Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821365 times)

Offline Sysreq

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2100 on: March 08, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
I guess I meant certain traits like "Cool Scars", "Old Scars", "Kleptomaniac", maybe "Magic Gift", etc. since they have no real bearing on a person's personality lol (kleptomaniac is debatable but I don't really know if it warrants its own response set).

As for actually editing, I've opened the files in some Editra program that Ren'py recommended to me.  Can I just edit the text there?  Though, admittedly, I'm not sure how to open .json files.  I can open .rpy files fine though.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2101 on: March 08, 2014, 11:19:48 AM »
Ah yes, indeed. Such traits mostly serve for checks diring various events. I guess it's possible to come up with some lines for Kleptomaniac, especially for gifts, then again it mostly serves for checks and gives a scripted effect to the character.

As for json, I personally use notepad+ for them. Not sure if renpy editor can handle it, but it won't be too difficult to move your lines to another editor anyway if there will be problems.
I also recommend to use json validator to check json files for errors.

Offline Sysreq

« Reply #2102 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »
Also, lol, sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.  If I directly edit the code in the .rpy files, won't you guys have different code in your files, which you will be editing?  As an example, if I went and fixed all the typos and grammatical errors in the .rpy files, they would still exist in your guys' code, no?  So is there going to be a way to synchronize all this shit?   

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2103 on: March 08, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Nah, since Xela celebrates International Women's Day or something, I will answer all your questions instead  :D

First of all, you should read this thread. Basically, after you edit some file, you will push it to the repository. After that, we will download your changes and, if needed, merge it with the changes that we have made. You don't have to use the repository, you might as well upload your work somewhere (we mostly use dropbox and mega), and then someone will push it instead of you.

Offline Sysreq

« Reply #2104 on: March 08, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
Okay, I had a feeling it had to do with that tortoise thing and the repository lol.  Though, yeah, maybe I should just upload it and have someone else push it since I dunno how to push.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #2105 on: March 08, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Welcome ;)

Ah yeah I see the "placeholder for interactions with being asked to be a friend blah blah" stuff.  I found the traits xhtml file; do most traits need a text?  Or only more major traits like personality traits (ex. mind fucked, tsundere, tomboy, mature, etc.).

A very similar question has been answered here: http://www.pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=1291.msg25247#msg25247

Traits are not very important in texts but it often makes sense to use some in forks.

Also, lol, sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

It teach a man to fish/give man a fish kind of scenario so bombard away :)

Okay, I had a feeling it had to do with that tortoise thing and the repository lol.  Though, yeah, maybe I should just upload it and have someone else push it since I dunno how to push.

I strongly suggest to learn how because the only way to push your changes from my PC if I edited the same file myself that I know off is to fork the project or create another repository. It's messy and takes too long + mercurial and HG are considered very user-friendly.

You basically:

- Commit (add all your changes to local repository)
- Pull (get all incoming changes)
- Merge (and at rare occasionally might have to resolve some conflicts with some decent tools)
- Commit again (usually offered as a part of the merge above)
- Push (deposit changes to the remove repository)

We all maintain local copies of the code, history of development is maintained at every node (PC/server/laptop) locally so there is no chance in hell you can completely break something for everyone even if you try :)

Make an account at SourceForge and PM me/Dark or CW your login there. There are dozens of really good and short tutorials in written format or on YouTube if you need help with something or you can ask here (but our knowledge of mercurial is at userlevel I am afraid).

==================================
As for writing, fixing typos is a good start, you can add some choices to texts or work on placeholders next. As you gain experience, you can try to create some events, add to existing once, add more interactions with NPCs or add more options to girlsmeets or interactions. If you need Python code, just put in the text and leave me notes as comments or post what is required here.

Ren'Py makes writing really easy and convenient compared to games like WhoreMaster, SlaveMaker, OtherWorld and etc.

Main idea behind the game design is creating Features and Graphics representations of cold ingame logic, something that most indie games choose to ignore or don't even try. Ren'Py is very moddable and allows to do almost anything save the 3D graphics (and simple 3D graphics as well in an year or two). It is already possible to add 3D dungeons like in oldstyle Quake or Doom now but we don't have a graphics designer on the team and there are plenty of other interesting stuff planned/discussed already.

Basically as you get more and more familiar with game layout, Ren'Py script and some basic Python, you option in writing will grow exponentially, me putting your ideas in code might be really useful for learning as well.

For now we're planning to finish some basic form of girlsmeets, interactions, wrap up some loose ends and release an Alpha version to see what parts of the game people like...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:19:54 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2106 on: March 08, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
Blah...

Noticed something odd during image caching, apparently we actually cache images instead of string paths... so now I know where the hell +1 gig of ram consumption comes from during the 1000 + 100 characters test scenario...

Similar thing is happening during the Next Day but memory is cleared afterwards so it's not that big of an issue. I am going to do some testing, see if loading images from path will cause any and if time permits, put some time into events.

Maybe the image caching thing was done with purpose and I forgot...

// It worked :) Memory will now be cleared once per 50 days so the delays Jaeke reported during the next day end should not be so bothersome anymore :)

Going to do some work for the Peevish event and then push.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:14:16 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2107 on: March 08, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »
SF Update:

- Improved image cashe (a lot)
- Added jump attribute to WorldEvent class (allows to jump to event instead of running it in new context)
- Finished first draft of Peevish meeting event
- Disabled auto-saving (testing if it might improve performance)
- Hero will now start with correct amount of AP
- Memory will be freed once in 50 days instead of once per day
- Some new event sounds added to the game

Click Look Around in the forest to check out the event (runs at 100% chance unconditioned for testing purposes).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2108 on: March 09, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
Is it possible for us to compress any game content into archives? I read about .rpa archives used by renpy.
Right now my copy of the game has about 18000 files, about 15000 of them are in content folder. Quite messy for prealpha, I think, since there will be more. Besides, if rpa supports password protection, it will be an excellent tool vs copyright for packs.
We don't have to compress them, just archive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:02:09 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2109 on: March 09, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Is it possible for us to compress any game content into archives? I read about .rpa archives used by renpy.
Right now my copy of the game has about 18000 files, about 15000 of them are in content folder. Quite messy for prealpha, I think, since there will be more. Besides, if rpa supports password protection, it will be an excellent tool vs copyright for packs.
We don't have to compress them, just archive.

It's possible but it's the worst idea you've had.

1) It would make almost impossible for a normal user to get rid of a girl or a picture.
2) It will make adding new content almost impossible as well.
3) If we released something and there is a bug in it, we'd have to update entire archive related to it instead of just one file.
4) It's messy due to amount of content in the game but it's structured and accessible.

Basically all the work I've done to make the game moddable would instantly be sent down the toilet, I don't see any real advantages either except cutting down on size and making it harder to delete from file sharing websites...

=====================
I need to find something to do for the evening... maybe adding another part to peevish event, coming up with something to improve the performance a bit or hack at BE or Ren'Py. I don't want to add logic to girlsmeets/interactions before new crew had some chance to catch up with HG and the code.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2110 on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
We don't have any shortcuts for removing a girl or a picture, players have to modify resources manually to do so (either data or tags files).
Might as well add another level and add buttons "remove girl" and "remove picture" to the game at some point. Also there are free utilities that allow to pack and unpack rpa files.

Besides, we could allow unpacked resources too.

3) If we released something and there is a bug in it, we'd have to update entire archive related to it instead of just one file.
That's what pro game devs do all the time  :D
Although they don't use too big archives for those parts of games that contain scripts ans stuff. We don't have to archive everything actually, packs are my main concern here

I don't want to add logic to girlsmeets/interactions before new crew had some chance to catch up with HG and the code.
Not sure what you can do at this point from the to do list... Either improve EE or join me in spells/girls packs making  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2111 on: March 09, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
Not sure what you can do at this point from the to do list... Either improve EE or join me in spells/girls packs making  :)

We need some form of magic training. I want to try and sneak in two NPCs before the @. Also game world feels a bit empty. Did you see the meeting event? Took almost three hours to get right...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2112 on: March 09, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
We discussed magic system, it's scrolls/MC affinity/girls with the right affinity for other elements. And requirements for spells, both magic and intelligence.

We even have a witch who could sell them until we'll have EE as the main source.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:52:01 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2113 on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »
We discussed magic system, it's scrolls/MC affinity/girls with the right affinity for other elements. And requirements for spells, both magic and intelligence.

We even have a witch who could sell them until we'll have EE as the main source.

We need something for the Alpha, there can be different sources for learning magic. The trouble with the system as we've discussed is that it doesn't really add a lot to the content...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2114 on: March 09, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
You have to find a scroll for a start, and it should vanish after you learn the spell. Although, we need EE for a start.

As for the event, that was a shocking experience, but at least it is fun when you tell him to f#ck off  :D
What I don't understand is why do you use cartoon low quality sprite while there are tons of pretty and cool characters out there  ::)