devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821190 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #3525 on: August 28, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
@Xela: How is FG building named for placing girls in it?
I would like to have some girls there from a start for easier testing, so I tried send some to: girl.location = "Fighters Guild"  but that is not working.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #3526 on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
@Xela: How is FG building named for placing girls in it?
I would like to have some girls there from a start for easier testing, so I tried send some to: girl.location = "Fighters Guild"  but that is not working.

girl.location = fg

should work. Be sure that you set this after the guild is loaded into the game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3527 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
Still don't really know what I should prioritise so if any of you wanna just throw something at me, go ahead.
If you don't know what to do and don't have any preferences yet, you can start with either resolving known issues with items/traits systems and min/max levels of stats or creating a slave training system (we even have a concept for it). However, any help is welcomed.

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #3528 on: August 29, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
Yeah, I can look at the stats / slave training. Lets see how badly I can change everything.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3529 on: August 29, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
Yeah, I can look at the stats / slave training. Lets see how badly I can change everything.

:)

BE is a decent bet as well, it's isolated and could use improvement (Dark wants rows). I don't know if it's better to try and improve the Jakes BE or code a new one.

Crafting might be an interesting module to work with as well.

Since the game is "multidimensional" you can pick whatever seems to be the most appealing to you :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3530 on: August 30, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »
I run into something I don't understand how to do:
Code: [Select]
                        for key in self.mobs:
                            if dice(self.mobs[key][0]):
                                enemies = (self.mobs[key][2])
when I put 2 entries of the same mob in json:
"mobs": {"Wolf": [30, [1, 0.1, 2], 3],"Wolf": [10, [1, 0.1, 2], 2]}the game only uses values from the last one.
Is there a way to made it check for each one? (if it would be too complicated then np, I try to figure some workaround)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:57:12 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3531 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »
I run into something I don't understand how to do:
                        for key in self.mobs:
                            if dice(self.mobs[key][0]):
                                enemies = (self.mobs[key][2])
when I put 2 entries of the same mob in json:
"mobs": {"Wolf": [30, [1, 0.1, 2], 3],"Wolf": [10, [1, 0.1, 2], 2]}the game only uses values from the last one.
Is there a way to made it check for each one? (if it would be too complicated then np, I try to figure some workaround)

You can't have two keys in a dict that are the same...

You can restructure the dict itself and use something else for the keys.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3532 on: August 30, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
You can't have two keys in a dict that are the same...

You can restructure the dict itself and use something else for the keys.
ok, ty.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3533 on: August 30, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »
We have brand new items for head slot thanks to Klaus. As soon as the slot will be added to the game, I'll push icons and json.

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #3534 on: August 30, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
I've gone through your concept for the ST and done a bit of theory-crafting. Before I go any futher could you tell exactly (or at least a general idea) what you use each stat (health, int, etc) for currently / what you plan to do with them? Also could you clarify "resolving known issues with items/traits systems and min/max levels of stats"?

Lot of what your talking about requires some prerequisite knowledge of your past development and only so much can be gleamed from the code.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3535 on: August 30, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
I've gone through your concept for the ST and done a bit of theory-crafting. Before I go any futher could you tell exactly (or at least a general idea) what you use each stat (health, int, etc) for currently / what you plan to do with them? Also could you clarify "resolving known issues with items/traits systems and min/max levels of stats"?

Lot of what your talking about requires some prerequisite knowledge of your past development and only so much can be gleamed from the code.

Items/traits proposal was prolly the worst entry point into development as it deals with a lot of in depth logic. That's why I suggested Battle Engine and reaffirmed slave training as those are separate modules that don't assume you know the game right off the bat.

There is nothing wrong with items/traits. Dark wants a very complex system with loads of options and having game anticipating every single scenario. I am not confident that it's a reasonable approach. In any case, creating extra layers of stats and delimiters would make it possible but right now the only issue are two or three items and slight modifications to them will make the game run perfectly.

*Stats:
You can play the game a bit to figure it out but in general:

Health: Damage to the character. 0 - (No fixed max) Used everywhere, also a battle-stat.
Vitality: Ability to preform any tasks (inverted Fatigue), defines how tired a character is. (0 - 300). Used everywhere.
Charisma: Beauty and Persuasion ranged 0 - (No fixed max), use mostly during girlsmeets, strip job, interactions, sex jobs.
Refinement: Sort of noblemen behavior, more or less the dictionary definition of a word. (0 - no fixed max). Use for some jobs.
Libido: Extra modifier during the sex jobs. Presently not used. (0 - 100)
Constitution: Kind of strength of body. One of the most important stats in the game as Action Points depend on it. (0 - No fixed max)
Joy: Happiness of the character. Used in a lot of places (0 - 100)
Character: Will-fullness, inverted obedience, persistence of personal believes. Used in a lot of places. (0 - no fixed max)
Reputation: Not widely used. Reputation in a city, high means positive, low negative. There is no content to specify what exactly negative and positive mean in specific terms. (0 - 100)
Fame: Same as above but determines how well known character is.
Mood: Not used.
Disposition: Attitude towards main character ranged (-1000 to 1000), used in a lot of places in the game.
Intelligence: (0 - no fixed max). Means exactly what you expect.
Luck: (-50 to 50). Used in a lot of places, to improve random chances, increase rewards, increase chance of critical hits in BE and etc.
Attack/Magic/Defence/Agility/MP are all battle stats. Usually mean what you'd expect and don't have fixed max with 0 being the minimum.
Service: General stat for all service related tasks like bar-tending, waiting (being a waitress), cleaning and so on. 0 - no fixed max.
Anal/NormalSex/BlowJob/Lesbian - sex stats (0 - no fixed max)
Strip: Striptease stat, same range as the above.

Stats have two maximums called max and lvl_max, for fixed stats they are the same while for normal stats, they increase on per level basis. max is generally higher but increases slower (3 points) while level max is lower at a start but increases faster (5 points per level). Items and traits can raise normal maximum, nothing except leveling up can raise level maximum. Obviously expensive, powerful items that can raise normal maximum will be much more effective at higher level.

I hope this clears some things up a bit :)

PS: MC (always male at this development stage) has one sex stat to replace all sex stats. Range depends on a class chosen at game start.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3536 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
I should add to the above:

*Leveling system is taken from D&D but made more or less linear (look at exp_adjust function) as we didn't have enough time/coding experience to make it work properly (resolve depending on levels of involved characters).

*Slaves are not allowed to fight as per games concept.

===================================
Otherwise, I did a bit of work on FG again and spent almost 4 hours yesterday isolating Drag&Drop code to send it to Ren'Py developer so he can fix the bugs. I'll try to put in some good time into the game tomorrow morning, maybe wrap some loose ends around the guild and add descriptions to elements + other stuff Dark mentioned recently.

Edit: I was cleaning up some old files and found a link to the old torrent file. To my great surprise it was still alive with 20 seeders somehow (links to it were broken for weeks). I've updated the release posts accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:49:38 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #3537 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
I pushed updated json of my SE location with item drop lists, and I also made some changes on the drop and encounter chances. And some items for it, but those are not finished as lot of them have missing descriptions.

I finish it sometime later, I probably look at the tavern now for a change...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:22:50 PM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #3538 on: August 31, 2014, 01:41:13 AM »
Also could you clarify "resolving known issues with items/traits systems and min/max levels of stats"?
I'll quote Xela here:

I think that all items/traits that reduce the maximums should be removed from the game or redesigned just like all items/traits that push minimum out of range were redesigned. Right now there is a good amount of items that when used, reduce the maximum below 0 completely f#cking up some part of the game. Code that would be required to mitigate that is very complicated and would be hard to work with just as it would have been for minimums. I've noticed that after the recent items review.
we need to expand the concept...

Items have gotten too complicated, they can:

Add a trait permanently
Add a trait temporarily
Track if a trait that was added temporarily doesn't remove a trait that was there permanently when reversed
Add a permanent trait when their is a temporary trait in place
Remove a permanent trait when there is a temporary trait in place
Add stats after being work for x number of turns
Mod stat temporarily
Mod stat permanently
Mod max stat temporarily
Mod max stat permanently
Make sure items do not take stats with them when they are removed if those stats were maxed out already
Make sure that items do not prevent the ability to gain stats while those items are worn

I prolly forgot a bunch of stuff + I doubt all of this is actually used or been properly tested. Traits themselves complicate it all even further...

Basically, the main problem right now are items like Ultimate potions that just send max to a complete sh!thole. Maybe with that removed, nothing else needs to be done... extensive testing required :) (as in a release, even Jaeke wouldn't be able to test every combination).

If tweaking the ultimate potions isn't enough, we could add level requirement to use an item, making sure higher levels with much higher max will prevent it going below 0. Otherwise I'll have to revisit the the system again, I was a lot less versed in python when it was written than now so there may be something that can be done without too much fuss. But in that case, we should expand the system while I'm at it, I recall you had some ideas for an expansion as well.

The way how the game tracks bonuses and penalties to stats is not perfect, especially when we talking about min and max values. Because of it we cannot use many ideas for items, and some existing items don't work as intended. Traits have the same problem, because they operate with min/max values as well.

Offline pelusa1ca

« Reply #3539 on: August 31, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »
Based on what is being discussed and described the next release sounds simple awesome.

Cheers,

P