Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821917 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #2820 on: June 25, 2014, 06:21:05 AM »
Yeah, I know.

If you worry about events stat checks and min values, well, it could cause troubles indeed, so it might require some additional coding, like ignoring min values in some cases. But it seems quite reasonalbe for some traits, especially for fatigue/joy.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #2821 on: June 25, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
Yeah, I know.

If you worry about events stat checks and min values, well, it could cause troubles indeed, so it might require some additional coding, like ignoring min values in some cases. But it seems quite reasonalbe for some traits, especially for fatigue/joy.

We can do that obviously, it just seems like one of those unnecessary things that can cause problems and confusion all over the code.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2822 on: June 25, 2014, 08:20:12 AM »
Possible effect for tsundere trait: with disposition 900 or more trait works in reverse.

Meaning that if with low disposition it gives
    "mod": {"character": 40, "blowjob": -20, "service": -30, "upkeep": 15},
    "max": {"character": 20, "blowjob": -10, "service": -20},
then with high it gives
    "mod": {"character": -40, "blowjob": 20, "service": 30, "upkeep": -15},
    "max": {"character": -20, "blowjob": 10, "service": 20}

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2823 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
Possible effect for tsundere trait: with disposition 900 or more trait works in reverse.

Meaning that if with low disposition it gives
    "mod": {"character": 40, "blowjob": -20, "service": -30, "upkeep": 15},
    "max": {"character": 20, "blowjob": -10, "service": -20},
then with high it gives
    "mod": {"character": -40, "blowjob": 20, "service": 30, "upkeep": -15},
    "max": {"character": -20, "blowjob": 10, "service": 20}

Edit: You want the effects to be reapplied after the disposition is reached? Code for that would be annoyingly complex and messy and if that's the case, we're not going to do that (it is never worth the effort as I've seen from some previous designs).

Ok, just don't make too many new effects.

I think nowadays that more and better features with simpler logic are better than less with complex logic. It's quite the opposite to where I've started but it seems to be the case.

Working with drag&drop is fun... I am trying a couple of things out right now and I don't like the fact that the drag seem to require their own positioning calculations...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:38:58 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2824 on: June 25, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »
Um, I don't understand your question.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2825 on: June 25, 2014, 09:05:08 AM »
Um, I don't understand your question.

I don't understand how you want that effect to work. Basically, trait mod effects are being applied in small bits per 5 levels. Trait max is applied once when the trait first activates.

So "flipping" effects of the trait after certain level of disposition is reached is not very easy. It's not exactly very hard either (since it's python) but it will most likely require checks in multiple places and a bit of time/concentration (since I haven't touched traits code in quite a while).

We have more important stuff to take care of right now. Traits can prolly be left as they are with slightly increased effects in some places and some form of automated system based on traits that could report race to the field. You can go on modding/converting the traits if you like, just lets avoid new types of complex logic. I am working on drag/drop interface right now, Klaus is writing some kiss da frog event and there is an extensive TODO list. I honestly think that traits are a very good design for the current game and simply increasing their power will be more than enough until we feel like the system should be revisited.

In fact, items seem to be in much worse shape right now because their maxes and effects/prices were created before levels started to push max caps.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2826 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
That's what I do, increase their power where it seems logical and divide into 3 jsons (mind, body, origin).
Also there are too many blocked traits sometimes, now I block only absolutely incompatible ones.

If it would be more simple to flip only max/min or only mod part, be my guest, it doesn't mean much.
If it's too difficult either way, well, too bad. Then we'll have to create even more checks in code and texts to give tsundere trait more meaning.

My TODO list is:
1) traits
2) moar balance for club and bar
3) cusomers sheet
4) locations for exploration
5) items
6) converting girls data files to jsons

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2827 on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
No idea why do you want some additinal system to report race to the field depending on traits.
To make it work perfectly even now we'll need a couple of new traits.
To make it work perfectly in the future we'll need dozens of new traits.

I suggest to use two fields in girls data files, race and base_race. Race is an arbitrary string, base_race is that human/elf/monster system that you proposed and that can be expend in the future.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2828 on: June 25, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »
No idea why do you want some additinal system to report race to the field depending on traits.
To make it work perfectly even now we'll need a couple of new traits.
To make it work perfectly in the future we'll need dozens of new traits.

I suggest to use two fields in girls data files, race and base_race. Race is an arbitrary string, base_race is that human/elf/monster system that you proposed and that can be expend in the future.

I'll handle it, as long as race can be drawn from traits. It's to simplify coding, I want to check:

if girl.race == "Human":

instead of if "Not Human" not in girl.traits:

It's better for the future. girl.race will be determined by her traits through a property.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2829 on: June 25, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
Alright, and how are you going do divide angels from demons (Alien), or elves from slimes (Not Human)?
I expect to find slimes in a sewer and elves in a forest, not in both places. Should I begin to create more traits for race checks already?  ::)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2830 on: June 25, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
Alright, and how are you going do divide angels from demons (Alien), or elves from slimes (Not Human)?

I keep telling you, if you don't want race as a field, create traits and tell me how. I don't give a sh!t how it's done, as long as that is doable.

This drag/drop thing is going to take a while, I figured most of it out but it requires some complex logic to work it.

** Oh, I finally added mousewheel to almost everywhere with pages (except shops). Now it's possible to go through inventory, girls profiles, next day reports and etc using the wheel. Will be there with the next update, it's very intuitive, more so than I've expected.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2831 on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
Lol, I told you about two fields just now. Why create dozens of traits only to check them once when you can use 1 new simple field?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2832 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
Lol, I told you about two fields just now. Why create dozens of traits only to check them once when you can use 1 new simple field?

Because I thought that you wanted to have unique traits for every race. If that was the case, fields would have been useless and become just a thing that a game can set automatically. I was in favor of simple field from the start if you remember :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2833 on: June 25, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
Nah, there will be unique bonuses/penalties and maybe effects for base races. In a separate json probably. And in the future.
It's just less messy and easier than too many traits.

Right now base races we could use are Human, Elf, Angel, Demon, Monster, Furry, Droid, Unknown, Undead.
That will cover all our (mine and Cherry's) existing characters, no matter how their actual race is called. We will add more if needed.
And we probably shouldn't display base race anywhere in the game, it might be too confusing, just race field should be enough.

Again, if you didn't understand all that, an example.
Dark Elf, Forest Elf, Watever Elf should be in race field and be displayed in character's profile.
Base race for all of them is Elf. That's how the game knows that they are live in the forest and hate slavery.
Also fairies, dryads, nymphs, etc are Elf base race too, because there is little difference in terms of behavior, mentality and dwelling place. And it should be hidden from players to not confuse them.

If you don't want to bother with so many base races for now, Human/Elf/Unknown are enough, we'll add more in time.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2834 on: June 25, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
Kewl, it's up to you (we could do with more races than needed, it'll make exploration better I expect) :)

I ran into a couple of oddities with the drag/drop... I asked devs to clarify one of those on lemma, rest will prolly straiten themselves out in time.

Otherwise it's progressing slow but steady.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:20:41 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?