copper, bronze, silver, platnum, etc). Or you can always just call it 'coin'. but that might be too simple.

Credits are for the sci-fi, yes. Crowns sound good... Septims? :D

By simulating an economy are talking about fluctuating prices and a changing population based on the wealth and success of the city itself? Ooooh, does that mean we can take over the city itself .... yes .... yes, excellent. Change the laws, makes all the womens slaves. <insert evil laugh here>

But seriously, don't make too much work.

The economy itself isn't a problem, content is... Code doesn't take nearly as much time as finding pics, sounds, music and writing texts. Just to create presentable taking over of city would require insane amount of new texts.

=================================
Otherwise:

Interactions are not in a very good shape, code itself is poorly designed poorly, there is very little decent content and it's so old that hero is still not silences and has his own lines. I'll do some minor editing like deleting all of heroes lines and maybe change the way pictures are handled. OW has a couple of lines we might use as well, but I don't wanna touch that until I get some decent project time on a clear head.

Quick Edit:

Some useful links:

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_urban_community_sizes
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1955 on: February 24, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
 For interaction I was thinking that:

I would like to have talk option that is just talk
I think that girls which are not prostitutes should only have sex with you on higher disposition
images for sex acts should have "partner hidden" tag
Interaction should consume AP for both you and the girl
Maybe we could have something like "rest and preserve strength for next day" to increase girl's AP for next day
lots of stuff to do at the dates

But I always ended giving it up because it turned out to be too hard for me codewise or, much more often, I got stuck with grammar or I was otherwise unsure how to say something in english.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #1956 on: February 24, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »
Hey, quick question. (well 2 questions)

Is there an external file that's going to contain (or is already containing) text for interactions and other things? Or is everything going to be "hard coded" into the script files?
Basically, how mod-able is this text going to be

Second, are the interactions meant to be generic? Or are they (can they) be specific to unique girls? (yes I know that would probably take more writing)
I guess this question is more about, what variables are taken into account during an action. Is it just the disposition bar, just like it is in sim broth? Or are there more variables?

Interactions are not in a very good shape, code itself is poorly designed poorly, there is very little decent content and it's so old that hero is still not silences and has his own lines. I'll do some minor editing like deleting all of heroes lines and maybe change the way pictures are handled. OW has a couple of lines we might use as well, but I don't wanna touch that until I get some decent project time on a clear head.

I didn't know this about the interactions. It kinda makes me motivated to pump em out. Hmm, so wait, does that mean they're based on the girl's personality? or how does that work? or does it not matter right now?

----------------
@xela about those links. So does that mean this is officially in a medieval time period? I was under the impression that it was 'all-in-one' type of thing
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:30:53 PM by Armegetton »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1957 on: February 24, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
"The post you are trying to quote either does not exist, was deleted, or is no longer viewable by you."

Man... what the hell CW? That was a good post!

Here is how I've started with interactions tonight:

1) My thoughts on reading the code:

- Holy crap those texts are off-base
- File needs to be split
- Fighting sequence is out of date (Note to self: Need to create an universal function to start BE sequences) (Do we actually want dates or Alpha?)
- That's not a bad shopping event Xip wrote, I completely forgot he worked on that... (Do we actually want shopping event for the @? If yes, I need to code it into the shops themselves, make sure item is tagged as a gift and give warning on removing it from the girl and huge disposition penalty if removed (taken from her))
- What the f*ck what I thinking when I came up with ginterimg idea? What the hell does it stand for? (Oh right... Girl Interaction Image and I was a coding nub...)
== Made a function to change girl images with providing any/none attributes but their tags and have automatic image transition during switching... coded and tested in 20 mins.
- Ok... time to delete all player sentences (Done)
- Nuff for today? It's gonna be a pain to write all the lines/events that I want to :(

===========================
Some interactions are more than off-base, they are just plain wrong, like free girl longing for freedom... oh well. I am not going to do any lines tonight, just update all images to new format. Tomorrow, if I can get up few hours earlier, I'll sneak in couple of texts and see if I can write a universal function for starting combat sequences...

Part of your post is back:

For interaction I was thinking that:

I would like to have talk option that is just talk
I think that girls which are not prostitutes should only have sex with you on higher disposition
images for sex acts should have "partner hidden" tag
Interaction should consume AP for both you and the girl
Maybe we could have something like "rest and preserve strength for next day" to increase girl's AP for next day
lots of stuff to do at the dates

But I always ended giving it up because it turned out to be too hard for me codewise or, much more often, I got stuck with grammar or I was otherwise unsure how to say something in english.

1) We have an option that is just talk...
2) Agreed 100%, prostitutes have no reason to give you freebees either, but they should do it at lower disposition than other classes.
3) I need to code in a new type of tag search method with "preferred" field. But I agree with you here 100%
4) "for both you and the girl", yeah... I forgot about that, same thing should prolly count for girlsmeers.
5) This is girl_control related, not interaction related.
6) Not really my department... if you have any texts or ideas, let me know.

============
I'll start with the basics for chat and sex this weekend, this week will be hectic so doing writing interactions on a large scale is not a good idea until things quite down.

=========================================
Is there an external file that's going to contain (or is already containing) text for interactions and other things? Or is everything going to be "hard coded" into the script files?
Basically, how mod-able is this text going to be

Decent mods will be included into the game. Otherwise, files are just normal ".rpy" files, I am not making any effort to protect them or their content as Ren'Py does not provide such tools and coding them myself would take month of work and research that makes absolutely no sense for open-source free game.

Second, are the interactions meant to be generic? Or are they (can they) be specific to unique girls? (yes I know that would probably take more writing)
I guess this question is more about, what variables are taken into account during an action. Is it just the disposition bar, just like it is in sim broth? Or are there more variables?

1) We are writing generic interaction to cover the full girlspool.

2) Interactions can be written for any of the unique girl and even general type of random girls. They will automatically overwrite default generic interaction if available but we are not going to bother with that ourselves, at least not at this stage of development.

3) Disposition, stats that matter for specific interaction, traits, girl's occupation (class). I want to automate some of that, but that can only be done to a point and using normal script will be more prudent at some places than resorting to automatisation.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1958 on: February 24, 2014, 05:39:54 PM »
@xela about those links. So does that mean this is officially in a medieval time period? I was under the impression that it was 'all-in-one' type of thing

Still, the setting is without trains and spaceships (at least so far) :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1959 on: February 24, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
SF updated (not a big update but it's better than nothing):

- Fixed costumer spelling errors
- Cooked up new function for better image handling during interactions
- Interactions now cost AP for both, girl and the player

All interactions should be updated to new code for displaying pictures as well!
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #1960 on: February 24, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
Man... what the hell CW? That was a good post!
Sorry... I did it again...       but thanks for answer, helped me a bit  :)

I don't think we need dates anytime soon. We have no real reward or reason for being nice to your girls in the game yet, so while it would look nice to have some options there, the actual gameplay value would be very low atm.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1961 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »
I don't think we need dates anytime soon. We have no real reward or reason for being nice to your girls in the game yet, so while it would look nice to have some options there, the actual gameplay value would be very low atm.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... same is prolly true for shopping as well. We should stick to the simpler stuff for now and things like girl changing class that might matter.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1962 on: February 25, 2014, 12:28:26 AM »
@Dark, are knives really 50 ? O.o. Can't you get a 5 or 6 set for like 25 -30? it's all good.
Nah, I mean high quality knives, they cannot be that cheap. And I guess even a simple combat dagger should not be worse than that.

If there are this many types of people .... isn't this city a massive trade city / metropolis? With probably +3 million citizens (not including illegals/slaves). Where you can essentially never see the same customer twice and still make a profit?
Ancient Rome at some point had about 7 million free citizen.
But our city map is kinda way too small for that.

Still, the setting is without trains and spaceships (at least so far)
I wonder. We have magic and androids, it should have some self-propelled transport at least .
Since "events" occur after wm with its multidimensional catacombs, all those androids, demons and stuff (and their knowledge) have been known for some time.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #1963 on: February 25, 2014, 12:46:11 AM »
Oh my, I found anime coins  :D
1, 2.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #1964 on: February 25, 2014, 07:35:10 AM »
I wonder. We have magic and androids, it should have some self-propelled transport at least .
Since "events" occur after wm with its multidimensional catacombs, all those androids, demons and stuff (and their knowledge) have been known for some time.

Maybe it's intended that all extra forms of travel are magic-based? Portals, teleporting, magic wings? O.o