devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821663 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4065 on: November 17, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
Looks that it should be easy to do SE related quests/events that involves unlocking new locations or adding items and girls to find to the old ones. But I dunno if it's worth creating something like bring me xy items as a quest as it sounds rather boring...

If that's boring we should just stop with development cause that is one of the definitions of quests/content as I've envisioned them... You get unique content that you cannot get from the shops or normal gameplay, have to preform tasks and advance the game (until you can reach the SE area). You can set up many flags, in my mind we should have quests like these for SE/ST/Arena/Brothels and etc.

So feel free to create the quests and let me/Thewlis know of you need conditioning that you cannot figure out on your own.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4066 on: November 17, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
We might as well make it centralized like in Agarest, where all "bring us X of Y" quests are handled by one guild (and one script) instead of multiple npcs/scripts. I mean only simple quest where you need to collect stuff using SE.

Other types of quests could involve special slave training, unusual fights at arena and adventures inside EE (not SE). ST, BE and EE are not really ready yet, so let's make some collecting quests for a start.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4067 on: November 17, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »
We might as well make it centralized like in Agarest, where all "bring us X of Y" quests are handled by one guild (and one script) instead of multiple npcs/scripts. I mean only simple quest where you need to collect stuff using SE.

Other types of quests could involve special slave training, unusual fights at arena and adventures inside EE (not SE). ST, BE and EE are not really ready yet, so let's make some collecting quests for a start.

Elder scrolls seem to be working just fine when handling all quests in bulk, we had a quest manager system for over a month and the event system for five or six (if not more) and still have just two quests and a handful of events, lets "Solve the problems as they arise"...

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4068 on: November 17, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Um, a guild requires much less time and resources, because you don't need a new npc and prehistory for every new simple collecting quest.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4069 on: November 17, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »
Um, a guild requires much less time and resources, because you don't need a new npc and prehistory for every new simple collecting quest.

Than create a guild, it still wouldn't mean that quests need to be displayed separately from all others. If quests are too simple and repetitive, there is prolly no point of logging them in at all, just handle everything in the guild label and outside of quest system/log them in simple class/variables.

*just feels to me that when we wrap something up and prepare a code base, something else is requested while no new content is created with what we have. That needs to end... Until we create some content (and maybe even unique content) for modules that we have or we're developing right now, creating new once is just silly, we already have more logical script than we have written content, that is ridiculous no matter how you look at it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #4070 on: November 17, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
A few notes on quests depending on what you're doing with them:

Any quest that doesn't have any events that belong to them waiting in the event manager will be automatically failed. If you want a quest to persist without events you need to pass manual=True to the register functions or to the next functions if you're moving to an event-less state. Passing manual=False to a next function makes it rely on events again.

Also, passing auto="prompt" to the register functions will make the quest auto-start when you begin a new game with the prompt specified.

If you want to fail a quest, you need to call pytfall.world_quests.fail_quest(quest).

When you update a quest you'll get a popup telling you what the new update is. This could happen many times in 1 scene and may get annoying (or you may just want to hide an update). Calling pytfall.world_quests.squelch_quest(quest) will stop any more popups from appearing until you change location.

The next and finish functions also accepts flags and the to argument.

Flags are simply stored for you to check for (say you were given a choice that would update the quest either way, but you need to log which one was taken) using the quest.flag("name") function.

Whenever you call a next or finish function, the quest increments a counter inside it called stage. This is a handy check for how far along the quest is. Passing to=15 would update the quest to that stage instead of an automatic increment.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4071 on: November 17, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
Any quest that doesn't have any events that belong to them waiting in the event manager will be automatically failed. If you want a quest to persist without events you need to pass manual=True to the register functions or to the next functions if you're moving to an event-less state. Passing manual=False to a next function makes it rely on events again.

I didn't know that... it's odd that frog thing doesn't fail half way then, I'll take a look at it later.

*Edit: Yeah, quest is being counted as failed and (unrelated) Abbies screens and buttons are messed up...
**Frog event will be fixed with the next push.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:52:58 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Thewlis

• Its hentai, quiaff?
« Reply #4072 on: November 17, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
I didn't know that... it's odd that frog thing doesn't fail half way then, I'll take a look at it later.

Really? I'm sure you're the one that asked me to put that in...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4073 on: November 17, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
Really? I'm sure you're the one that asked me to put that in...

That sounds sensible but I thought frog quest was working... Turns out that it wasn't :)

Anyway, frog thing is fixed and I've updated quests screen a bit. Gismo is also finished with a (much) better version of the girls profile screen.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4074 on: November 17, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »
just feels to me that when we wrap something up and prepare a code base, something else is requested while no new content is created with what we have. That needs to end...
As much as I'd like to see more content, it requires actual modules to be implemented properly.
I propose to finish tagger, BE (because arena), SE, ST, clones (because it's mostly about balancing and content rather than coding) and MC house (because you need to live somewhere if you don't have a brothel and focusing on arena or SE, as well as girls that help you), and then work on content until we'll be satisfied enough to continue adding modules.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4075 on: November 18, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »

I can't even tell how long it will take to "finish" those things or determine what finishing them means. A lot of stuff is already working for those modules and there is very little preventing us from creating content for them.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4076 on: November 18, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
We have SE and ST ready for content. And quests system that I didn't mention back then. BE and MC's house are nothing but placeholders currently. Tagger and clones are, well, not existing.
I'm studing the code and making temple meanwhile.

Offline livingforever

« Reply #4077 on: November 18, 2014, 07:46:17 AM »
Hi!
I don't see why you need the new tagger for creating content. I mean yeah, there are still no tags for slave training and stuff like that, but that's not depending on me, is it?

Anyway, if you want more progress reports from me, sure, no problem - just ask.
Have fun!

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4078 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
Oh, I forgot that items system has overgrown initial concept too, not to mention that I recall some problems with stats tracking there.

I mean yeah, there are still no tags for slave training and stuff like that, but that's not depending on me, is it?
Sorry, I didn't follow your progress in last two weeks or so. Does the software ready? I mean, it can read and write tags using pictures names?

Offline livingforever

« Reply #4079 on: November 18, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »
Sorry, I didn't follow your progress in last two weeks or so.
That's because I rarely posted any progress reports, that's why you should tell me if you want them.

I mean, it can read and write tags using pictures names?
In theory, that's working since a long while. In practice, I'm still working on details (that are completely unnecessary, but I don't like delivering incomplete products).
Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:11:52 AM by livingforever »