Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821912 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2535 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
Well... I've started with the review. There is too much that can be done so on the first post Alpha review, I'll try to take care of the most obvious stuff only. For now I already found 4 utterly useless calculations every time a stat is accessed :D

*Items are very confusing to players and generally explaining the system does not improve the situation. Maybe we should allow all items to push stats to max + 30%...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:16:59 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2536 on: April 01, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »
You mean they don't understand cmax field, or your system with two maximums, or both?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2537 on: April 01, 2014, 02:41:21 PM »
You mean they don't understand cmax field, or your system with two maximums, or both?

The whole thing. Mostly the factor of the annoyance (I think) is that after a character is maxed out but before the lvl_max overtakes the max: Items are pretty bloody useless.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2538 on: April 01, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Can't tell...After playing the alpha for 5 days, I'm just as confused as they are - no idea how items work  :-[  But I did not participate in creating them, so that's probably to be expected...

I've never seen any piece of armor appearing in the alpha, same goes for boots and small weapons, in 500 days in game. They have "Work Shop" location in .xml, but this blacksmith lady only have 100x short sword, 100x long sword, 100x long bow, some replica swords, magic bows and crystals staffs every time and sometimes on lucky days a better staff or sabre and nothing else.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2539 on: April 01, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
I've never seen any piece of armor appearing in the alpha, same goes for boots and small weapons, in 500 days in game. They have "Work Shop" location in .xml, but this blacksmith lady only have 100x short sword, 100x long sword, 100x long bow, some replica swords, magic bows and crystals staffs every time and sometimes on lucky days a better staff or sabre and nothing else.

Change her filter... In the next release, I'll set all shops filters to all. For some reason I thought that setting workshop to weapons was a good idea but that just causes confusion.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2540 on: April 01, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »
Exhaustive tooltips for items should be a good start, no? I remember most things about items because I created them, but for others it must be harder.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2541 on: April 01, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »
Exhaustive tooltips for items should be a good start, no? I remember most things about items because I created them, but for others it should be harder.

NPC explaining them will serve a better purpose I expect.

PS:

I am not sure yet cause my dev version is currently broken but I believe that stats system wasn't functioning as it was designed and items messed it up at places :( I guess it's the beauty of scaled code... it's readable and understand to one who writes it :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:00:33 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2542 on: April 01, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
Besides, if players would be able to see both lvl_max and max stats, and how are they rise upon lvl up, it would clear up things a bit.

That reminds me, don't forget to add intelligence stat, girls don't have it right now.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2543 on: April 01, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »
Besides, if players would be able to see both lvl_max and max stats, and how are they rise upon lvl up, it would clear up things a bit.

That reminds me, don't forget to add intelligence stat, girls don't have it right now.

Yeap, but it'll be a while until I get to cleaning up screens.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2544 on: April 01, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
Change her filter... In the next release, I'll set all shops filters to all. For some reason I thought that setting workshop to weapons was a good idea but that just causes confusion.
NP, I'm just telling what was confusing.  :)

Dunno what was reported elsewhere, so my apologies if I'm just repeating stuff:

- I think we should add a disposition increase when MC personally saves a girl from customer. Because she gets -100 when you are not here, it would be nice to have a chance to win some back too.

- experience for warriors from guard job is very low. That's totally understandable when nothing is happening, but they don't get any more noticeable experience even if they get to fight the customer.

- experience scaling in dogfights is very disappointing. I've taken great length to take my warrior girl through arena fight, and when she actually survived the fight, in like 1 of 10 attempts (with a week of healing between each), she go only 90 experience, while my MC got 900. =no point at all in taking a challenge

- but on the other hand, levels for guard seem to not be required at all, because with lv3, my girl was able to easily fight off every customer that threatens even my lv35 prostitutes  :)

- flowerbeds are doing too much for such low-cost upgrade. They should have a smaller chance, or be limited by some cmax value.

- there should be a limit on how much arena rep. you can gain from one type of survival. Logically, it's a great feat when you defeat some monster, but not much if you do it 30 times after that.

- makeup items and parfumes are relatively balanced, but fatigue reducing potions are really profitable later on. btw. listing for how long effect of items last would be really friendly

- still wondering why starting wage of a prostitute is 4 times less then what other professions wants.

- prostitute ranks wants a ok amounts of refinement and money, but laughable experience - in time a girl have enough refinement, she have like 400k exp and it wants 50k

- we should put more brothels in

- food poisoning if fun, I totally forget something like that is in  :)  (and seriously, the whole alpha is much more fun then I thought it would be - so much that I was only playing until now and did nothing else)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:13:21 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2545 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »
- I think we should add a disposition increase when MC personally saves a girl from customer. Because she gets -100 when you are not here, it would be nice to have a chance to win some back too.

Good idea!

- experience for warriors from guard job is very low. That's totally understandable when nothing is happening, but they don't get any more noticeable experience even if they get to fight the customer.

It gets better after building is updated.

- experience scaling in dogfights is very disappointing. I've taken great length to take my warrior girl through arena fight, and when she actually survived the fight, in like 1 of 10 attempts (with a week of healing between each), she go only 90 experience, while my MC got 900. =no point at all in taking a challenge

No point in changing that as experience should work differently all together. I'll take a look after I am done with stats scaling anyway.

- but on the other hand, levels for guard seem to not be required at all, because with lv3, my girl was able to easily fight off every customer that threatens even my lv35 prostitutes  :)

Customers in the bar/club are usually a lot stronger (more numerous actually).

- flowerbeds are doing too much for such low-cost upgrade. They should have a smaller chance, or be limited by some cmax value.

Noted.

- there should be a limit on how much arena rep. you can gain from one type of survival. Logically, it's a great feat when you defeat some monster, but not much if you do it 30 times after that.

Oki, I'll look into that.

- makeup items and parfumes are relatively balanced, but fatigue reducing potions are really profitable later on. btw. listing for how long effect of items last would be really friendly

Wrong department :D

- still wondering why starting wage of a prostitute is 4 times less then what other professions wants. I was thinking about keeping a one cleaning girl just for fun, but that would bankrupt me in no time...  7 whores can support one warrior in wage, but noone else. (in early game with 2 brothels)

- prostitute ranks wants a ok amounts of refinement and money, but laughable experience - in time a girl have enough refinement, she have like 400k exp and it wants 50k

I think taxes in the middlegame might become murderous again... I'll work on it when I get there. Wages should be client related, I'll figure it out when I get there. Not it's just stats/ranks and clients all have infinite money.

Noted on the experience front, that's an old code that isn't balanced.

- we should put more brothels in

- food poisoning if fun, I totally forget something like that is in  :)  (and seriously, the whole alpha is much more fun then I thought it would be - so much that I was only playing until now and did nothing else)

What's stopping you?

Kewl :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #2546 on: April 01, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
What's stopping you?

Kewl :)
I think we didn't do that for alpha, because you had some advanced system for rooms in mind? But if it's not the case for near future, I'll look into that. It's really a super easy to add a building in .json :)   only think to solve are those distorted pictures.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:18:45 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2547 on: April 01, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
I think we didn't do that for alpha, because you had some advanced system for rooms in mind? But if it's not the case for near future, I'll look into that. It's really a super easy to add a building in .json :)   only think to solve are those distorted pictures.

Fixing pics should be easy.

I am 60% done with the stats rescaling... Don't know if it'll work out or not cause me game is still broken :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2548 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
SF:

- Stats completely rescaled
- Number of sideeffects from rescaling removed
- Added intelligence stat to girls profile

Hundreds of lines of code had been rewritten/rescaled so obviously this requires extensive testing. Not mentioning that this can have sideeffects on almost anything in the game.

Code is a lot cleaner now and a LOT better readable. I believe that there were errors in the old code that either never surfaced or at the very least revealed themselves in ways we couldn't understand (weird stats/items behavior). This should work a lot better now and with everything in one place, it will be a lot simpler to fix in the future.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:14:33 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2549 on: April 02, 2014, 02:31:44 AM »
- makeup items and parfumes are relatively balanced, but fatigue reducing potions are really profitable later on.
Yup, they probably should be more expensive and rare.

Wrong department
I cannot add indicators for how long effect of items last  ::)

- Stats completely rescaled
I hope you removed stats normalization as well. We shouldn't make every girl ready for anything, it's player's work.