Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821737 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2160 on: March 11, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »
Added Peevish's magic teaching event and tested simple conditioning for the events (seems to be working :) )

I am done for tonight, need to rest up a bit.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2161 on: March 11, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »
Kewl, well, there are still more magical attacks, adding magic to mobs on you.

+ Packs are not very important right now, we already have plenty, unless maybe a couple extra random girls... There is plenty of other stuff that is higher priority.

Maybe noone gives a damn, even I never planned to go to far with BE. Exploration/Mobs/Dungeons I only got involved in cause I figured that you'd help me out with content.

===
I'll start with the magic teaching event in hour and a half.

My vote for the explore engine (EE?) would definitely be the Lightning warrior raidy style. However, I didn't want to say it earlier because I'm not sure if it'll be too much work. (and I have no clue how to do something like that.)

Like so:
http://biotoxic.wordpress.com/lightning-warrior-raidy-2-guide/lightning-warrior-raidy-2-guide-dungeon-part-1/

Because the "dungeons" are basically just a bunch of square blocks with walls and door. And there's no need to 'see' the enemies before you encounter them (they could be random) or I guess you could show them, but again, more work. Same thing with treasure chests, they can be invisible and the player just has to "search" each square, or they could be visible. Whatever.

The downside or hard part, would be doing the 3d movement (I would think so), but I know its possible because akabur just did one in his 'magic shop' game that xela posted in another thread (can't remember where). ... or thinking about it, it may just have been 2d and it was just a couple animations .... maybe ignore? lol

But for the battles themselves (BE?), I like what we currently have. Or perhaps a fire emblem gba style. I don't mean actual animations (keep the simple animations that we're using), but maybe an 'overlay' with a small battle field on it. So that you can still see the 'dungeon' behind the battle itself. (too much? again, I don't know)

Addressing girls with no 'combat' sprite. Can we have somewhat generic battle sprites (maybe based on class, or type?) for girls that don't have one? I know that might annoy some people, but at least it won't break the game if someone later down the line (in time) adds a girl, but not a battle sprite, and all they have to do in the tags file is tell the game which generic sprite they want to use for that girl.

These are all just ideas, you guys are doing all the heavy lifting, so I'm probably more like a cheerleader ....
There you go.
This could be the end ...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2162 on: March 11, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
The main problem with any system is content (graphics, sounds, textures and so on). Coding workload for all of these options is more or less the same.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2163 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
^That's our forest pretty much.

Addressing girls with no 'combat' sprite. Can we have somewhat generic battle sprites (maybe based on class, or type?) for girls that don't have one?
I have yet to see a decent generic battle sprite  ::)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2164 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »
Oki... I'll get to work on the project for 3 - 4 hours again tonight.

Plans is to finish the peevish magic teaching event (enable him to teach magic to girls who accompany the player as well + restyle some choice buttons) and prolly spend some timing hacking at some code to take a break from the events. If anyone sees something specific in need of immediate improvement, let me know.

Otherwise I'll hack at BE code for a couple of hours without any specific purpose.

Preparing to do my first push in a little while once I figure it out fully lol...In any case, girlsmeets is now typo-free and grammatically correct.

Are there any problems with pushing? It's best to update the code as frequently as possible so there are as few potential conflicts as possible as well. As I've said, if you want to try you hand at scripting an event, I've enabled simple and advanced conditioning some time ago and if you need help figuring something out, just ask me for specifics. Also interactions are still in a pretty sh!tty shape :( After you push, I'll add some new logic for that as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2165 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
Before I forget, can you modify the settings screen? More specifically, can you add checkboxes for disabling music/sounds in addition to volume controls?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2166 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00:27 PM »
Before I forget, can you modify the settings screen? More specifically, can you add checkboxes for disabling music/sounds in addition to volume controls?

What's the point? I can look into it but there will not be any difference between disabling music completely and setting volume to 0.

Edit:

Nope, it doesn't look like it's working very well at latest version of Ren'Py. There is an issue with music/sound/voice player in the framework in general... most options and capabilities are disabled to preserve backward compatibility while the player itself could actually be pretty good. There are ways around that but I honestly can't see the point since volume to 0 works perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:08:44 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2167 on: March 12, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
Of course there is a difference. You don't need to touch volume controls to disable sounds, thus you don't have to adjust sound levels anew after every single shutdown.
Well, if renpy is bad with such things, it can't be helped.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2168 on: March 12, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »
Of course there is a difference. You don't need to touch volume controls to disable sounds, thus you don't have to adjust sound levels anew after every single shutdown.
Well, if renpy is bad with such things, it can't be helped.

Maybe on a screen review... there are always simple ways around something Ren'Py doesn't want to do.

Edit: Found a super simple way as a screen language action. I'll see if I can put that in tonight as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:27:27 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2169 on: March 12, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
I've finished a first working version of Sailor moon pack.
According to this forum, it took me 11 months from when I started  ???  WTF I was doing all this time???  :o :(
Now I'm trying to finish Haruhi pack, and I really hope it will not take that long again....

btw. tags really needs some more adjustments in the future

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2170 on: March 12, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
I've finished a first working version of Sailor moon pack.
According to this forum, it took me 11 months from when I started  ???  WTF I was doing all this time???  :o :(
Now I'm trying to finish Haruhi pack, and I really hope it will not take that long again....

Blah... your packs are really good but if it takes so damn long, you should really do events or something like that... kathom dou event didn't take you nearly that long :)

I am done with disabling sound/music buttons, also now member of players team can be taught magic as well. Now I am making some styles for the event to try and make buttons a bit prettier.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Armegetton

• . . . . .
« Reply #2171 on: March 12, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
Oki... I'll get to work on the project for 3 - 4 hours again tonight.

Plans is to finish the peevish magic teaching event (enable him to teach magic to girls who accompany the player as well + restyle some choice buttons) and prolly spend some timing hacking at some code to take a break from the events. If anyone sees something specific in need of immediate improvement, let me know.

Otherwise I'll hack at BE code for a couple of hours without any specific purpose.

Are there any problems with pushing? It's best to update the code as frequently as possible so there are as few potential conflicts as possible as well. As I've said, if you want to try you hand at scripting an event, I've enabled simple and advanced conditioning some time ago and if you need help figuring something out, just ask me for specifics. Also interactions are still in a pretty sh!tty shape :( After you push, I'll add some new logic for that as well.

here's a message I was sent

Okay, I've tried pushing this thing like 3 times and it just doesn't work.  I've gotten to the part where it asks for my SF password and I've entered it, but it aborts because it says the push creates a new remote head.  I assume that means I need to update, but I have updated to the latest thing.  So, I dunno. 

I sent advice for merging and updating, but if it isn't working, would it be preferred if the update is just posted and one of us pushes it? Just like you said, it's best to post soon to avoid conflicts. And I wouldn't mind merging it if there are any issues (though I doubt there'll be a problem)

What's the point? I can look into it but there will not be any difference between disabling music completely and setting volume to 0.

Edit:

Nope, it doesn't look like it's working very well at latest version of Ren'Py. There is an issue with music/sound/voice player in the framework in general... most options and capabilities are disabled to preserve backward compatibility while the player itself could actually be pretty good. There are ways around that but I honestly can't see the point since volume to 0 works perfectly.

Maybe we can get a little bell or chime icon that shows up next to the gold and if you click it, it automatically sets volume to 0? and it's a toggle, between 0 and whatever it was last? I think it would be pretty useful.

My 2 cents.
This could be the end ...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2172 on: March 12, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Screenshot of Sysreq's revision history would be of some help. None of us will be able to push his work properly unless we clone the repository on our PCs twice (which isn't really difficult at all) but I would prefer if everyone knew how to push since it's not very difficult if done right once.

I was about to push but I'll see if  sound/music icon can be found for to the bar as well. Preferably a really good one, don't really expect finding one is gonna be a problem.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2173 on: March 12, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
Blah... your packs are really good but if it takes so damn long, you should really do events or something like that... kathom dou event didn't take you nearly that long :)
But that event also don't do anything at all  :) .
Problem is, that most of the generic events I can think of are too much code dependable (like selecting girls and sending them somewhere for few days) or too much into gray space of the game (you win the favor of a NPC - but for what purpose?).
So regarding events I was wondering that maybe I could try to write something story-like for some girls instead - but for that I need the girls first!
...but these are probably just excuses. Basically: I'm not confident in my writing + there is a lot of girls I would like to have in game + school is sucking out most of my energy to think these days = I'm just slowly sorting images and all events didn't make it further then to some paper notes and conceps on my desks.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2174 on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
"Didn't do anything" isn't a problem. Event enrich the game even if they don't do anything, also you've presented an Arena team to the game, so that's already a lot. Unique girls events are also important but not when game feels so empty.

If you decide to do an event that is code dependent, leave the code to me and just write the lines/trigger. Leave requirement for the code as comments or post them here. Sometimes you can also start slow, with winning favors of NPC, then expand and make sure that favor has meaning.

I think I found an icon, going to pin it to the bar now and see how that looks.
Like what we're doing?