devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821671 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2370 on: March 24, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »
I am about to test the penalty code for not paying the taxes. After that I'd like to do one last thing and that is scripting a game over on MCs death, that code is ready, so it's just a simple screen and a tune.

If I have the energy, I will also add projected taxes and debt to the government to the MC fin screen. If noone comes up with bugs, huge dis-balances or anything that is really worth adding, I'll prepare the build and start uploading the game and write a release text.

Right.. and ofcourse on the test:

Code: [Select]
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After loading the script.
Exception: Invalid key specifier skip
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2371 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »
Can you look into ripping:
Cool game, but bad for ripping. No ready unpackers exist for it in free access, we need either a hacker or a good C++ coder (if I'm not mistaken) for that stuff. The team that translated it do not share their tools.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:58:25 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2372 on: March 24, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
Cool game, but bad for ripping. No ready unpackers exist for it in free access, we need either a hacker or a good C++ coder (if I'm not mistaken) for that stuff. The team that translated it do not share their tools.

Oh well... there is a lot of these dungeon graphics online and the code to render that in Ren'Py is ridiculously simple... If we go with something like that, we can always find other games to "borrow" from. This one is just too bloody convenient :)

I finished testing the penalty code. Fixed a couple of errors, it seems to be working just fine and it's even a bit of fun. I'll do the "game over" code next (I think there is a devent game over screen amongst your graphical resources) and see if I can add the weeks taxes tracking and add the total debt to the hero screen :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2373 on: March 24, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
Yup, I ripped one from Agarest.

Come to think of it, our BE mechanics are very similiar to Agarest BE.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2374 on: March 24, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
Yup, I ripped one from Agarest.

Well, it's very good, especially combined with your soundtrack.

I just finished the code, it's simple but it took some time since it can be launched from anywhere in the game at all if hero's health drops to 0 or below. Right now I believe that it's only possible in case of very, VERY poor management of game affairs but since it's possible, there is little point on not having a game over screen at all and just go on playing as a walking corpse :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2375 on: March 24, 2014, 01:53:17 PM »
Hm, we actually could use race for MC as well in the future depending on the sprite. Maybe including Undead  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2376 on: March 24, 2014, 02:04:04 PM »
Hm, we actually could use race for MC as well in the future depending on the sprite. Maybe including Undead  :)

Yeap, that could actually work, all jokes aside.

I am beginning to figure out why we can do some stuff that never have been done in SimBro games before...

https://www.python.org/doc/essays/comparisons/

Trying to imagine what the taxes code looked like in Java or C++ scares me :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2377 on: March 24, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »
I've made a meetscrip for Rei, it's in her folder now. It's basically just a purchase of a slave with small show reference, to test if this option works.

But this is seriously getting on my nerves as I've seen this report:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After loading the script.
Exception: Invalid key specifier skip
like hundred times and it gives absolutely no clue where to look for bad code  :(

I've reported this to the developers by the way. PyTom suggested it might be an error in the new version but asked for examples, I provided two, one in Python and one Ren'Py script each. We'll soon know if I've done something weird to PyTFall or this is something global.

Edit:

*** The chances are that it was me or it is something in between... Fresh projects do not report errors the same way as PyTFall does...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:11:57 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2378 on: March 24, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
it's really weird. Right now I forget about tabs and copied some text from .xml file and it's not even giving the obvious "tab characters are not supported in renpy code" message. And most of the time my errors would fall into the "bad syntax in line xy"category. It's just showing this one  :(

I just created item in label and it only took me few minutes, yay! If it's really work, it will be my first thing that runs fine without hours of with the company of error reports
But only thanks to your example of course  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:39:37 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2379 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
I just created item in label and it only took me few minutes, yay! If it's really work, it will be my first thing that runs fine without hours of with the company of error reports  :)

I'll try to figure this out... For now I've been coding in small bits, like 30 - 40 lines before checking if it runs well instead of a few 100s.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot even think of a reason for Ren'Py to behave this way at the moment.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2380 on: March 24, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
When did it start? Is it possible to downgrade ren'py version as an experiment, or only the latest one is available?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2381 on: March 24, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
When did it start? Is it possible to downgrade ren'py version as an experiment, or only the latest one is available?

Few days ago I believe, I kept getting odd error error reporting for a couple of days and posted something about poor error reporting reporting here.

I don't really know... more than one version should be available. I'll wait for PyTom, maybe he can suggest something, if nothing pops up in a couple of days, it will be worth looking into.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2382 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »
Items created with:
        item = Item()
item.id = "something_new"
item.desc = "test item 2"
items[item.id] = item

Don't use default values as it seems, because game wants fields like "cmax" from me.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2383 on: March 24, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
Finished everything I wanted to do before the Alpha.

** Going to test it a bit.

Also I might change the slide show to work with taggroup chosen in the gallery instead of profile and battle combo it is currently locked to.

SF Updated:

- Game Over logic on MC's death
- Taxes code expanded to:
* Decent confiscation code (slaves and brothels, not items at this time) in case of total debt of 50000 Gold
* Displaying current debt in hero finances screen if such exists
* Displaying taxes so far this week in finances screen
- MC now has a chance to increase his stats if there are AP left at the end at the end of the day
- Fixed a bug where hero's MP and Fatigue wasn't displayed properly in bars at the team info, forest exploration testing and arena
- Brothels can no longer be sold at their face value, otherwise it would have been a way of never paying the property tax
- Hero location will now be properly updated if brothel is sold and he was living there
- Neow**!

Items created with:
        item = Item()
item.id = "something_new"
item.desc = "test item 2"
items[item.id] = item

Don't use default values as it seems, because game wants fields like "cmax" from me.

You need to run:

item.init()

after item is properly setup as you like wish it to be BUT before you run "items[item.id] = item".
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2384 on: March 24, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
PyTom doesn't have any advice yet. He suggested it might be me disabling skip key but that's not possible since I've never touched it.

Otherwise... Gallery now will display images based on tag chosen in the Gallery! I've also excluded all "number tags" in Dark's packs.

With that I've officially finished all that was planned for the Alpha. Lets test this thing a little bit and release it tomorrow.

Possibly last pre-Alpha push:

- Excluded all "number" tags
- Sorted all tags in the gallery by the amount of images they have
- Gallery will now display images based on chosen tag in SlideShow.
Like what we're doing?