Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821894 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2115 on: March 09, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
As for the event, that was a shocking experience, but at least it is fun when you tell him to f#ck off  :D
What I don't understand is why do you use cartoon low quality sprite while there are tons of pretty and cool characters out there  ::)

That thing doesn't look irish and I wanted a theme... Also it might be a pain to remove that background. Maybe something like that can teach darkness magic.

I think I am going to take a break tonight and maybe add simple condition evaluation to the event manager and second part to the peevish event if I get the chance tomorrow.

When you're done with the spells, can you look into adding magic to the mobs? Right now game just randomly assigns some crap...

I'll push the fix for the girlsmeets now.

Edit:

- Fixed Girlsmeets
- Fixed kathom_duo event
- Removed even more auto-saves (still... hey happen during a menu in a while loop, this is likely a bug in Ren'Py, I've posted a question in Q section on lemma)
- Bumped version to 0.41
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:24:18 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2116 on: March 09, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »
Hey. Question for dark (or maybe xela knows?)

for the shopping/romance bit.

Are the girls going to have in game locations that they like? If so, is there a stat we can pull?

Basically, I'm asking whether this section is just for vague responses, or actual data.

romance:
Like data:  "I think the beach is romantic...///" or "I prefer dates in the park, going in town is too noisy"
or non-specific: "I like any place with a good mood..." or "Hmm, ... probably somewhere with a lot of sun."

shopping:
Like data:  "I really want a <item girl likes> ..." or "I've been wanting to go to <in game store, girl likes> ... will you take me sometime?"
or non-specific: "I've been meaning to get a new swim suit." or "That one place has really good ice-cream!"

This could be the end ...

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2117 on: March 09, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »
Mobs have elements, spells should comply with them depending on mob's strength. It's not difficult for me to do it manually for now, but many mobs don't have an affinity. Thus, we need things like strong attack/accurate attack/whatever attack for neutral mobs if you want a proper fight.

As for leprechaun, how about this?
Looks much better to me.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2118 on: March 09, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
Are the girls going to have in game locations that they like?
Yup, they are based on girls traits. Not sure where the code is located, better ask Xela.

As for shopping, some items have goodtrait and badtrait fields, they serve for autobuying system for now, but might as well be used for dialogues.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2119 on: March 09, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
Yup, they are based on girls traits. Not sure where the code is located, better ask Xela.

As for shopping, some items have goodtrait and badtrait fields, they serve for autobuying system for now, but might as well be used for dialogues.

Well, if I can find the code for the one that will work.

But not the good trait, bad trait. I don't think we need super complicated code to do a simple girlsmeet checks ... maybe favorite item type thing ..... actually can we have any favored items in the character class itself? Or it that pointless?

If nothing else I can just do generic responses for the items.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2120 on: March 09, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
Wait a sec, we decided to use a separate class of items as gifts during meetings, it's in gifts.json. There you could use simple checks to determine responses, specifically how much disposition changed after the gift.

You also could create another json file and set there favored items depending on traits/occupation if you want to, and use it in some responses then. But to add it in the character class as an overkill, I think. Traits are designed to make every character more or less unique, no need to make them even more unique.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:02:33 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2121 on: March 09, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
Wait a sec, we decided to use a separate class of items as gifts during meetings, it's in gifts.json. There you could use simple checks to determine responses, specifically how much disposition changed after the gift.

You also could create another json file and set there favored items depending on traits/occupation if you want to, and use it in some responses then. But to add it in the character class as an overkill, I think. Traits are designed to make every character more or less unique, no need to make them even more unique.

Hmm, how would I go about adding a json file? That would be much easier than reverse-checking items themselves. Also, does the script automatically add the json file?

jk, I'm looking at the json gifts file. What do all these numbers mean? Like chance, dismod, cblock, also what is the number next to the traits?
"Egocentric": 40, is this over writing the normal dismod number? How is it used?

And finally, how would I direct the code to check any of these things?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2122 on: March 09, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
jk, I'm looking at the json gifts file. What do all these numbers mean? Like chance, dismod, cblock, also what is the number next to the traits?
"Egocentric": 40, is this over writing the normal dismod number? How is it used?

There is a long explanation of concept on items in the game design section but it's only partially applicable to gifts.

To answer your question:

chance: Chance for an item to appear in shop on restocking day. 100% is maximum (available at all times).
dismod: Disposition Modifier. Value to be added to disposition if given to a girl during girlsmeets.
cblock: Non-applicable, at least at the moment, not entirely sure what Dark wanted to use it for in this context but it is currently ignored by the code.

Number next to traits is additional modifier, will also be added to disposition but only if girl has such a trait.

And finally, how would I direct the code to check any of these things?

Depends on what you want to do... either tell me what you need or just leave comments near your texts giving me instruction. I'll take care of coding after I pull your new texts.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2123 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
There is a long explanation of concept on items in the game design section but it's only partially applicable to gifts.

To answer your question:

chance: Chance for an item to appear in shop on restocking day. 100% is maximum (available at all times).
dismod: Disposition Modifier. Value to be added to disposition if given to a girl during girlsmeets.
cblock: Non-applicable, at least at the moment, not entirely sure what Dark wanted to use it for in this context but it is currently ignored by the code.

Number next to traits is additional modifier, will also be added to disposition but only if girl has such a trait.

Depends on what you want to do... either tell me what you need or just leave comments near your texts giving me instruction. I'll take care of coding after I pull your new texts.

Ok, so if
"dismod": 30,
"Egocentric": 40

then the girl will get +70 disposition?

Looks like the rest doesn't really matter for girlsmeets.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2124 on: March 09, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »
Ok, so if
"dismod": 30,
"Egocentric": 40

then the girl will get +70 disposition?

Looks like the rest doesn't really matter for girlsmeets.

Yeap, that's about it...

Oh... there is also "occupation" fields. Like items that only a Warrior/Prostitute/Stripper/ServiceGirl might find useful.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:35:57 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2125 on: March 09, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
Yeap, that's about it...

Oh... there is also "occupation" fields. Like items that only a Warrior/Prostitute/Stripper/ServiceGirl might find useful.

Hmm, somehow I think it's replacing, not entirely sure but
Wild Flowers (15) has
"Impersonal": 0

what's the point of this if they're added together? Just wondering.

Who put together this file? Can we ask them directly?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2126 on: March 09, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »
Yeap, that's about it...
Nope. It should be 40 instead of 30. And, as correctly noted Armegetton, it obviously should be 0 instead of 15 for Wild Flowers in case of Impersonal.

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2127 on: March 09, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
Nope. It should be 40 instead of 30. And, as correctly noted Armegetton, it obviously should be 0 instead of 15 for Wild Flowers in case of Impersonal.

Good to know. I'm working through it currently.

Also, is there a purpose in the duplicate item at the bottom? Just wondering.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2128 on: March 09, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
Good to know. I'm working through it currently.

Also, is there a purpose in the duplicate item at the bottom? Just wondering.

Prolly a mistake... game will overwrite the top one with the bottom one in such case.

Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2129 on: March 09, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
EE

What are our plans for EE/BE exactly?

We currently have two prototypes in the game (Forest Exploration type) and the map from Tiled import into the Jake's BE type. There are plenty other ways to go as well. Last we discussed this, we've also agreed to introduce something like this post 1.0?

Any new thoughts/ideas/questions?
Like what we're doing?