Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821711 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4050 on: November 15, 2014, 04:17:51 AM »
I mean, we already can use it, not in the future. It's not difficult to write rumors even for me, and it will be useful for temple of time quests.

I think we need to limit quests availability either by MC's level or fame, like they do in many games. To make sure that lvl1 character don't have endgame tasks.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #4051 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:42 AM »
I mean, we already can use it, not in the future. It's not difficult to write rumors even for me, and it will be useful for temple of time quests.

I think we need to limit quests availability either by MC's level or fame, like they do in many games. To make sure that lvl1 character don't have endgame tasks.

What's stopping you? :D

Just use the conditions, you can put whatever you like in there.

Fonts again for me tonight... still some stuff left to do...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4052 on: November 15, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »
Oh, I haven't noticed that we already have it in the game, my bad  :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4053 on: November 15, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »
There is a game released recently, Lords of Xulima. It has BE very similar to how I imagined it when I proposed to change the view.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4054 on: November 15, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
There is a game released recently, Lords of Xulima. It has BE very similar to how I imagined it when I proposed to change the view.

I kinda prefer our system to this sort of view, but it's doable... Going to put in a few hours into rewriting more screens tonight, ledgers are next.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4055 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
I just propose you to pirate it, take a look and form an opinion  :)
Pushed some things for the temple. The folders structure is very chaotic currently, it's challenging to decide where to place files for npcs and locations.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4056 on: November 15, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »
I just propose you to pirate it, take a look and form an opinion  :)
Pushed some things for the temple. The folders structure is very chaotic currently, it's challenging to decide where to place files for npcs and locations.

I took a look at pictures of their be, it's enough for now (while we're working on other stuff).

Pushed more fonts refactoring, I am also clearing up screens code while at it. Finished half-way through brothel management screen, all ledgers are done on the other hand :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Gismo

« Reply #4057 on: November 15, 2014, 10:20:42 PM »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4058 on: November 16, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
^Looks much better in my opinion!

Quote from: DarkTl
We could use Cherry's tavern for rumors, both general to introduce the game world and quest ones to advance through quests.
And I wonder what is the best approach: to make one fixed npc (information dealer or something) or use several generic npcs and pick one of them randomly when you ask people about rumors.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4059 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »
^Looks much better in my opinion!

It definitely looks better already, I asked Gismo to change the color pattern.

And I wonder what is the best approach: to make one fixed npc (information dealer or something) or use several generic npcs and pick one of them randomly when you ask people about rumors.

How about some bartender/owner?
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4060 on: November 16, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »
Cleared up more screens, using the new fonts and frames. This takes insane amount of time... Next few weeks is going to be very busy again, if time permits, next day and arena screens are still left.

Like what we're doing?

Offline kyuubi43

« Reply #4061 on: November 16, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
Seeing all these awesome screenshots really makes one wonder when the next stable version will be released

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #4062 on: November 17, 2014, 04:09:16 AM »
I tried to add a quest in the game, but I'm a bit confused about how to do that.

In that Strange Idol example, there is only:
Code: [Select]
$ pytfall.world_quests.get(event.quest).next_in_label("You found a piece of an idol! How strange.", "piece1") # Can access the quest straight in the event.but how that knows for what quest it is?

What I would like to know is how to register a quest and add it's description to the quest list from a non-quest label? Like starting multiple quest from one dialogue menu? (let's say, from conversation with that arena girl Xeona or custom girl interaction label)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:15:28 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4063 on: November 17, 2014, 05:43:09 AM »
Seeing all these awesome screenshots really makes one wonder when the next stable version will be released

No idea... we still have to little in a sense of new content.

In that Strange Idol example, there is only:
$ pytfall.world_quests.get(event.quest).next_in_label("You found a piece of an idol! How strange.", "piece1") # Can access the quest straight in the event.but how that knows for what quest it is?

.get(event.quest) is used to figure out what quest it is (in this case), you don't have to do it that way as shown in frog princess quest.

What I would like to know is, how to register a quest and add it's description to the quest list from a non-quest label? Like starting multiple quest from one dialogue menu? (let's say, from conversation with that arena girl Xeona or custom girl interaction label)

Basics:

Events: A system that allows you viewing new content (jumping to labels) on (sometimes very advanced) conditions when entering a location or clicking a Look Around button.
Quests: A system to sort and log messages.

Both systems allow setting internal flags and come with a number of conveniences that you need to look up in their code and comments.

To register a quest (as stated in the comments):

In init:
register_quest("My Cool Quest")
In any label (executed in store context, so basically in any normal label like Xeonas):
register_quest_in_label("My Cool Quest")
Will do the trick. After a quest has been created you can add messages to it:

pytfall.world_quests.get("My Cool Quest").next_in_label("Started My Cool Quest")This will automatically start the quest if it hasn't been started yet or advance it to the next stage (log in a new message).

Next should be used to progress to the next stage of the quest as well and it can be used any amount if times.

pytfall.world_quests.get("My Cool Quest").finish_in_label("Finished My Cool Quest")Will finish the quest.

As you can see, quests don't need to be events, events don't need to be quests and you can start, log stuff and finish a quest from any label in the game. When you use quests together with events (A series of events is usually a quest), there are plenty of "helpers", like quest condition function Thewlis showed off in Idol event.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #4064 on: November 17, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
@Xela
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know.

Looks that it should be easy to do SE related quests/events that involves unlocking new locations or adding items and girls to find to the old ones. But I dunno if it's worth creating something like bring me xy items as a quest as it sounds rather boring...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:31:40 AM by CherryWood »